PDA

View Full Version : New skimmer

Doug
06-25-2002, 10:06 PM
I said "look what I picked up dear". :D

Here,s a quick look at what I picked up today. Just came home. Very well built by Jayson at Saltwater Connection.

[ 25 June 2002, 18:08: Message edited by: Doug ]

DJ88
06-25-2002, 10:08 PM
I KNEW IT!! I KNEW IT!!!!! lol :D :D

well lets see it.. I have been curious to see one of Jaysons skimmers. smile.gif

Doug
06-25-2002, 10:10 PM
Your fast Darren. :D Sorry, dufus forgot to add the pic. :rolleyes:

http://dlowey.homestead.com/files/DCP00817.jpg

DJ88
06-25-2002, 10:16 PM
Woah.. that is NICE!

can you email me the full size shot? or more detailed pics.. that is a nice skimmer. smile.gif

Doug
06-25-2002, 10:30 PM
On the way Darren. Will shoot lots more later.

Troy F
06-25-2002, 11:42 PM
That is a very large skimmer. Nice work Jayson! Are you allowed to disclose the price? Now what are you going to do with that nice little Euroreef?

Jayson
06-26-2002, 12:10 AM
I am not sure if I should disclose the price. I am not sure on Titus's view. If you would like pricing and sizes feel free to contact me. Thanks for the nice comments.

stephane
06-26-2002, 12:11 AM
How! it seem very well made from the first view this skimmer look realy well design.

Did the becket injector could be disasemble?
Wath is the size of the gate valve?
OD water colum?

Congratulation Jason very good choice he look like a my reef but you have added the swirl very good!

Hey doug put them one I can't wait to see your impression vs your euroreef :eek:

Doug
06-26-2002, 09:50 AM
The gate valve itself is 3 inches, but the pipe of it is 2 inches. Not sure what part to measure. One honkin valve though.

Yes the beckett comes out of the silencer for easy cleaning. I also am looking foward to its operation. smile.gif Comparison with my Euroreef may not be fair, as its a much larger skimmer. :eek: I will say, construction wise, its quality is as good or better than my Euroreef, which IMO, are some of the best built skimmers I have seen.

Good thick acrilic, excellent job on all the two removable sections. Undo the large thumb screws, lift and turn. After all my years playing with aquarium equipment, I am not all that easily impressed anymore, but the quality of this unit does just that. If it operates as good as it looks, then its an impressive skimmer.

I have a buyer for my Euroreef, if I sell it. Now I need to decide on the correct pump. Going to try both model 3MD pumps. I also brought a Mag 24 home. Was reading the specs last nite. That thing sucks 265 watts. :eek: Whoaaaaaaaaaaa.

stephane
06-26-2002, 01:18 PM
The 3md and my 5md are definitivaly a not enought for mine and the becket poorly perform under them
my mag18 is a way better whit only 145 watt

your mag 24 will probably be top nutch but as alway $$$$$$$$$ :D dont forget that you have more than 300 gal of water so your more on the side of a small coral farm than a hobbist :eek: hope your wife wont see this all the time you try tell her it is normal to have 300 gal tank at home!!!

DJ88
06-26-2002, 01:52 PM
MAK 4 MAK 4 MAK 4..

that is all I have to say.. ;)

lol

can't wait to hear more about this skimmer.

Doug
06-27-2002, 10:15 AM
Heh,heh. I think perhaps Stephane is correct. Not exactly a small system. smile.gif

Darren, would the Mak4 not be the close to the same as a 4MD or is it that much better. Also wondering the diff in skimmers designs being able to use different pumps. Did you try a large Mag on yours as well?

I set the skimmer up last night. Made a platform on a salt bucket. :D Dont worry Jayson, its secured to the tank. :D Just its temporary home for pump experimenting. I have my 3MD pressure pump hooked up for the first test. Cant find any inch & a half fittings to finish the return, out here in the boonies. :( Going looking today again.

Doug
06-27-2002, 08:01 PM
Hmmm, cant get it to rise. :D Foam that is you guys. Hah. Looks like the 3MD is to small. Yea I know, ya told me so.

Here,s a story for you. Talking with Jayson this morning regarding the skimmer set up. As per usual, I cant hook something up correct if I tried. :rolleyes: Just a born dufus.

Anyways, I have been waiting for the baby Regal tangs that are tank raised from eggs or whatever, to come in. Just so happens they come in today and were going to ship early next week.

Well guess who is at my place later on. There,s Jayson, with the tang and proper pipes & fittings I require for the skimmers drain.

Thing is!!, its a 3 hour drive from his house to mine. :eek: Man, now thats what I call customer service. :D

Anywho, looks like its time to unpack the Mag24, "dum,dum,dee,dum".{thats supposed to be the dramatic music, like when you pull out the big stuff}. :D :D

[ 27 June 2002, 16:02: Message edited by: Doug ]

DJ88
06-27-2002, 11:06 PM
Doug,

I think the output of the 4MD X is the same as the MAK. Just rememebr to get a pressure rated one. smile.gif

So you get the MAG running on that sucker yet? How's it workin? To bad you weren't closer. I am sure between Troy and I we could re-plumb your entire system. ;)

That is imressive. The fittings you need and a captive rasied tang. smile.gif Nice..

keep us posted.. ;)

Oh con't blow the top of that skimmer off.. open the gate up fully before you turn the pump on. ;) LOL!

Doug
06-28-2002, 10:07 AM
I have been thinking, Fudge has some 4MD,s he is selling. :D But thats only a couple hundred gals more. Cant see it being any great difference from the 3.

This is when you wished you lived somewhere, other reefers were. Would love to borrow a Mak4 to try or say an Iwaki 55.

Troy F
06-28-2002, 11:58 AM
Doug, how much head pressure before you get to the beckett? Depending on which Little Giant 4 pump you are thinking of it won't be much different than the GenX pump, the pressure rated 4MDQ-SC will not have near the waterflow as the 4MDQX-SC. I'd say that the advantage with the GenX will be noise, they are quiet and I haven't used a Little Giant that isn't noisy.

stephane
06-28-2002, 12:38 PM
Doug I never try the 4 md presure but I have a 5md pressure here and that pump run the becket less than my 3 md flow one!

What about the mag24? from what I see of my 18 that pupy should drive your becket crazy?

Hey daren have you compare a mag18 to the mak4 on
your bullet or have you even try the ampmasters?Hich one do best ?

Doug
06-28-2002, 02:46 PM
Troy, not much head pressure before entering the skimmer. I agree with the noise factor of the Little Giants.

I have Fudge,s flow model back as my main pump on the 180. Sounds like a baby turbine. :D

Going to fire up the Mag this afternoon Stephane. Had to take the dogs for a swim this morning.

DJ88
06-28-2002, 03:01 PM
Stephane,

I have run my bullet on a MAK4 and the Ampmaster.

The MAK4 blows it away. Unless I divert almost all the flow of the ampmaster to the skimmer. Then things go great. I mean REALLY great.

To accomodate this loss in flow into the main tank I am going to add a second closed loop. Then I am not worried about sending all the juice to the skimmer. Either I do that or I sell the Ampmaster and run two MAK4's. :( Yeah..

For a closed loop that Ampmaster kicks serious a$$. But splitting it's flow doesn't cut it. Especially to a Beckett skimmer.

If you can get your mitts on a MAK4 Doug I highly recommend it. Tho I know that MAG24 is gonna make that baby SCREAM.

[ 28 June 2002, 11:02: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

Doug
06-28-2002, 07:05 PM
Well, the Mags running. Tank temp already rose 2 degrees. May be to hot during this heat wave, but should keep the heaters from coming on the rest of the year. smile.gif Its actually a pretty quiet pump for a big one.

Crappy, I stuck my finger in the tank & the foam dropped a foot. :eek: Hope their not always that sensitive.

Anyways, I am sitting here on a salt bucket, drinking a Genuine Draft, watching for the foam to rise. :D Man I need a life. :D

Troy F
06-28-2002, 07:15 PM
Anyways, I am sitting here on a salt bucket, drinking a Genuine Draft, watching for the foam to rise. Man I need a life.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sounds pretty good to me. smile.gif

DJ88
06-28-2002, 07:26 PM
Tank temp already rose 2 degrees <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sounds normal for a big MAG. smile.gif

I stuck my finger in the tank & the foam dropped a foot. Hope their not always that sensitive.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Keep your hands out of the tank.. Oh wait.. this is reefkeeping. If your hands aren't in the taak at least 10x's per day you aren't doing it right. ;)

And mine does the same thing. Not a foot tho. I doubt it will be as bad once that thing really breaks in.

Anyways, I am sitting here on a salt bucket, drinking a Genuine Draft, watching for the foam to rise. Man I need a life.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Whaddya mean? that IS the life..

:D

Doug
06-28-2002, 07:35 PM
Actually your right Troy. It does sound pretty good. smile.gif

Darren, I have never been one of those hands off reefers. Gotta get into everything.Always have. I use to be in my tank in Thompson so much, my saifin use to help me frag. And of course eat some to. smile.gif

So if thats normal for a Mag, then in the cooler seasons, its should keep up some of the heat, thus shutting down the 500 watts of heaters somewhat. Perhaps it will equal out in power consumption over the long haul. :rolleyes:

stephane
06-28-2002, 07:54 PM
Doug for the heat transfert of my mag 18 I get all the case of the mag out of the water and let only the intake in the sumps so that way no heat transfert and it's realy work

For the sensitivity Im a "get your hand off" one
and try to never put my hand in so I could not help you on these

I sugest you get the water level a litle higher
I keep mine 2-3 in from the top. More eficiency and it keep cleaner

for sitting in front of the skimmer if my wife know exacly how long I do it I tink she divorce me :D

[ 28 June 2002, 15:56: Message edited by: stephane ]

Doug
06-28-2002, 09:50 PM
Just took it off line. Sheeez, I looked at it sideways and the foam fell. Worse than baking bread. :D

While I am fixing things, I hooked it to Fudge,s pump. Seems to be running fine, but sure not the volume of water coming out.

Anywho, going to plumb the drain proper, before its all over the floor.

So, if the pump transfers heat to the air like others, why not use it out of the water then? Anyone run large Mag,s inline, like we do with Mag 2,s on our reactors?

canadawest
06-29-2002, 01:00 AM
I run my Mag 9.5 inline in my closed loop. Not sure if that's considered "big" by you're guy's pump standards.

I does produce a tiny bit of heat, but probably adds no more than .5 degree to my system.

Doug
06-29-2002, 09:52 AM
Thanks Andrew, I think thats what I will do. I have used nothing larger than a Mag2 inline before.

DJ88
07-03-2002, 05:04 PM
So how's it looking so far Doug?

It sure looks good by the pics you sent me. smile.gif

[ 03 July 2002, 13:04: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

terryp01
07-04-2002, 12:53 AM
How about a couple of pictures of it in action? I would like to see what it pulls from your tank. Make sure you time stamp the pictures for the 'time lapse' view.

Thanks.

terryp01
07-04-2002, 12:54 AM
How about some time lapsed shots of the skimmer working? I would like to see what it pulls out of your tank.

Doug
07-21-2002, 11:24 AM
Ok, here ya go. Sorry no post for awile. Had Jayson make the neck a tad shorter for me and then after not much action for a week or so,{Im a beckett lame brain still} :D , I made some changes yesterday, after a talk with Jayson.

Increased pump output, by putting it in the sump & removing hard pipe bends. Not good for a Mag. smile.gif And at Jaysons advice, checked the beckett,{simple job}, found & removed a piece of pvc filings, plugging part of the injector. :eek:

Unbelievable the difference. {I learnin} :D
http://dlowey.homestead.com/files/DCP00841.jpg After 2 hrs.

Doug
07-21-2002, 11:27 AM
Collection cup after 2 hrs. and below a shot of the skimmer this morning, 18 hrs later.
http://dlowey.homestead.com/files/DCP00842.jpg

[ 21 July 2002, 07:31: Message edited by: Doug ]

Doug
07-21-2002, 11:37 AM
18hrs later.
http://dlowey.homestead.com/files/DCP00843.jpg

Jayson
07-21-2002, 06:00 PM
Titus, thanks for placing the link under retailers for me. Dougs tanks water volume is aprox 400 gallons.I build them to order I have three common sizes available. Dougs was aprox 36 inches in size. He wanted me to cut it down for him to give him a wetter foam so I think it is aprox 32 inches now. I use 3/8 acrylic for all of my skimmers and reactors. I feel that it is way stronger than 1/4 and will handle the little abuses that tend to give thing every now and then. When you use 3/8 you are assured of a very strong unit that wont leak or crack.Thanks for the comments. You have some great looking products your self. One of my customers bought a (Canreef) used reactor from someone about a year ago. I guess that this is Version 1? Thanks once again.

Skimmerking
07-21-2002, 06:12 PM
Well sorry about that ,just to let you know DAD...AKA doug sold me his EURO reef skimmer

ye haa
what a great skimmer
thanks daddy.... tongue.gif tongue.gif

Doug
07-21-2002, 06:49 PM
Built strong for clumsy dufus,s like me. If its breakable, leave it to me. :D

titus
07-22-2002, 04:27 AM
Hello Jayson,

Looks nice. A bit big and makes me itch to build a bigger skimmer for my system. :eek:

I wouldn't understand why you used such thick acrylic though. It looks like 1/2" from the photos Doug posted.

I'm putting a link to your site under Retailers.

Titus

titus
07-22-2002, 09:33 PM
Hello,

Yes I believe that'd be one of the older versions. However, the unit are all upgradable to the latest design, provided they have the appropriate parts.

Titus

Jayson
07-22-2002, 10:55 PM
I sent him the link to your upgrade page. I know he wanted to do the co2 recirc thing. I also built him a second chamber last year when the duals were big. He really likes it for the low co2 comsumption. He thinks that if he does the recirc he can get even more out of the reactor and save more co2. I will have him contact you if he needs help. Thanks