PDA

View Full Version : Is this green hair algae?

habs247
07-01-2012, 11:40 PM
I'd like to nip the problem in the bud, if I can.

Doing some reading, looks like these are my options:
- reduce the photo period
- add a CUC or tang
- increase water changes (I did about 20% last week, planning same this week)
- manually vacuum it off

I think in most cases these are only ways to reduce the symptoms rather than fix the overall problem. I don't have a phosphate test kit yet, but I will be picking one up tomorrow (ammonia, nitrites, and nitrites all read 0). At any rate, I am using RO/DI water so I am confused with the source of the phosphate would be. I did start with mostly Marco rock, which I did not cook as I was under the assumption I did not have to.

Would appreciate your feedback, thanks in advance!
http://img.tapatalk.com/4b9eeb5a-e1ed-592d.jpg

aquatechy
07-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Thats definitely some interesting growth patterns for an algae. It looks green, but it could be macro instead of hair. Have you tried touching it? I find that hair algae tends to be more slimy, as opposed to macro which doesnt really feel that way.

I would siphon it off, or brush it off with a tooth brush (last resort, provided you have good flow and strong skimming).

Perhaps you could post a picture that isnt so blue, if possible? Kinda makes it hard to see the green

habs247
07-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Here's another picture

habs247
07-01-2012, 11:56 PM
For some reason the picture isn't showing up in my previous post. Trying again.

http://img.tapatalk.com/4b9eeb5a-e5bf-457d.jpg

toytech
07-02-2012, 12:07 AM
normal part of the cycle , im right at that spot too after transfering my tank.Manualy pick off the bits like that and think about slowly adding some snails , like turbos and astreas.

freezetyle
07-02-2012, 12:35 AM
did you use Dry rock? What are your phosphates at? Might me time to start using a phosphate remover if you aren't already. If your cycling a tank you could always leave the lights off to keep it at bay while you figure out if your rocks are leaching nutrients

habs247
07-02-2012, 03:08 AM
I did use dry rock which may be the source

Is there any remedy for this now that I'm up and running? How long would it take for the phosphates to leach out?

burgerchow
07-02-2012, 03:14 AM
Looks like your rock is still dead, so no problem to remove the rock for a minute and blast that spot of algae with a blowtorch. Do it now as its easier to remove that piece of rock now rather than later.

Borderjumper
07-02-2012, 04:17 AM
I would just use my clippers and cut that little piece of the rock out.:mrgreen:

freezetyle
07-02-2012, 04:48 AM
Find yourself some phosphate remover like gfo. if you have a sump i would probably get a reactor to fill with the phosphate removing media. You can also use it just sitting in a mesh bag.

Talk to your stores in your area, they can hook you up.I liked red coral when i lived there

gregzz4
07-02-2012, 05:07 AM
It's Turf Algae, and it will grow for a month or two, but should abate over time, once your tank matures

Keep it plucked and don't let it blow all over your tank
In the meantime ...
When I remove mine, I hold a cup of fresh water in one hand and pluck off the algae ( the whole growth ) with the other, dipping my fingers into the cup to rinse, and carry on with the next clump

It should eventually go away

habs247
07-02-2012, 05:13 AM
Good to know. I'll start removing tomorrow during my water change. So far I only see one clump, but I imagine more are to come.

I think I will try a mesh bag filled with GFO. Obviously it won't be as effective as a reactor, however I'm guessing it's better than nothing. I don't have the heart to plumb in reactors, nor do I have the room.

gregzz4
07-02-2012, 07:34 AM
Be prepared for some weeks or months of dealing with this algae, as with others

The key to our hobby is time ....

Go to either Google or Canreef and search SW algae ...

My turf algae started about 1 month ago, and it's still there, along with some other kinds, but, it's less than it was ...

The biggest thing for you to do right now, while your tank is maturing, is to not worry so much about what is happening, but to rather learn about what is happening and learn about what algae is OK and what is not

Read, read some more, and then read some more
There's lots of kinds of algae ... there's only a couple you have to worry about
Take a day or two and read about algae, then read about them again
You have to learn and learn and learn :razz:

Google search saltwater algae, reef algae
You'll find topics on these

Bryopsis algae
Caulerpa algae
Bubble algae

And many more

If you don't learn about what is going to grow in your tank, you are going to be back to asking again and again, when you should be ...
Knowing and learning and learning .... :smile:

The algaes that you and I are going through are normal, and there will be more

Learn about which ones are going to go away, and which ones you should remove ....

After your tank, and mine, starts to mature, there will be no more algae to fret over per se :smile:

Read lots and then you'll be happy with your tank :mrgreen:

habs247
07-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Thanks for your responses. Greg - I'm prepared to battle!

molotov
07-12-2012, 03:02 PM
I'm going through the same thing right now, except that my hair algea problem is of epic proportions compared to yours. I'm also using RO/DI water and have been running GFO in a reactor for the last week. I tested for phospates and the test came back as 0 as I expected because the algea is absorbing all the phospates

What seems to be working for me is the addition of 10 Turbo Snails and 30 hermit crabs. The snails are devouring it. Hopefully the GFO will help as well. Also I got some Cheato so hopefully that will help absorb some of the phosphates that the hair algea needs.

I suspect the root of my problem is my dry rock leeching Phosphate. I also did not acid bath my rock which I found out later maybe I should have done. I would suspect your rocks are leeching phospate as well. I think with time it will go away. So get some turbo snails and that should help. I also read that sea hares devour the stuff as well.

Good luck with your battle.

burgerchow
07-12-2012, 03:40 PM
The only thing that really works on hair algae is a seahare.
Snails and crabs, even fish, won't even put a dent into a hair algae infestation, but a seahare just mows it down. Once the algae is gone though, you need to pass the seahare along to another reefer, as it needs a lot of algae to eat or it quickly dies.

subman
07-12-2012, 06:44 PM
It looks like bryopsis to me:
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?51490-bryopsis
keep a close eye on it much harder to get rid of than hair algae as nothing eats it.

gregzz4
07-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Have a look at the link subman posted
If your algae is feathery looking, then it's most likely bryopsis and you definitely want to remove it
If your's is soft and clumpy, it's turf
I have hermits that eat turf, but I'd need a huge army to keep it all down and I'm not interested in having that many :wink:

habs247
07-14-2012, 01:20 AM
Hmmm hard to tell. I don't think it's bryosis but I really don't know. Thanks for the links and advice guys.

gregzz4
07-14-2012, 01:22 AM
When you touch it, is it bristly, or soft ?

habs247
07-23-2012, 05:38 AM
So it's pretty much disappeared after adding GFO last week. Some hair algae sticking around, but not much. Thanks everyone!