PDA

View Full Version : Sun Coral

Chad
03-30-2004, 11:58 PM
Hi,

I bought a sun coral just a few days ago, I fed it this morning but it doesn't seem to take in the food quickly. Is this a normal thing for these guys? I thought it would just suck the food up as quick as my brain or candy cane coral does. Also, I was using blood worms, is this a good food for these guys or is there a particular diet the go for usualy?

TIA..

martym
03-31-2004, 12:03 AM
Is it open when you feed it? Try mysis shrimp, mine loves it. Close pretty much right away and is open again begging for more withing 1-2 mins.

Jason McK
03-31-2004, 12:59 AM
I had to train mine to open when it was feeding time. using a turkey Baster I sprayed Brine or Cyclop-eez the same time every day. After about three days it would open at that time. I continued that and now it eats every other day

J

Chad
03-31-2004, 01:51 AM
They are opened, that isn't a problem. Its that they don't seem to suck it into their mouths very fast. So the other inhabitants kinda steal it from them. Just wondering if they are normaly a slow eater.

Jason McK
03-31-2004, 02:00 AM
Not mine. Each Polyp will grab food very quickly

J

Arbee03
03-31-2004, 02:24 AM
I find mine to be very slow eaters as well. What I normally do is I isolate the sun coral by placing it in a clear container and hang it in the inside of the tank (just below the water surface). Then I can feed it without having to worry about food being picked from them. I usually feed them twice a week (Wed,Sat) and they seem to be happy. Another method my friend uses is he runs a length of clear tube (from the surface to the coral) and just squirt the food inside the tube. HTH :smile:

Chad
03-31-2004, 02:27 AM
Perhaps it just needs more time to acclimate? Maybe blood worms are not its thing? I will buy some mysis I guess and see what happens..

BTW, this is the green tentical one, not the typical yellow and orange ones. Not sure if that makes a difference. Here is a pic..

http://members.shaw.ca/cmcd/SunCoral-Brown-Green.jpg