PDA

View Full Version : Reef Octopus oops

CherylMcKay
07-05-2012, 01:47 AM
So I had stars in my eyes and saw a skimmer that looked perfect for my tank and a price I could afford... The foot print didn't even register, real dumb a$$ :redface: move.

So now I have a Reef Octopus OCTX-300 that I am wondering if I can modify it so it is external to the sump. My sump is 12x24x16 1/2 so there is no way I could ever fit it in. I also can't easily get another sump as I am in the Yukon.

I am hoping someone may have an idea if it is possible to run this externally before I make a decision on whether I could use it or I have to sell it.

waynemah
07-05-2012, 02:51 AM
How big is your tank?

*Edit* I just saw you have a 165 in your build thread.

Looking at the specs of that thing it doesn't look like it can be easily converted to an external. If you were able to, I'm not sure the skimmer would work as designed.

Skimmerking
07-05-2012, 03:45 AM
Sheryl get a rubbermaid container and have the skimmer sit off to the side of the tank. The make the container have ever like a drain on the side say 9-10" or what ever the water level is for that skimmer. Then have your drain line go into that container. This will allow you to get the raw water for the skimmer. This will help if the power goes off and it won't drain the container into your sump. The skimmer water will then make its way to the sump to get pumped back to the displayed

CherylMcKay
07-05-2012, 03:51 AM
Sheryl get a rubbermaid container and have the skimmer sit off to the side of the tank. The make the container have ever like a drain on the side say 9-10" or what ever the water level is for that skimmer. Then have your drain line go into that container. This will allow you to get the raw water for the skimmer. This will help if the power goes off and it won't drain the container into your sump. The skimmer water will then make its way to the sump to get pumped back to the displayed

That is a good idea. I was so intent on the sump being "a" thing that I didn't even think of a seperate container. I have the room in my stand... I will have a look and see what I can find.

Thanks

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-05-2012, 06:00 AM
Yup, having a skimmer container gives you the best of all worlds since you can add volume to your overall system, use your new skimmer, and have the drainhole at exactly the best height for skimmer performance.

When sumps are built before the skimmer is chosen, sometimes the height of water level is wrong for optimum performance. Now you don't have to worry about the specifications of your original sump since you can place the hole anywhere you want and then plumb it in so it drains into your reg. sump. The one drawback will be trying to minimize the sound of water going down another pipe.