PDA

View Full Version : Help, what do you suggest

mseepman
07-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Today when I got up I noticed that my rabbit fish didn't comes out during feeding. I had noticed that he's grown thinner over the last few months despite eating okay. Today he appears to be done for. He barely swims and gets pulled into the power heads regularly. I've saved him three times from my Vortec. He's not interested in eating either and is struggling to breath.

All other fish are fine. I've done a 10% water change just to ensure water quality.

He was a good sized fish when I got him 6 years ago...is this just his time? I haven't ever had any disease in tank and all fish are years in this tank.

When should I remove him? I don't want him dying behind my rocks and unreacheable. I've never lost a large fish before...how does everyone dispose of them? Is there a humane way to handle this?

Leah
07-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Mark,

I was once told to put them into the freezer...yuck!

mseepman
07-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Mark,

I was once told to put them into the freezer...yuck!

I have done that years ago to a smaller clown that was almost gone...but this guy is 6-7" and that would take a pretty big bucket in the freezer.:sad:

Leah
07-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Bucket, shmucket go with a ziplock bag, voila!

mseepman
07-08-2012, 10:22 PM
He's comatose....didn't even flop when I picked him out....in a bucket in the freezer now. The kids will notice he's missing by tonight...sad day.

Lance
07-09-2012, 02:29 AM
:cry: I don't know the life span of rabbitfish, but it looks to me like it was just his time.

marie
07-09-2012, 02:45 AM
:cry: I don't know the life span of rabbitfish, but it looks to me like it was just his time.

The other possibilty is intestinal worms given your description of losing weight over time despite eating well