PDA

View Full Version : What will eat spaghetti worms?

dc4
07-09-2012, 04:21 AM
I've had enough of these spaghetti worms all over my zoas and their little arms sticking out every inch of my sand. What eats these things?? I bought a sand sifting star fish as I read that they will eat them but I don't see it happening. I've tried pulling out as many as I can manually but dmore and more keep popping up. I know its cause I overfeed but I want my fish and corals to be nicely fed and happy. I just want to get something that will likes spaghetti but will leave the other meatballs in the tank alone...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

toytech
07-09-2012, 04:32 AM
well ill eat them for a price but i dont think i would do as good of a job as say a bannana wrasse or a melanarus. My bannana would eat any worm it could find and was cheap at j and l .

dc4
07-09-2012, 04:53 AM
well ill eat them for a price but i dont think i would do as good of a job as say a bannana wrasse or a melanarus. My bannana would eat any worm it could find and was cheap at j and l .

My wrasses (Christmas and Melanarus) don't give them a second look. It may be due to them being too full on the frozen stuff. A banana wrasse will get too big for the tank so its not a suitable answer unfortunately. I'll give you $100 if you eat all the worms in my tank and give me a year guarantee that they won't return.

Proteus
07-09-2012, 05:27 AM
How much u feed.

When I cut my feeding to every other day they dissapered and my fish were still fat and healthy

dc4
07-09-2012, 07:48 AM
How much u feed.

When I cut my feeding to every other day they dissapered and my fish were still fat and healthy

I feed a lot, pellets in the morning and then they get a cube of blood worms, mysis, and chopped clams mixed with frozen cyclopeeze, mixed powders, snow, and a piece of seaweed for dinner.

I figure, if I get hungry and eat everyday, I would think the fish would feel the same way. I destroyed my copepod population with the red bug treatment and they are just starting to make a comeback after reseeding and without daily feedings, my pair of mandarins would starve as they are trained on frozen and so would the pipe fish.

whatcaneyedo
07-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Some butterflyfish will eat them (mine does) but they'll probably go after your coral as well.

FitoPharmer
07-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Peppermint shrimp might be another option. When I bought them from the pet store they were so hungry you could watch them search every little crack for something to eat for a few days. Have you considered dipping the coral?

reefwars
07-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Peppermint shrimp might be another option. When I bought them from the pet store they were so hungry you could watch them search every little crack for something to eat for a few days. Have you considered dipping the coral?

the worms live in the sand and rock i dont think coral dipping would do much.

i have the same problem its a over feeding thing, my diamond goby would keep them out of the sand the ones in the rock eventually got burried in coral but they are still everywhere:(

dc4
07-09-2012, 04:23 PM

My peppermints have turned into lazy mofos! When I first got them, they ate aptasia, now they just sit there and wait, lol. They are like spoiled children not having to work for their food anymore. They definitely don't eat the worms though.

reefwars
07-09-2012, 04:24 PM
my peps dont touch it either:P

Proteus
07-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Simple solution is to cut back on feeding

dc4
07-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Simple solution is to cut back on feeding

I understand that its my feeding, I've stated that in my first post and I wasn't asking for a solution to the worms. I am asking what will eat them so that I can continue to feed my inhabitants the way I feel they should be fed, thanks for the suggestion though.

Butterfly is too rsiky so has anyone else seen anything eat these things.

reefwars
07-09-2012, 05:23 PM
I understand that its my feeding, I've stated that in my first post and I wasn't asking for a solution to the worms. I am asking what will eat them so that I can continue to feed my inhabitants the way I feel they should be fed, thanks for the suggestion though.

Butterfly is too rsiky so has anyone else seen anything eat these things.

i feed alot too i find it beneficial to the corals and fish, my diamond goby keeps them out of the sandbed, other than that im not sure. i would think wrasses would find easier food i know mine do lol :P

dc4
07-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Hmm, well, Im going to go back to manually pulling them out for now until I can find something that will make a meal out of these things. If anyone wants some worms that will keep your sandbed clean and dont mind them waving their feeders everywhere, let me know and Ill give you a few dozen. :wink:

reefgirl189
07-09-2012, 07:50 PM
My copperband butterfly devours any spaghetti worms. I actually 'grow' them on some live rock that lives in my sump and usually throw the rock in the display tank for an afternoon once in awhile as a treat for him.

Too bad a CBB wouldn't work out for you...

dc4
07-10-2012, 03:34 AM
My copperband butterfly devours any spaghetti worms. I actually 'grow' them on some live rock that lives in my sump and usually throw the rock in the display tank for an afternoon once in awhile as a treat for him.

Too bad a CBB wouldn't work out for you...

I would love a cbb but its just not worth the risk, lol. Every time my wife comes with me to the lfs she always asks me why I don't get a butterfly.

reefwars
07-10-2012, 05:05 AM
i enjoy clams to much for a cbb :(

dc4
07-10-2012, 06:52 AM
i enjoy clams to much for a cbb :(

Seconded.