PDA

View Full Version : Cant get Phosphates down

WindowMaker
06-29-2012, 08:10 PM
Hi all,
I have been combating algae issues for quite some time and seem to have hit a stand still.

I run RODI
I run GFO
I run filter socks
I run a euro reef skimmer

nitrates and nitrites are undetectable

I have constant battles with red algae, It is frustrating the crap out of me. I also have started getting buildup on the glass again (this had stopped for a while). My hanna checker reads at .05

any other things I can do to attempt to curb this? I am reaching my wits end...

thanks for your help.

sphelps
06-29-2012, 08:25 PM
What kind of red algae? It's not cyano is it?

WindowMaker
06-29-2012, 08:39 PM
red sheet on the bottom. I think that is cyano...

Douglas
06-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Do you have sand? and option is to remove it. Go bare bottom. I've never had an issue, with Phosphates, with a bare bottom tank. But that's just my opinion.

George
06-29-2012, 08:49 PM
How big is the tank? How many fish and what type? How much do you feed them? Is it possible to cut back the feeding?
GFO works. You might not use enough of it. Increase your GFO. measure the effluent from GFO, if PO4 is not 0, change your GFO.
Grow macro algae in ref or building a algea scrubber.
keep up with water change.
Your rocks may leak phosphate if they were in high PO4 water previously.
liquid or solid carbon dosing will help, but they need nitrate. You don't have any nitrate. Is your nitrate value correct?
Skim wet.
Some use Lanthanum Chloride with success. Google it because you have to be careful using that stuff.
Good luck.

sphelps
06-29-2012, 10:05 PM
red sheet on the bottom. I think that is cyano...

yeap that's cyano, it's actually more like bacteria than algae so cutting phosphates back will have little effect. The best way to deal with it is by removing as much by hand as possible and then using a red slime treatment such as chemiclean. (http://www.marinedepot.com/Boyd_Chemiclean_Red_Slime_Cyano_Bacteria_Remover_R ed_Slime_Cyanobacteria_Remover_Medications-Boyd_Enterprises_(Chemi_Pure)-BE1115-FIMERM-vi.html)

Madmak
06-30-2012, 02:52 AM
A 3 or 4 day lights out period helps a lot as well. Total darkness is key.

WindowMaker
07-03-2012, 02:37 AM
so should I wrap the tank in a blanket when the lights are out?

Snaz
07-03-2012, 02:43 AM

Double sheet newspaper works great. I have done this for up to seven days with the result of eradicating all green algae but unless the phosphates are removed the algae quickly grows back.

sphelps
07-03-2012, 02:44 AM

I would use the chemical approach, you won't rid a cyano problem with blankets.

WindowMaker
07-03-2012, 02:46 AM
so what should I do for chemicals?

sphelps
07-03-2012, 03:00 AM
so what should I do for chemicals?

Chemiclean

...The best way to deal with it is by removing as much by hand as possible and then using a red slime treatment such as chemiclean. (http://www.marinedepot.com/Boyd_Chemiclean_Red_Slime_Cyano_Bacteria_Remover_R ed_Slime_Cyanobacteria_Remover_Medications-Boyd_Enterprises_(Chemi_Pure)-BE1115-FIMERM-vi.html)

doch
07-03-2012, 03:52 AM
1. My frag tank has a bare bottom.... AND cyano.

2. 0.05 phosphates is not bad at all.

3. Chemi clean. Use it. Love it.

Bill
07-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Detritus accumulating on sand. Keep siphoning it out daily and replace with fresh salt water (RO/DI). Increase flow to keep particulates suspended so skimmer can remove.