PDA

View Full Version : Could I borrow a pH monitor and refractometer?

Son Of Skyline
03-31-2004, 03:35 PM
I was wondering if anybody has these pieces of equipment that I could borrow for a couple days (I'm in Vancouver). Considering the problems I'm having with my tank I think I need a second opinion on my pH and salinity levels.

Thanks in advance!

:biggrin:

Aquattro
03-31-2004, 04:27 PM
Mason, I don't think you'll find your problem there, but it's worth checking. Did you mention what your alk was at?

Son Of Skyline
03-31-2004, 04:48 PM
Mason, I don't think you'll find your problem there, but it's worth checking. Did you mention what your alk was at?

You're probably right Brad, but yah, at this point anything and everything is worth checking and rechecking. My alk is at 3.66 meq/L which doesn't seem all that high.

monza
03-31-2004, 05:46 PM
No expert in the Alk / CA world but is that not a really low Alk reading I thought it was supposed to be around 10. At work now so I can not confirm that, just sounds low?

Dave

Samw
03-31-2004, 05:51 PM
Its normal. My newly made IO water Alk is 3.89 meq/L or 10.9 dkH

monza
03-31-2004, 06:01 PM
Sorry your right 7 - 11 dKH is what I was thinking not meq/L.

Dave

Jason McK
03-31-2004, 06:06 PM
Monza I think your thinking dKH not Meq/L

J

Samw
04-01-2004, 05:31 AM
Mason, I don't think you'll find your problem there, but it's worth checking.

Yeah, but remember what happened to Adam's tank when his PH dropped from the excess CO2 from making beer or wine? What was his PH? Something like 7.6? That pretty much melted his Acros.

LostMind
04-01-2004, 05:45 AM
Hey Mason.

I just picked up a ph meter from Props (although I haven't calibrated it, it seems to be accurate still - matches my salifert kit). You can borrow it if you havent found one yet.

I also have a refractometer You could use for a few days as well.

PM me if you need.

Good luck

Aquattro
04-01-2004, 06:04 AM
Sam, Adam lost many corals, not just acros. And his pH was extremely low due to environmental factors induced by the winery.
It is possible, but what Mason is describing sounds exactly like my issues, and my pH and salinity are fine.
Mason, my tank has only acros afflicted by this, no other SPS. Is this the same for you?

Son Of Skyline
04-01-2004, 07:19 AM
Sam, Adam lost many corals, not just acros. And his pH was extremely low due to environmental factors induced by the winery.
It is possible, but what Mason is describing sounds exactly like my issues, and my pH and salinity are fine.
Mason, my tank has only acros afflicted by this, no other SPS. Is this the same for you?

Yup, so far it's the same with me. My birdsnests, millis, pocilipora, montis are all doing fine at the moment.