PDA

View Full Version : Hello! "NEWB" with some Q's

magikof7
07-07-2012, 02:36 AM
Hi all!

I have not been on this site for several years. I didn't get to actually take the plunge into SW but am determined now to get my feet wet. (at one point I had 7 FW running from 20-90 gal)

I am going to take a look at a "30 gal Biocube" at a garage sale tomorrow. They want 200 (open to offers) for the tank and stand.
I have been bouncing back and forth between choosing a size. We are potentially Moving in oct-nov. Im just not willing to wait any longer. Hubby and I have been Moving every year for the last 3 and havent done it. lol
So...I want to get something that isn't going to be a nightmare to move if we do decide we are going. :) ( I was thinking a 40 gal breeder or 75 gal with a large sump/fuge but the thought of moving that just makes me cringe)

I know the basics to look for and what to ask but if anyone has suggestions or opinions I would love to hear them.
I have done so much research I am now at the point where I am running in circles and beginning to second guess everything so now is the time to just leap. :)

Looking forward to Hearing from all of you and being a part of the forum again. :)

Proteus
07-07-2012, 02:50 AM
Welcome to Canreef.
I am still new and always learning. But there are great people here with lots of knowledge

lockrookie
07-07-2012, 03:11 AM
from your join date and 7 posts thats borderline reef stalker lol. welcome to the plunge. this is the way i look at your situation.. you have waited this long do you really want to barely get a tank running and matured to stir things up to move it or wait a little longer save up more cash and set up what you really want in the perfect placement of your new home. this hobby is pricey and sometimes hard to re-sell now 200 bucks isnt bad. but what if yu spent that 200 on equiptment for the size tank you really want or live rock to cook and be ready when your in the new house.

just being devils advocate here i hate seeing ppl rush (not that 8 years of stalking is rushing) just like to see ppl happy the first time

Proteus
07-07-2012, 03:41 AM
I agree. But I wish that I would have started small with something simple to learn from. My tanks were large and my learning curves were pricy.

I think go ahead get a 30g and see if it's your thing. Not that I doubt your ability just if you decide meh on the hobby. You won't have as much money out of pocket. Or if you do end up moving its a little more simple. But then again I've got a half dozen millers in me

magikof7
07-07-2012, 04:35 AM
lol lockrookie, If I had been reading the forums for the last 8 yrs then I would have to admit to being a stalker. :D I've only been back reading for a couple of months.
I appreciate your Opinion. Thank you.
I have thought a lot about waiting. It is actually what has kept me out of the Hobby for the last 8 years. Between the kids and always "THIS year we are Moving for sure" Because Im usually a Go Big or go Home type of person.
It is why I had decided since the opportunity had come up for a biocube. I would just go for it. I couldn't decide if I should go with the 57 gal, 40 breeder, 75 or 90. (although the 90 is a bit taller than I'd Like. I am Short and it was always an issue when I had a 90 FW)

Once in a bigger place (if that ever happens lol) then I will be looking at a custom starphire tank and sump. but that is something that will be in the future not anytime soon. I would also keep the biocube running anyway. (Might make a nice species tank in the future)
If this biocube is worth buying then I plan to stock minimally until I know weather we really are moving or not.

Titus99 - That was my way of thinking, and I don't drink ;-p. I'm happy to do Mods too so it would keep me busy for sometime.

lockrookie
07-07-2012, 04:47 AM
then i hope it is in decent condition for you once you go salt there is no turning back...

reefgirl189
07-07-2012, 05:02 AM
Welcome to canreef! I think you'll be very happy with a 30 gal for size. Also have a look in the classified section here as sometimes people sell complete set ups at very reasonable prices. Good luck!

magikof7
07-07-2012, 05:15 AM
Thank you lockrookie.

Thank you reefgirl! I should have snatched up the 29 biocube that was for sale here in the classifieds if the one I look at tomorrow is no good I will just wait and keep looking. I could buy a brand new one with a bunch of extras the store added including 10 % off liverock but I wasn't sure about the price.

anyone have an opinion about this set up? for 489.99 its an aquaeuro biocube

28 Gallon tank
System and filter
Protein skimmer
20lb live sand
koralia power head
Salt 50 gallon mix
Hydrometer
100W Stealth heater
Stick on thermometer
Test kits
Step 1, 2, 3, tank buster and reef fx water conditioners
LED moon lights
2x36 Watt lighting
Plus 10% off coupon for live rock

msjboy
07-07-2012, 05:41 AM
Also look at red sea max 130... I think they look nicer than a biocube. If you are lucky, ones can be had for $200 or less..complete with stand and maybe other knick knacks.

Check out reefsantuary.com which has a dedicated forum on red sea maxes.

Msjboy

magikof7
07-07-2012, 05:46 AM
Thank you I will do that.

I really like the 38 gal Nuvo But I have only seen it for sale in 1 store here.
Too many choices! lol

Coralgurl
07-07-2012, 05:55 AM
Thank you I will do that.

I really like the 38 gal Nuvo But I have only seen it for sale in 1 store here.
Too many choices! lol

Welcome to the addiction! Too many choices is an understatement :lol: keep asking questions, lots of great people here!

I say start with the smaller tank and by the time you move, you'll be ready to go bigger if you want.

magikof7
07-07-2012, 05:26 PM
ok I bought the tank for 150. It is about a year old and wow it needs cleaning.
Very nice couple. I told them about canreef and RC hopefully they join the forum. They are relying on 1 store for all their info.
They had a beautiful little clown ( a yellow banded she called it) he was hosting a very bleached anemone. Several tangs, a couple of wrasses, blennies and, very full of live rock not sure of the size of tank but it wasn't big enough.

So What do I do now!? (lol) going to go get a couple of bottles of vinegar I think.

Might get hubby to build me a stand the one they gave me is just a table from Rona.
They also gave me a jager 100 watt heater and I think a koralia powerhead but Im not sure of the size. I'll get pics up maybe someone can tell me and if I need another to go with it.

Proteus
07-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Get cleaning lol

Best to get rest of equipment. Which is depending on what you want to do. But lights skimmer and are you planning canister filter or sump?

magikof7
07-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Titus it is an Oceanic Biocube, I have a cannister filter laying around from my FW tank I could add that for mechanical filtration. I have not gotten that far just yet, I didn't think it was possible to add too much to it.I read a lot of mixed opinions on cannisters with a reef.
I had been looking at Mods on RC but most just add the media basket a skimmer and ATO.
It 2 coralife 36 watt pc bulbs. 1 50/50 and 1 10k with 3 led moonlights.

Id like to have a mixed reef with a couple of blennies and Gobies (eventually)

reefwars
07-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Wow that's way too many fish for a Bio cube, sell them and get some money back or did they keep the fish?? If you would like to view a ref and ask questions in person pm me and we can set something up:)

Coralgurl
07-07-2012, 05:57 PM
I run a canister filter on my 55gl tank, as long as you clean it regularly, you'll have no issues. I clean mine every 2 weeks and change media every month, sponges every 3 months.

Proteus
07-07-2012, 06:16 PM
I run a canister filter on my 55gl tank, as long as you clean it regularly, you'll have no issues. I clean mine every 2 weeks and change media every month, sponges every 3 months.

No nitrate issues?

magikof7
07-07-2012, 06:18 PM
I should have been clearer they were not in the biocube today. it is what they did have but upgraded their tank when the tangs got too big. It is why they were selling the biocube. The tank they did upgrade to is still not big enough IMO and much to much liverock, I would have taken everything to my local FS if they came with it.

coralgurl, What brand and size is your cannister? I have a fluva,l I think 405.

Here are pics. and 1 extra so you can see how hard it is for me to get pics in this house. :D

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a331/magikof7/006-1.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a331/magikof7/005-1.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a331/magikof7/003.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a331/magikof7/002.jpg

aaannnd the HAM! lol
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a331/magikof7/001.jpg

Proteus
07-07-2012, 06:24 PM
WTF. If this tank is that dirty how bad was the running one

If you want I have a mp10 I'll sell you for the tank. It would be big enough

magikof7
07-07-2012, 06:24 PM
any suggestions on a RO/DI unit?

I liked the look of the 75 gpd 5 stage plus system from BRS. Is this a good buy or should I be looking here in the city for one?

Coralgurl
07-07-2012, 06:28 PM
No nitrate issues?

None. I did have problems last year but it was because I wasn't cleaning it properly and only every 4-6 weeks. Now I completely clean it every 2 weeks with the water changes, media every 4. Since changing it up, there's been no issues, corals have thrived and I find tons of pods in it as well.

It's a fluval 305, the 405 may be a bit much for the bio cube.

reefgirl189
07-07-2012, 06:55 PM
any suggestions on a RO/DI unit?

I liked the look of the 75 gpd 5 stage plus system from BRS. Is this a good buy or should I be looking here in the city for one?

I have the 100gpd BRS one and I LOVE it. I haven't' changed the filters yet though so I'm not sure if that's one of the drawback for the system.

magikof7
07-07-2012, 08:35 PM
they couldn't have had this one empty for long there are still pods in the 3rd chamber under the pump!
It is really gross under the false floors. I took out the 2 nd chamber false floor.

This is about the size of a med bouncy ball in the bottom if the second chamber it is soft, I have no idea what it is and I aint touchin it with bare hands! lol :D
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a331/magikof7/007.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a331/magikof7/008.jpg

Can I get this falso floor out of the first chamber?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a331/magikof7/009.jpg

magikof7
07-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Titus, I missed your Offer for the Mp10. I'll take it if you can ship it to me. Thank you. :)