PDA

View Full Version : 110 gallon + 50 gallon build

mikeclarke
07-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Hi all,

I am in the process of putting together a 110 gallon + 50 sump. I am going to have the display tank in my living room upstairs and my sump below in the furnace room.

I am concerned about what the humidity and salt might do to the furnace, internet router etc. Has anyone had experience with this? Do I need to vent the air outside, run a dehumidifier? Any suggestions would be great.

sphelps
07-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Things in close vicinity will slowly corrode over time, how much depends on many factors but it certainly is something that you should consider. Ventilation is also generally pretty much nil in mechanical rooms so too much moisture in general should be avoided otherwise mold issues can easily occur. The easiest solution would be seal the sump well with lids. Ideally an external skimmer will make things easier and there are ways to seal the skimmer as well. If heat becomes an issue and the sump needs to be vented you'll want to setup a closed cabinet and vent that outside rather than the entire mechanical room as that wouldn't completely prevent mold and corrosion issues.

mikeclarke
07-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Thanks. Will the salt effect anything? I think it is kind of funny running a dehumidifier in western Canada but I think that is what I will do first. I could vent air out the old hotwater tank chiminey too. Buy I'd have to line it with pvc to not rust the metal and then get a big ass fan to pump the air out.