PDA

View Full Version : Korallin Calcium reactor help?

aquatechy
06-29-2012, 10:15 PM
I was wondering if someone could help me with my Korallin Calcium reactor...

I got it a few years ago, and it was actually working just fine. No problems with the pump or circulation - I have been feeding it with a designated feed pump, and i am allowing effluent to come out of both of the outlets. But lately, I have been having a troubling issue -

I set my bubbling rate, and come back a few hours later to find that it has gone out of control, and that gas has flooded the reactor and choked it out, while also dropping the pH of my tank (my poor fishes and corals :sad:). I have tried tinkering with the water input and effluent, as well as some other setting, but the same thing is always happening. I am wondering what could be causing this? Is this a problem to do with the CO2 Regulator/check valve, or some of the reactor hardware? I'm at a complete loss here, any help would be greatly appreciated. I dont have a pH controller hooked up to my reactor, should i have one?

sphelps
06-29-2012, 10:28 PM
I wouldn't run a Ca reactor without pH control but seems your problem is related to either your regulator, needle valve or maybe a check valve?. What pressure is the tank at compared to the regulated pressure? Is it constant? I would also consider trying a new needle valve and check valve if you're using one. To test the check valve you could run it without one and see if you get constant bubble flow. I does sound a little like a blockage somewhere in the CO2 line so be sure to check anything else that could cause restriction.

aquatechy
07-01-2012, 11:38 PM
I checked both the needle and check valve, seems like the check valve has seized up. Without it, the gas is flowing quite nicely, so I'm assuming the needle valve was fine.

So I'm working on getting a new check valve for the Korallin, most likely will have to go through marine depot, as non of the LFS's carry Korallin Calcium reactors anymore. Thoughts, or alternatives to Marine Depot?