PDA

View Full Version : Boyd Chemi Pure Elite

Timbits
06-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Does anyone use this? Couldn't find much reviews for this product. Seems like a great product at a good price. The elite now comes with Gfo too, removes copper and other organics, and lasts up to 6 months before replacing.

Seems like a great all in one package for everything...

My question is would this work or would it be better to run carbon and Gfo in a reactor?

Thanks!

tang daddy
06-28-2012, 10:11 PM
I would personally run normal efficieny gfo to be safe, the high efficiency strips water too fast killing sps....

Madmak
06-28-2012, 10:25 PM
I have always had good luck with ChemiPure but don't seem to use it now in my bigger tanks. In a nano without reactors and limited space I think it does a good job, both FW and SW.

Nano
06-28-2012, 10:50 PM
I use the small bag in my tank for about 3 months now, personally I dont test frequently enough to tell if its making a difference or not :P

msjboy
06-29-2012, 12:29 AM
everyone who has a Red Sea Max 130 ( as me) and the SteveT Mediabasket rack uses it along with a purigen pack. I think it works...can't complain. It is basically GFO and stuff but without the typical phosban type of reactor by Two Little Fishies.

Lots of user reviews on marinedepot.com.

regs
msjboy

Timbits
06-29-2012, 04:32 AM
Thanks for the reply guys

msjboy how often do you change the media? and are you running any kind of phosphate remover besides the chemi pure or just the chemi pure?

what is your phosphates at and how is the algae in your tank

Thanks in advance

lee9
06-29-2012, 04:42 AM
I also use it in my RSM250. I use two units of just the regular Chemi-pure though. It seems to work fine for me. That's all I used in my first tank too which was a 28 gallon AIO.

msjboy
06-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Timbits,
I change media every 4 - 6months as stated. My phosphates are low ( the second colour on indicator card) but not at zero. I do not use any other phosphate controller at the moment but might do so in the near future with a sump. I did have an algae problem bloom 5 months or so ago but now pockets of algae grow specifically on a couple of areas that I can easily get at ( on the korali, a hydor deflector, a magfloat, and a little $1 store basket containing some macro alage)... I think these are acting as an incidental algae scrubber. You also can consider making a real algae scrubber for your tank setup. Lots of info at reefsanctuary.com.

hope this helps.

msjboy