PDA

View Full Version : What Have I Done???>>>...

gobytron
07-11-2012, 03:36 PM
I have been having a hard time with grape caulerpa lately and I just havent had the time or inclination to figure out and deal with whatever is causing my nutrients to fuel this growth...

I have been considering getting some kind of herbivore for a while now and I stopped by JL yesterday and sort of impulsed one.

I had done research on foxfaces in general and decided I wanted to try one so when I saw the Gold Spotted version in JL I was enamoured.

I told the girl who was working (i hadnt been into JL for months and did not recognize a single person working there) about my set up and she told me this fish would be fine in my tank...I should have known better but I have learned to trust JL in general so I was surprised when I got home and did the research i should have done before buying on the specifics of this particular fish....

IT GETS UP TO 16"...
my tank is only 50"...

I'll keep this guy until he eats his fill and doubles in size to 8-10" but then he will need a new home.

180 gal plus only please.

40$ (thats 2/3 of what I paid) for those with tanks under 300 gallons but over 180.

30$ if you're tank is over 300 gallons and running for over 2 years....(Untamed, I wwould gladly trade you for coral).

Skimmerking
07-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Goby if you run Phosban aggressively that should help deplete it and I have used KALk paste on the base of where the Algae is. worked for me..

HTH

gobytron
07-11-2012, 11:21 PM
Every system is different.

I run gfo and keep up on my water changes.
I also have a large CPR aquafuge running on this tank with Chaeto in it.

The issue goes beyond normal phosphate production as I'm already taking the normal preventative measures.

I test 0, but that's just how aggressively grape caulerpa grows and consumes it..

Timbits
07-11-2012, 11:50 PM
Hi I had a huge problem with grape caulerpa too, it started over taking my rocks and even corals too. I finally got rid of it by removing most of it by hand. I was lucky enough to be able to take the rocks out and scrub them. Whatever tiny pieces were left they died off quickly. If u r able to take the rocks out or remove most of it by hand I highly suggest it. U have to remove almost all of it out tho, running phosban aggressively will do the rest. If you just remove a little, that won't work it will grow back. Hopefully ur fox face will do the trick tho, I heard they love that stuff!

MKLKT
07-12-2012, 03:27 AM
Any time I had a frag that came with grape my foxface made short work of it. The fish grazes/eats at least a seaweed strip per day so it wouldn't take long. Mine is a common yellow though, not sure if that particular one would behave the same. My only gripe is that mine also eats zoas so I have to keep them caged up.

gregzz4
07-12-2012, 04:16 AM
Is this a for sale post, or a fish discussion post ... :smile:

tang daddy
07-12-2012, 04:38 AM
both

gobytron
07-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Is this a for sale post, or a fish discussion post ... :smile:

Good question.
did you come here to discuss or purchase?

gregzz4
07-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Neither
Hope you find a good home for this potential monster

Free bump

gobytron
07-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Neither
Hope you find a good home for this potential monster

Free bump

Just as I suspected.
:lol:

Considering how nice this fish looks and the fact that it's half of what you'd pay retail, I am quite confident there will be an ideal new owner for this guy somewhere on canreef.

Thank you for your input and support.

gobytron
07-13-2012, 05:09 PM
to the top