PDA

View Full Version : Ick question

Bob I
03-30-2004, 03:58 PM
I apologise in advance for this question, but since I have not had ick in my tanks for years I should be forgiven for not knowing much about the subject. As I mentioned in another post I bought a Yellow Eye Tang on March 7th. To make a long story short it came down with ick two weeks later. Two other fish also became infected, a Royal Grama, and a Bicolor Blenny. The Mandarin, Tomato Clown, and the six line wrasse are clear.
I don't need any opinions on what I did wrong as I am fully aware of that. :redface: I do have this question, however, The aforementioned fish have spots in the evening with the Royal Grama seeming to be bothered the most. He scratches and hides. The tang does not seem to be bothered much. It appears he is used to this.
By morning the affected fish are free of spots. Sunlight shines on the tank, and I see no spots. This gives them a chance to have a nice meal before the spots reappear in the early evening.
Do those of you who have a lot of experience with this have similar experiences :question: , and most importantly should I leave it alone, or tear the tank apart to catch the Tang :question:

03-30-2004, 04:18 PM
I left mine alone as I hate to tear down the tank to catch fishes. Usually the weakest fishes died but majority of them would survive with less and less ick each time. Evenutally they are all ick free now. I didn't feed them any special treatment like garlic, selcon or anything like that.
I read that they would develope immune system after a while and it appears so in my case.

Bob I
03-30-2004, 04:25 PM
I left mine alone as I hate to tear down the tank to catch fishes. Usually the weakest fishes died but majority of them would survive with less and less ick each time. Evenutally they are all ick free now. I didn't feed them any special treatment like garlic, selcon or anything like that.
I read that they would develope immune system after a while and it appears so in my case.

I was hoping to hear that. I will let it be for a bit. At least the fish are strong, and get to eat each day before the spots come back in the evening. :eek:

Delphinus
03-30-2004, 04:31 PM
I'd suggest feeding each day a 1/2 or 1/4 sheet of nori with a few drops of garlic oil (like from those garlic oil pills) squeezed onto it. I think this should help. It did when I encountered ick on a newly acquired tang.

monza
03-30-2004, 08:18 PM
Soaking your food with a crushed glove of garlic helps as well. Peel the garlic crush it (not to much to make a mess) with a big blade and let it soak before feeding.

Dave

Beverly
03-30-2004, 10:46 PM
boB,

Here is a thread with links to ich treatment sites as well as some garlic tips:

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7803