PDA

View Full Version : wierd worm?

Tanman
03-30-2004, 06:17 AM
just wondering if anybody knows what my buddy may have......
he said he's just started to notice a worm like thing comming out of a rock (only at night) and it looks like it is feeding off of the other rocks. but once it see's light its quick to go back into the hole. keep in mind that this thing never leaves the hole, it just extends itself from the hole. approx. the tip of a pen in diameter, oh and also it's been from the same hole everytime too. is it something to be worried about? and how do we catch or kill the thing?

thanks in advance

Namscam
03-30-2004, 06:57 AM
a little more detail would help like what color it is.. It could be a bristle worm or even brittle star if the mistakes each tentacle for individual worms. if it is a worm indeed, then i think it could be a bristleworm.. there are many kinds of bristleworms. only 2 types are known to be harmful(i think) to corals.. the bristle worms will eat left over food. If it is a fire bristle worm dont take it out by hand because it can sting you and this can be irritating for a few days. just try to take out the rock or use a trap like a pop bottle to lure the worm out..

EmilyB
03-30-2004, 07:28 AM
It could be a peanut worm. As a rule. there is very little you have to worry about with hitchhikers, unless they are in crab form..

Tanman
03-31-2004, 02:28 AM
the wormy thing is brown in color, and its almost the size of angel hair pasta but darker brown. its weird because of how it retracts to its hole. it almost looks like the mouth or the head keeps rolling in. its kinda like rolling a sock from the opening. i seen it today and under the opening of the hole theres a pile of crap. i guess its excreting its waste or something?