PDA

View Full Version : LED Light Question

pat18
07-04-2012, 01:57 AM
I was thinking of getting new lights for my tank, and I am not sure what I should go for. The dimensions are 24 x 24 x 18 high. I am debating between go DIY and getting something like a Reefkeeper to control it (and could also get the reefkeeper to work as an auto top off), or go for something like the AI Sol and get a separate ATO. I also recently started looking at the AI Vega and I am wondering what others think about it and whether I should just wait for it or not. Also I am currently running a 250w MH.

Thanks, Patrick

Nano
07-04-2012, 02:18 AM
If you want a factory unit go for the Sol or Vega, IMO. If you are handy and want to save some $ go for DIY, either route is good, and 1 vega or Sol would suffice for your tank, I have one sol over my 24x24x15 cube

pat18
07-04-2012, 02:24 AM
If I were to go DIY, what would be a good controller to turn the lights on and slowly ramp them up etc. Kinda like the Radion? Or would it be better to just go controller-less and get a factory light?

Nano
07-04-2012, 02:31 AM
Either way a controller is better imo. Apex or proflux I believe are fairly top notch. but for AI they have a controller specifically for them. If you went DIY you could do dimming knobs but that's manual

daplatapus
07-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Ledgroupbuy makes a dim4 board for controlling drivers and fan. I've bought one but haven't had a chance to set it up yet.

fishytime
07-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Another option for a pre-fab unit could be the new Maxpect Razor that should be out soon.....it's driving the newest Crees, it's programable (somewhat) and is priced extremely well

HaZRaTTy
07-04-2012, 04:59 PM
IMO -

You would easily get away with 1 Ai Sol - 399$ Which is a decent price to pay for LED Lighting.

How much are you going to pay for a DIY Kit and price your time building and fixing and tweaking your design to get it just right. You add dimming and knobs your adding more parts to incorporate and maybe go wrong.

For how small you will need I don't think the DIY will pay off in the long run. If you had a 5-8Foot Tank which would cost you 1000's of dollars to light by all means DIY away.

pat18
07-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Thanks for your opinions, I think I will just wait or pre-order the AI Vega, and look around for a good ATO

pat18
07-05-2012, 05:31 AM
Well, I pre-ordered the AI Vega, hope it is worth the money.