PDA

View Full Version : Midas blenny died last night.

bignose
06-25-2012, 03:37 AM
Well I lost the first fish I had an attachment to my Midas Blenny poor little bugger I really like it. RIP Midas.

I found it dead in the corner of my tank and was wondering what happened. I had it for over 3 years and it was very healthy and ate alot but it started to slim out over the last couple of months. I'm not sure if it was sick or old?

Flash
06-25-2012, 03:41 AM
could have been both. sorry to hear about midas... they are my fav blenny by far.

reefwars
06-25-2012, 04:40 AM
Well I lost the first fish I had an attachment to my Midas Blenny poor little bugger I really like it. RIP Midas.

I found it dead in the corner of my tank and was wondering what happened. I had it for over 3 years and it was very healthy and ate alot but it started to slim out over the last couple of months. I'm not sure if it was sick or old?

my sandsifting goby just did the same thing buddy got really skinny and died a week ago hes been like it for months he was 6yrs old in this tank.

reefwars
06-25-2012, 04:41 AM
i figured it was a parasite or a worm because he was eating evceryday and sifting like no tomorrow, either that or their diets are just different as they mature who knows. i did dip mine for parasites/worms twice but still nothing, sad.

Cal_stir
06-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Condolences.
I've lost a half dozen, 2 jumpers, 3 old age, 1 to ich.
I hate when that happens.

reefgirl189
06-25-2012, 09:18 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I have a midas blenny and he is by far one of my favorites. He's actually one of the only ones I've bothered to name. I can't really speculate on what caused yours to pass but it was probably old age.

ScubaSteve
06-25-2012, 09:33 PM
My Midas just up and kicked the bucket on me one day too (about this time last year). He was an awesome fish. He was like a puppy. He'd see me sneak into the room and would hide in his hole waiting for me to get closer (not very well mind you, as he would would get so excited he'd be wiggling like crazy in his hole to the point he'd be falling out). I'd sneak up to the tank along the floor and then jump out in front of the tank. He'd come FLYING out of his hole and go frickin' bananas because he was so excited to see me. We played this game every day for a couple of years.

Then one morning I sneaked up to the tank, jumped up... no blenny. Checked all around the tank for him. Nothin'. No jump. Didn't see him all day until at dinner time I could see him in a strange area of the tank bobbing his head up and down. Went over to check on him and it was just a skeleton picked clean... bummer. No idea what happened to him but I've missed that fish immensely.

After I lost mine I did some reading and discovered that it seems fairly common for Midas blennies to just up and die for no apparent reason.

Suck for your loss. I feel for ya.

bignose
06-26-2012, 01:51 AM
Funny fish I'll have to get another someday. Seems like this happens to other Blennys as well. This fish jumped out of my fish tank twice and luckily for him/her I saved it both times.

Casey8
06-26-2012, 02:51 AM
My Midas just up and kicked the bucket on me one day too (about this time last year). He was an awesome fish. He was like a puppy. He'd see me sneak into the room and would hide in his hole waiting for me to get closer (not very well mind you, as he would would get so excited he'd be wiggling like crazy in his hole to the point he'd be falling out). I'd sneak up to the tank along the floor and then jump out in front of the tank. He'd come FLYING out of his hole and go frickin' bananas because he was so excited to see me. We played this game every day for a couple of years.

Then one morning I sneaked up to the tank, jumped up... no blenny. Checked all around the tank for him. Nothin'. No jump. Didn't see him all day until at dinner time I could see him in a strange area of the tank bobbing his head up and down. Went over to check on him and it was just a skeleton picked clean... bummer. No idea what happened to him but I've missed that fish immensely.

After I lost mine I did some reading and discovered that it seems fairly common for Midas blennies to just up and die for no apparent reason.

Suck for your loss. I feel for ya.

A very nice story about your fish ... what a nice character of fish I would never be able to guess the fish could do that. If I loose a fish like him/her I would feel sick for a long time. I just lost a purple firefish too and I think my emerald crab did it. I am very attached to all my fish, I feel for you and for bignose too.

Proteus
06-26-2012, 03:16 AM
I had a Midas blenny. but he wasn't orange for long. It soon turned black and swam with bi color blenny. Loved that fish

dc4
06-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Mine went missing for a while and while I was looking for something behind the tank, I found its shriveled remains. I have now double netted my canopy openings to help prevent this from happening to my other fish.

bignose
06-28-2012, 03:29 AM
My wife was not impressed she really liked that fish.

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo233/jasoncompton1/midasblenny2.jpg
Back off get your own pipe!!