PDA

View Full Version : Dam red turf algae

Skimmerking
07-03-2012, 03:05 AM
I dont get it i just dont get it. New rock from the 240 gal and. Now t-5 lighting in the rsm tank and i cant rid of this red stuff.
I dont understand can dripping kalk cause the red turf all levels are normalAll my bulbs are new , ATI PLUS BULBS, dosing kalk, DI WATER,cal is 400, alk is 8.

reefwars
07-03-2012, 03:07 AM
I dont get it i just dont get it. New rock from the 240 gal and. Now t-5 lighting in the rsm tank and i cant rid of this red stuff.
I dont understand can dripping kalk cause the red turf all levels are normalAll my bulbs are new , ATI PLUS BULBS, dosing kalk, DI WATER,cal is 400, alk is 8.

hey mike can you get a pic??

i know when my gfo runs its course i get bad red turf algae as soon as i replace the media it dies within a week and dissappears. any chance you got some excess phosphates??

bkelly
07-03-2012, 03:24 AM
im fighten it too, have to pick it off the coral bases so it dont choke them out. been at it for 1/2 yr originated from 2 transfered over rocks and took off under some old bulbs, like to see your guys ideas on it.

Snappy
07-03-2012, 04:38 AM
A foxface should clean it up for you.

FishyFishy!
07-03-2012, 03:05 PM
I have it starting as well. Manual removal is next to impossible. I've been reading and some people have had moderate success with the fox face, and hit or miss success with the tuxedo urchins. Some have had the tuxedo wipe it out completely right down to bare rock, and others didn't even touch it.

I'm thinking of getting an urchin or two to try, and a fox face as well.

With this fish list... could I even have an urchin, or are there a few things here that might give it trouble? (EX. The triggger..)

Niger Trigger
King Angel
Emperor Angel
Solar Wrasse
Melanurus Wrasse
Pencil Wrasse
Seagrass Wrasse
Cleaner Wrasse
Snowflake Eel
Flame Angel
Flame Hawkfish
Red Serpant Starfish

And a few other normal fish that I know wouldn't harm an urchin.

Skimmerking
07-03-2012, 05:01 PM
A foxface should clean it up for you.
i have a rsm 250 so that wont work.

blaster
07-03-2012, 05:08 PM
You can always use red slime remover if nothing else is working

FishyFishy!
07-03-2012, 05:11 PM

Isn't red slime remover for cyano?

I just dosed with red slime remover last week and it had zero impact on red turf algae.

Skimmerking
07-03-2012, 05:44 PM

that wont work on Red turf

MarkoD
07-03-2012, 08:08 PM
I use to have red turf algae in my fuge, Mexican turbo snails always cleaned it off the glass

Bill
07-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Mexican turbo snails cleaned my tank in a week. Algae never came back. 1 snail / 10gal.

Coralgurl
07-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Mexican turbo snails cleaned my tank in a week. Algae never came back. 1 snail / 10gal.

+1 I had red and green turf algae, mexican turbos wiped it out, never returned. They are bulldozers for smaller frags not glued, but so worth it!