PDA

View Full Version : I feel so smart now

FWC
07-02-2012, 06:52 AM
I've always wanted to get some encrusting montipora ,but I really don't like coral that will grow over my rock. (silly ,I know)

So I figured, make "plates" out of grout or whatever ,and then place the monti frag on the highest point of your "skeleton" ,and then let it grow over the skeleton you made.

Final result is you get the stellar colors of encrusting monti with the awesome shape of plating monti. :biggrin:

I feel so smart now ,lol :P

gregzz4
07-02-2012, 06:56 AM
Umm, pictures may help us understand you stellar improvement :smile:

FWC
07-02-2012, 07:25 AM
Here is my poorly done MS paint drawing :P

http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj404/Fishy-Boy/Plates.jpg

gregzz4
07-02-2012, 09:24 AM
My limited brain's vision can't see what you are trying to show us ...
Could you show us some stolen pictures from the internet ... ???
Y'know, something to give us an idea ...

fishytime
07-02-2012, 02:26 PM
the concept seems somewhat sound......I see a couple issues tho......first being the grout....grout is corrosive and has dyes and binding agents in it....Im not sure I would put it my tank....also I think with it being constantly submerged it would likely break down over time.....using a reef safe concrete (forget the name now) might be a better choice of material....the second issue is, its doubtful that the encrusting monti will grow downward or on the underside of the plates, so you would probably need multiple frags, one for each plate.....

mike31154
07-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Umm, pictures may help us understand you stellar improvement :smile:

Fancy frag plug really all it boils down to & the monti may not grow as desired down the structure. It will likely fan out from wherever it is placed on the frag 'tree'. Still, it will keep it off the rockwork which is the intent.

FWC
07-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Wait ,just making sure ,you can see my picture ,right ??

Also ya ,I wasn't sure what to use as a material to make the plates, so I said grout for a lack of better words.

Also if the monti won't grow down but instead grows out/up and off of the plates ,as long as it doesn't grow on my rock ,its all good :)

reef_rookie
07-02-2012, 07:47 PM
seems like a good idea. if you can stand the site of the plates, waiting for it to be encrusted. Seems like it would be easier fraging this way also!