PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning star-fire or low iron glass

NanoCat
07-08-2012, 04:42 PM
I was wondering what everyone uses to clean the outside of their star-fire and low iron glass panels. I have read that this glass will scratch fairly quickly if not handled properly.

I used to use newspaper and water/vinager solution on my biocube (not star-fire) but was under the impression that this would not be advisable for low iron glass.

I have some micro fiber cloths but they get clogged up with fine cat hair so quickly (I have two). Is there a disposable cloth that would be safe.

I assume paper towel may be to rough, not sure.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

sphelps
07-08-2012, 04:48 PM
I don't do anything different, I usually just buff it with a towel or my shirt. Use Windex or glass cleaner with paper towels as well. I've had this tank for a few years now, no scratches. It's has less iron so slightly softer than regular glass but I don't think the difference is dramatic, what will scratch starphire will probably;ly scratch regular.

Coralgurl
07-08-2012, 05:09 PM
I was told no windex on the tanks as it can affect the silicone, is this not true?

sphelps
07-08-2012, 05:23 PM
I was told no windex on the tanks as it can affect the silicone, is this not true?

Would be news to me, I don't see how Windex would affect silicone as it's just ammonia plus it would be problematic for windows as they are sealed with silicone. You wouldn't want to use it inside the tank for obvious reasons.

Coralgurl
07-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Makes sense. I usually just use a soft cloth and water which works fine, but I don't have a star fire tank either :lol:

Doug
07-08-2012, 06:09 PM
I just used paper towel and some type of glass cleaner on mine.

Of course that was after we wiped the inside setting it up, with a cloth, and made nice large scratches. THEN, we were told , oh ya it scratches easier than regular glass. Thanks a lot. :lol:

In the time I owned it before moving, as mentioned , I cleaned outside like any tank and inside with my mag float. Making sure both were clean and contained no debris before cleaning. Never made another scratch

reefwars
07-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Would be news to me, I don't see how Windex would affect silicone as it's just ammonia plus it would be problematic for windows as they are sealed with silicone. You wouldn't want to use it inside the tank for obvious reasons.

+1 i dont think windex is gonna affect cured silicone:)

The Grizz
07-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Windex all the way for the win. If you don't have a canopy spray the paper towel so you don't get any mist of Windex in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NanoCat
07-08-2012, 06:59 PM
So Windex and paper towel are not going to leave scratches on low iron/ star-fire glass. Can it be any paper towel.

I would use microfiber but it is a pain to keep them clean and would rather dispose of the clean cloth every use so paper towel would be best.

sphelps
07-08-2012, 07:32 PM
paper towel won't scratch it, any kind.

reefgirl189
07-08-2012, 08:16 PM
I just use windex and a clean towel. No issues so far.

SteveConn
07-08-2012, 09:34 PM
I wipe the excess salt with a clean damp or wet cloth then follow with another cloth that has a little bit of 99% rubbing alcohol

wickedfrags
07-09-2012, 12:48 AM
i use a wet paper towel and a squeegee

i have owned 3 starphire tanks since 2005 and find it to be no different than normal glass.