PDA

View Full Version : Power Outage

Seriak
07-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Anyone else have a power outage in SW Calgary. Should I be worried about anything in particular. I know heat won't be a problem, but overheating may be depending on the duration. Should I stick my head in the tank and blow bubbles for water flow and skimmer function. :)

FishyFishy!
07-09-2012, 08:20 PM
I'm serisouly scared about having one. I have no battery backups. No generator. And lots of construction going on everywhere around my house.

You know what this site needs to make.... and emergency warning e-mail when somewhere in Calgary has power outtages. I could take off from work and start swirling a broom stick around the tank like a witch with her pot of doom!

Delphinus
07-09-2012, 08:47 PM
I hear there are rolling blackouts all over Alberta due to the heat and electrical demand exceeding supply. If you're out then I'll assume my place is blacked out as well. Great, just great, I can't leave work for another hour and nobody's home. Hope things will come back online soon. Please post an update if you get your power back!

Delphinus
07-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Doesn't say much other than "there are blackouts" .. http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/rolling+power+outages+across+alberta/6442675892/story.html

Seriak
07-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Wife just called. Power is backup and she only had to listen to the annoying overflow alarm on my ATO for a couple minutes. :) Although she is a little out of breath from all the bubble blowing.

FishyFishy!
07-09-2012, 08:54 PM
This will be me later. Sans the fire...

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c38/bilmaga/1082949-Clipart-Warted-Green-Witch-Stirring-Her-Potion-Royalty-Free-Vector-Illustration.jpg

SteveConn
07-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Good to know. Seems that they're not doing the blackouts around the Stampede area. For once I am glad I live near the Stampede grounds.

globaldesigns
07-09-2012, 09:56 PM
I hear there are rolling blackouts all over Alberta due to the heat and electrical demand exceeding supply. If you're out then I'll assume my place is blacked out as well. Great, just great, I can't leave work for another hour and nobody's home. Hope things will come back online soon. Please post an update if you get your power back!

Tony, I have been up all day, so you are probably ok.

Flash
07-09-2012, 10:23 PM
i am trying to find out from epcor if this will be happening all night. if so i'll need to take home a generator from work. The main switcdh board lady said it is happening in edmonton as well, so I can only suspect tomorrow will be bad as well.

btymens
07-10-2012, 01:20 AM
i don't have a battery back up or a generator.. Does anyone know how much they go for?

Dr_Hicks
07-10-2012, 01:26 AM
i don't have a battery back up or a generator.. Does anyone know how much they go for?

Call up Princes Auto and find out; you will probably get a good price from them.

Edit--

Princes Auto has a 1,200W gas model for $199.99.... I'd call around to a few stores to try ad find one.

RedCoralEdmonton
07-10-2012, 01:38 AM
the rolling blackouts are going to be province wide.... not really impressed... we have had 2 days of hot weather and they cant keep up with demand??? with the prices of utilities in Alberta this shouldnt happen.....

Steve

Mike-fish
07-10-2012, 02:24 AM
Here's the funny part the system still has more to give they just don't want to open her up. That's assuming that I am reading this thing right http://ets.aeso.ca/ets_web/ip/Market/Reports/CSDReportServlet

Jakegr
07-10-2012, 03:02 AM

I'm in Calgary visiting family right now. We had a blackout in the SW that lasted about 30 minutes.

Lampshade
07-10-2012, 03:14 AM
If you're bored and want a small heads up of if there's a chance of a rolling balckout, check out :

http://ets.aeso.ca/

They can't blackout your power unless they're paying $999/MW, so when prices are low, your safe. If the projected price for next hour shoots up, and they show EEA3 in the events, you may be black soon.

blacknife
07-10-2012, 05:27 AM
I am a little out of the loop as i am not working right now but part of the problems were this last winter was keep hills had one of the old generators shut down earlier than expected and the replacement was not on line yet. not sure if this is still the case.

http://ets.aeso.ca/ that website is full of useful info.. neat.

gregzz4
07-10-2012, 07:17 AM
Rolling blackouts are a joke in our country
We have so many excess resources which we sell ...
This should never happen

Demand for power in places like California climb to a point where our own providers can't charge us any more than our contracts state, so they shut us down, rather than charge California more per KW, due to their contracts
It's all politics ....
What, you didn't know we sell our power to the US ?

Our fuel prices are hi 'cause they sell the product southwards and want to keep the prices up, yet we could be afforded prices about 2/3 what we pay now

Same thing happened in the 80's and 90's when companies like Canfor sold out to China
Our building material costs went through the roof, yet we had plants full of wood sitting and rotting

Greedy, greedy power and fuel companies :evil:

fishoholic
07-10-2012, 01:57 PM
i am trying to find out from epcor if this will be happening all night. if so i'll need to take home a generator from work. The main switcdh board lady said it is happening in edmonton as well, so I can only suspect tomorrow will be bad as well.

the rolling blackouts are going to be province wide.... not really impressed... we have had 2 days of hot weather and they cant keep up with demand??? with the prices of utilities in Alberta this shouldnt happen.....

Steve

We had it hit my work downtown yesterday it was out for at least an hour (my shift ended so I went home) not sure how much longer it was out for. I've heard that it will be out for up to 2 hours but shouldn't be out much longer then that.

Enigma
07-11-2012, 12:04 PM

Costco has 2000 Watt insulated inverters for around $500. They're made by Champion. They aren't quite as quiet as a Honda or Yamaha, but they're pretty close, and they are a whole lot cheaper (and everyone one I know who has one for their RV is pleased with them).

Non-insulated "off brand" generators are less expensive than the insulated ones, but I don't recommend RV usage. Job site usage (if you're in construction, etc.) would be okay.