PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Chloride & Soda Ash

scherzo
07-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Hi all,

I've always used the BRS 2 part powder that you mix.

I bought a liquid version (brightwell) because I ran out of the BRS stuff before I could get more. I found that I had to up my Ca dosing to keep it as high as with the BRS stuff.

I was thinking (to save on gas and time) that I might try the Ocean Aquatics bulk Sodium Chloride and then just buy some Sodium BiCarbonate and bake it at 200f for 1 hour.

Has anyone done this? Thoughts?

-Jeff

reefermadness
07-03-2012, 07:03 PM
when you wrote sodium chloride....did you mean calcium chloride?

scherzo
07-03-2012, 07:07 PM
CALCIUM Chloride.. yup.. man.. summer has made my brain soft!

Thx

Cal_stir
07-03-2012, 08:04 PM
I use 100% arm & hammer baking soda baked @ 350 F for 1 hour, heat the rodi water in microwave to get completely disolved, allow to stand overnight and siphon clear liquid off, there is ussually a bit of undisolved residue.
I use Dowflake calcium chloride, can be purchased at pool supply store, and mix as per Randys two part, same goes for the residue, but once the clear liquid is siphoned off it stays clear.

50lb arm & hammer ussually @ $50 at bulk store.
30lb Dowflake @ $30 @ pool supply store.
I've been doing this for over 2 years with no problems.

scherzo
07-04-2012, 04:53 AM
Thanks!

I'll have to look around the lower mainland (Vancouver) and see where I can find this stuff around here!

Anyone source stuff from in Vancouver?

scherzo
07-04-2012, 06:01 AM
Just doing some google research and there seems t be some concern with Bromide content in the Dow flake. Hey apparently made the change back in 2007ish?

Anyway. I'll keep doing more research.

Megalodon
07-04-2012, 06:15 AM
Yeah I thought the days of Dowflake were over unless somebody still had some if the old stuff.

I use Randy's DIY two-part using baking soda and Kent Turbo Calcium.

reefan
07-04-2012, 07:31 AM
I used to use the Dow brands but eventually had some issues. I later read somewhere it is only guaranteed to be 37% pure calcium clhoride. I would go with BRS or Fauna Marin brands, much cleaner with no residue to speak of.

Cal_stir
07-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Just doing some google research and there seems t be some concern with Bromide content in the Dow flake. Hey apparently made the change back in 2007ish?

Anyway. I'll keep doing more research.

Randy doesn't see a problem with the bromine as long as regular WC are being done.

It is 87%

TimT
07-04-2012, 10:05 PM
The Calcium Chloride I use and also sell as Coral Grow Ca (http://www.oceanfreshaquarium.com/coral-grow-ca/)
is high purity anhydrous guaranteed over 95% Ca and I test every batch for Bromide content.

Cheers,
Tim