PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a fish trap I could borrow - Calgary

Coralgurl
07-06-2012, 02:11 AM
The red coris wrasse has to go. He's killing my corals, so far my orange hammer, numerous zoas, favias and is now working on my button. I've tried a net, ya not going to happen, I'd like to try to get him out without ripping the tank apart.

reefwars
07-06-2012, 02:14 AM
The red coris wrasse has to go. He's killing my corals, so far my orange hammer, numerous zoas, favias and is now working on my button. I've tried a net, ya not going to happen, I'd like to try to get him out without ripping the tank apart.

is draing the tank an option?? do you know where he sleeps??

Coralgurl
07-06-2012, 02:17 AM
I have no way to store the water or make enough to replace, guess I could buy more containers. No idea where he sleeps, I think behind the rocks in the back.

reefwars
07-06-2012, 02:24 AM
I have no way to store the water or make enough to replace, guess I could buy more containers. No idea where he sleeps, I think behind the rocks in the back.

i feel your pain im never getting fish again after trying to catch the last ones i had to remove lol :P if any of my fish started tossing frags theyd get my foot up their fish hole and a stern speaking too :P

have you tried to burt and ernie approach to catching fis????

" here fishy fishy fishy fishy.....here fishy fishy fishy fishy " worked for them:P

Coralgurl
07-06-2012, 02:32 AM
Haha, that works on most of the others, but this one knows he's a s@&thead....

sphelps
07-06-2012, 03:49 AM
Use a net, the bigger the better. Leave it in the tank at a corner at the bottom with the handle up. Set it up so it's almost flat against the glass and only kicked out slightly. Use your magnet cleaner as a support aid. When you feed put food in that area and get food inside the net a little. Eventually the wrasse will wonder in, when he does run up to the tank and tap the glass which will scar him back further into the net. Turn the net handle so to trap it against the glass, pull out net and fish :biggrin:

Worked for me every time, might take a day or two but I caught wrasses, tangs, and angles. The wrasse was the easiest. A fish trap won't any better.

frizzo1983
07-06-2012, 04:16 AM
PM sent

FishyFishy!
07-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Use a net, the bigger the better. Leave it in the tank at a corner at the bottom with the handle up. Set it up so it's almost flat against the glass and only kicked out slightly. Use your magnet cleaner as a support aid. When you feed put food in that area and get food inside the net a little. Eventually the wrasse will wonder in, when he does run up to the tank and tap the glass which will scar him back further into the net. Turn the net handle so to trap it against the glass, pull out net and fish :biggrin:

Worked for me every time, might take a day or two but I caught wrasses, tangs, and angles. The wrasse was the easiest. A fish trap won't any better.

+1

Thats a great way to catch fish. It has worked well for me as well.

PS... Sorry to hear about your corals....Let me know what you catch him!

Coralgurl
07-06-2012, 01:53 PM

I'm going to give this a try this weekend and see if it it works.

Mike, if I catch him, you still want him?

FishyFishy!
07-06-2012, 01:55 PM
I'm going to give this a try this weekend and see if it it works.

Mike, if I catch him, you still want him?

Heck yes!

Coralgurl
07-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Heck yes!

Awesome, will let you know when he's ready!

Coralgurl
07-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Well I've had the net in the tank since yesterday, and been directing the food into it. The fish have been going in behind it to pick the food from the back:twised:

But today the rcw went in to get get the food, as soon as I went near the tank, he booked it out. I'm going to pick up a bigger net today, but looks like this could work. I'm not going to attempt to catch yet, letting him continue to get comfortable with it.

I've also moved all corals he's been flipping into my other tank for now. Seems like once he's figured out he's moved them, he doesn't leave them alone regardless of what I do.

sphelps
07-07-2012, 08:18 PM
I find you got to really spook him once he's in there and his instinct will be to dart backwards really quick which will be further into the net. A slower approach will allow a more calm reaction and escape.

LeanneP
07-07-2012, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the fish catching tecnique! I was just trying to figure out how to get a sick fish out of my tank without tearing it apart. I am hoping it works!
Leanne P

Coralgurl
07-08-2012, 12:25 AM
Sphelps, thank you so much for this suggestion! I had to grab a bigger net, in the tank for less than an hour and out he came. He's in the sump now and looking pretty PO'd, luckily he has a home to go to......

Wool hooo, so happy!!

sphelps
07-08-2012, 07:06 AM
good news, glad it worked for you.