PDA

View Full Version : Cyno outbreak after changing lights

Lofus
03-31-2004, 03:43 PM
I've just upgraded my lights to MH from NO fluorescents and now I have a huge Cynobacteria outbreak. Is this normal?

Jim

Nemain
03-31-2004, 03:48 PM
Did you acclimatize your tank to the lights? Or just pop em in? I made that mistake and had the same problem =(

It only lasted about a week,

Beth

Delphinus
03-31-2004, 06:36 PM
Yeah (I think) it's fairly normal to have an small outbreak if you up your lighting. It should be temporary..

Lofus
03-31-2004, 10:36 PM
I followed an acclimitisation procedure of 1hr on 1 hr off for two days and then upping the on time by 15 minutes every two days.

I'll relax about the cyno then and see what it looks like in a week's time.

Thanks guys.

EmilyB
03-31-2004, 11:34 PM
I guess that explains my cyano then, as I was a little impatient with the "ramping up" part...... :redface:

Canadian Man
04-01-2004, 05:53 AM
I guess that explains my cyano then, as I was a little impatient with the "ramping up" part...... :redface:

Maybe it's the crappy euroreef :lol: :razz: :lol: :razz:

Quinn
04-01-2004, 06:04 AM
I definitely feel that my cyano problem is a mixture of insufficient skimming and flow.

mediaone
04-01-2004, 07:25 AM
It is normal to get an algae outbrake soon after changing lamps or moving to a completely new type (ie. to MH's). However, usually this is indicative of a problem present with the nutrient levels in your tank when you made the switch.

Think of the light as acting as a catalyst to fuel the even faster uptake of nutrients from your tank in to the given form of algae. This is essentially what is happening.

Interesting to note here is that cyanobacteria is not algae, however it relies on similar imputs of nutrients to spread. Once established, it has the unique ability to assimilate dissolved nitrogen from the water, as part of it's tissue! Thus it is important to remove cyano when noticed, and even medicate to kill it if it becomes substantially established. You really don't need more nitrogen input... you have enough in your food!

EmilyB
04-01-2004, 07:28 AM
Yah, I have to upgrade my Euroreef I guess. :biggrin: It was for a 150g tank afterall..... :razz:

StirCrazy
04-01-2004, 01:04 PM
I followed an acclimitisation procedure of 1hr on 1 hr off for two days and then upping the on time by 15 minutes every two days.

I'll relax about the cyno then and see what it looks like in a week's time.

Thanks guys.

watch your corals, 2 days is a little short of the recomended 4 to 5 days but things should be fine.

Steve

Delphinus
04-01-2004, 03:14 PM
I think the 1hr on / 1hr off is more to prevent UV shock / light burn to corals who are "tuned" to a certain amount of energy coming in at them.

The tank's adjustment is going to take a little while. But it will adjust. And yeah, the usual recommendations about cyano will help ... skimming, excess nutrient management, water flow, etc.

EmilyB
04-04-2004, 07:45 AM
After some consideration about then, and now - I am definitely increasing my rock. :mrgreen:

Lofus
04-05-2004, 06:19 AM
The hr on hr off thing was mainly for the couple of zoos and star polyps I have. The newer corals I expect had already been under constant MH for a while so they have not gone through the same acclimatisation.

They appear ok though.