PDA

View Full Version : 10 gal remote fuge for 29biocube.

magikof7
07-10-2012, 03:50 AM
ok, Since I can't do anything more with my tank until my other eqiupment arrives I have been toying with the Idea of a remote 10 gal Gravity return fuge. the HOB's just don't seem big enough to do much good, I also don't want it so crowded at the back that I can't work without knocking something askew.

I did some looking and can not find anything other than the drilled sump/fuge

Need a bit of help coming up with a good system.

The biocube's 1st chamber is notorious for detrius build up.
Can I use my Fluval cannister filter (fed to the bottom of the 1 st chamber) and fill the media baskets with floss and other media to remove detrius then have the return tied into the return pump hose?
Can I mod the overflow somehow to increase flow to compensate for what the cannister is pulling out or will it naturally increase with the extra flow from the return?

There is also a big debate over what is the best way to set up a fuge...6 inch DSB with rubble and macro algeas, barebottom with tumbling cheato, barebottom with rubble and cheato, there are so many.
What set up do some of you that have refugiums use?

My goals are to have extra water Volume, filtration and Pod Population.

blacknife
07-10-2012, 05:24 AM
use at your own risk, but at one point on my old 33g which was in a bay window I had a 15g on milk crates behind it fed with a small powerhead with a larger diameter vynil hose contraption siphon feeding back to the tank. the refugiem sat a couple inches higher than the top of the tank but the water levels were about the same. I used a toms aqua lifter to ensure the siphon was maintained in the hose.

worked well for a couple months until I cracked the refugieum leaning on it<nothing else to lean on back there>

Other than that hole saws are cheap and probably whatever plumbing is done properly is more safe :)

magikof7
07-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Thank you :) I might order the 10 gal so its already drilled. I can also talk to the guys there about the plumbing.

I have to custom build a stand anyway so I am going to use that to my advantage and build a shelf above the DT. It means my stand will be wider than a typical stand for a 29 but thats ok, gives me more room in the bottom to play with as well.