PDA

View Full Version : Question about how many fish I can put in my tank. (55g)

Xyres
07-10-2012, 06:10 AM
So I have a 55g liverock/livesand tank and I was wondering how many fish I can put in there. These are what I have in mind so far:

-two clowns
-jawfish
-mandarin goby
-orange diamond goby
-cleaner shrimp
and possibly a starfish.

Along with that I already have some sea slugs that came on live rock and three hermit crabs, plus I want to add some coral and some anemones. Would this be too much? Also if I still have some room in my tank what would you add to compliment the fish i am looking at? Thanks, as I am still rather new to this. :)

windcoast reefs
07-10-2012, 06:24 AM
I think the gobies may fight. They can be really territorial! Considered any wrasses?

Xyres
07-10-2012, 06:26 AM
I have, but I'm not too sure about them as I feel like I may already be overloading my system. But I am new to salt so I'm not sure how touchy the system is.

windcoast reefs
07-10-2012, 06:27 AM
I think if you skip over one of the gobies you would be able to have a flasher or small fairy wrasse. But just make sure you let the tank mature.

Xyres
07-10-2012, 07:23 AM
Wow the flasher wrasse is beautiful! I really like it. TBH I think I would pass on the diamond goby as I will already have a jawfish to dig.

fishytime
07-10-2012, 02:05 PM
I would personally skip the mandarin.....unless you know for sure that it is eating a frozen food, it would likely starve out in a 55g

globaldesigns
07-10-2012, 03:29 PM
I would personally skip the mandarin.....unless you know for sure that it is eating a frozen food, it would likely starve out in a 55g

I agree with doug, most likely the mandarin will eat up its pod supply and starve.

Also, as others stated, look at wrasses, beautiful and great assortment of colors and patterns. I myself have purchases many wrasses in the past month: Thicklip Banner, 6 line, Potters, Black Leopard and a Bluish colored leopard wrasse.