PDA

View Full Version : Do you think that pot smoke affects an aquarium?

robbyville
03-31-2004, 05:33 PM
So last night some friends and neighbours came by the house, and in conversation it came out that they "smoke" (which we knew because we smell it out on the balcony, gotta love Whistler!). Anyway, some people wanted to light up in the house which I don't allow. I laughingly said that the smoke would get taken into the skimmer air injector and get my fish stoned :lol:

So now I'm thinking, could this really happen, what do you think?

UnderWorldAquatics
03-31-2004, 05:41 PM
I think you could get your fish stoned pretty easy, any of the THC residue from the smoke will disolve in your tank water and get your fish high. If you put any pieces of the plant in the water it would do the same, they would actually have a good chance of getting higher than the individual smoking it...

JoelF
03-31-2004, 05:47 PM
A pot question from someone in Whistler? UNHEARD OF! :biggrin:

Quinn
03-31-2004, 06:20 PM
You should email Dr. Maurice Elphick at M.R.Elphick@qmul.ac.uk if you really want to know the effect of pot on fishes. He's done a fair bit of research in the area. :cool: Hooray for neurobiology. As for whether the pot smoke would get into the tank, well, I suppose it's something like a bong right? It would be interesting to know how much would be required. Water volume would be a factor, as well as the size of the fish.

powerboy
03-31-2004, 09:00 PM
I think you could get your fish stoned pretty easy, any of the THC residue from the smoke will disolve in your tank water and get your fish high. If you put any pieces of the plant in the water it would do the same, they would actually have a good chance of getting higher than the individual smoking it...

THC is not water soluble so that statement is incorrect. thats why they use water in a bong and not alcohol :)

the only way the fish would get high is if actually ingested it, and im not even sure if non mamillian creatures have THC receptors. (dont quote me on that, just a thought)

Quinn
03-31-2004, 09:12 PM
Apparently most if not all invertebrates have THC receptors. But you're right, the THC molecules would have to get into the fish somehow. Hence my note on water volume and density requirements.

robbyville
04-02-2004, 12:01 AM
Well there you go! I can now tell my wife and friends to have all the parties they want :lol:

It's amazing though how much work has been done on the subject that I thought was extraordinarily funny!

Rob

martym
04-02-2004, 12:04 AM
I have herd of a story about a guy and his friends smoking cigars in his filter room, woke up the next morning to a dead tank