PDA

View Full Version : Candy apple red palys stop growing?

Timbits
07-06-2012, 05:29 AM
When I first got my CAR palys they were growing so fast 2 polyps quickly became 7 within weeks now it's been over a month or more even and I have seen no new polyps??? Any ideas why? Nothings really changed... Im really puzzled as to why they stopped growing :cry:

daniella3d
07-06-2012, 11:42 PM
zoanthids and paly can have cycles and go through period of growth and even period of decline, so be ready for that too.

Some of the biggest paly that actualy eat, are a lot more stable and if you feed them they will keep growing without interruption.

Those that don't eat are a hit and miss and can do great for years and in one night could melt and be gone.

I have had zoanthids and paly for years and my most stable are the larger paly. Pink and gold are undestructible (no joke), rainbow paly are very very stable and same goes with the armageddon.

The most delicate are the smaller zoanthus sociatus (purple hornet etc..).

Try to cut off the pumps and target feed your candy apple and see if they eat. If they do, then feed them regulary and they will grow much faster. If they don't eat, it is only a matter of time to their decline.

Timbits
11-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Man, it's been 4 more months and still no new polyps :twised:

Timbits
11-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Really happy about the color though, just unbelievable :razz:

subman
11-10-2012, 12:54 PM
As Daniella3d said I would also recommend target feeding them at least to see if you can jump start some growth.....or just sit back and enjoy them the way they are.

waynemah
11-10-2012, 04:51 PM
I have some Rastas that started as two polyps, shrunk down to one within a week. I just left them alone and within a week and a half I now have 5 heads. I've also had a colony of purple deaths shrink down to a single head and bounce right back to 20+... I've learned to just leave them be, don't move them and assuming your water parameters are within range don't adjust that too much either.

toytech
11-10-2012, 05:58 PM
my candy apples did the same thing, from 2 to 7 in 2 weeks , once the new polyps grew to full size thats all i got . They seem to grow very fast when new so it could be a response to the fragging , a self presevation tactic .Im thinking of cutting 1 or 2 off the mother colony and seeing if it kick starts the growth again.

toytech
11-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Ok went and cut one off the mother colony that had 8 heads , moved it over and inch and glued it down . Hope this works .

Timbits
11-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Ok went and cut one off the mother colony that had 8 heads , moved it over and inch and glued it down . Hope this works .

Nice lets hope this works!!

toytech
11-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Im sure hoping so , ive got some sky blue zoas that are the slowest growers ever , went from one head 3 years ago to a whopping colony of 2 now . I was hoping to frag them to speed things up , then i could look forward to having 4 by 2015 .

Timbits
11-10-2012, 07:45 PM
Im sure hoping so , ive got some sky blue zoas that are the slowest growers ever , went from one head 3 years ago to a whopping colony of 2 now . I was hoping to frag them to speed things up , then i could look forward to having 4 by 2015 .

LOL