PDA

View Full Version : Help: dying corals

windcoast reefs
07-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Hey everyone,

Recently I have been noticing that my corals are having sone trouble and I've list a few of them. My water parameters are exactly the same as they used to be, and the only thing that has changed is the flow. But I keep getting brown jelly forming on corals.

Any suggestions?

Borderjumper
07-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Hey everyone,

Recently I have been noticing that my corals are having sone trouble and I've list a few of them. My water parameters are exactly the same as they used to be, and the only thing that has changed is the flow. But I keep getting brown jelly forming on corals.

Any suggestions?

Which corals and what is happening to them? Brown jelly isn't something I've ever had to deal with, but I've read it's pretty invasive. I would cut off any good heads and toss anything with any sign of brown jelly.. Please don't let the purple green favia be toast!

Everything is the same? Didn't you say last time you were over you changed your calcium?

whatcaneyedo
07-02-2012, 09:46 PM
I've encountered brown jelly infections in four different situations. If water quality is poor and a coral is physically damaged it can form. If a coral is being attacked by another's sweeper tentacles it can form. If a relatively large piece of food falls on a coral and is not consumed but instead sits and rots it can form. Finally, if brown jelly from an infected coral separates and lands on a healthy coral it can spread to it too.

dc4
07-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Brown jelly will spread over any connecting heads and kill entire colonies. Bite the bullet and cut off any surviving heads without any damage and toss the rest. If there is a good lfs in your area, take some water to get tested as some test kits give you bad readings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

windcoast reefs
07-02-2012, 11:25 PM
Which corals and what is happening to them? Brown jelly isn't something I've ever had to deal with, but I've read it's pretty invasive. I would cut off any good heads and toss anything with any sign of brown jelly.. Please don't let the purple green favia be toast!

Everything is the same? Didn't you say last time you were over you changed your calcium?

I did change the calcium, but it only started the day I put a tunze 6085 in the tank. I have a feeling it was to much flow and it tore the flesh off. It's out now and the corals stopped looking unhappy.

The purple favia is fine! I'll setup another tank before I let anything happen to that!

And I cut all the brown jelly off a last week, nothing has comeback yet! Fingers crossed.

fishytime
07-03-2012, 01:37 PM
dipping a coral is also a good preventative measure to take when a BJ infection sets in.....most dips will kill any remaining infection that fragging may leave behind.....if your into LPS, a good dip should be in your "fish cupboard"....

windcoast reefs
07-04-2012, 12:42 AM
dipping a coral is also a good preventative measure to take when a BJ infection sets in.....most dips will kill any remaining infection that fragging may leave behind.....if your into LPS, a good dip should be in your "fish cupboard"....

I dip everything I get in and frag, so it's really weird that it just kinda started. My best guess is that the changed flow really ****ed the acro's off. I just lost a amazing blue and yellow deep water acro today. It's really starting to **** me off, not sure if I should just dip everything or not.