PDA

View Full Version : The "must-haves" for every coral keeper?

mandyplo
06-25-2012, 01:51 AM
What are some of the crucial supplies that you guys think every coral keeper should always have on hand? From foods to treatments(dips) to propagation, if you've personally found it useful I'd love to hear about it. Experiences with products, benefits, how it has helped/saved you (or your coral) and anything else you'd like to share about it please do!

Brand/product names are preferred (as opposed to just a general chemical or nutrient)

Madmak
06-25-2012, 02:24 AM
A good coral glue (any cyanoacrylate gel like Krazy Glu) and some live rock rubble means you are always ready to frag something when you need to.

A very good little flashlight allows you to check on things when the lights are out or look in any live rock holes, that's where the bad worms and crabs always are.

Obviously a good test kit that you trust and, more importantly, know how to use and read. Water parameters are always where I start troubleshooting a problem.

Borderjumper
06-25-2012, 02:26 AM
Nitrile disposable gloves.. What can I say, I hate touching slimy things!

daplatapus
06-25-2012, 02:29 AM
Foreceps and long tweezers for catching or removing stubborn little things that you want out.

Kevotron
06-25-2012, 02:34 AM
Hmmmmmm
id say Salt :P

fishytime
06-25-2012, 04:16 AM
money....and patience:wink:

Megalodon
06-25-2012, 04:20 AM
Yeah, money, knowledge, and patience. As soon as people hear that they're usually turned away. It's usually the same people who shouldn't be getting into the hobby to begin with, so it's something they need to hear IMO.

reefwars
06-25-2012, 04:23 AM
im gonna say coral.......survey says...... ***CORAL***

a good knowlege of coral species and their needs....if you dont know what keeps it alive how do you know you can keep it;)

fishoholic
06-25-2012, 04:26 AM
Money and lots of it....also must have aqua tongs (or as I call them: snail/coral and rock grabbers)

http://www.goreef.com/images/P/Eheim_Plant_Tongs_24_inches.jpg

http://di1-4.shoppingshadow.com/images/pi/ce/e2/8d/95239520-260x260-0-0_Energy+Savers+Coralife+Energy+Savers+Aqua+Tongs+ 28.jpg

reefwars
06-25-2012, 04:34 AM
Brand/product names are preferred (as opposed to just a general chemical or nutrient)

gfo is one id never do corals without....if you want to keep coral phosphates are not your friend:)

dc4
06-25-2012, 04:48 AM
Emergency ro water for water change and salt for mix.

Carbon and reactor for any chemical absorbtion.

Backup heater in case primary fails.

About a hundred other things but it will always be the one thing you don't have that screws you in the end, lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

ScubaSteve
06-25-2012, 05:07 AM
To add to that list, a good pair or coral cutters and a turkey baster.

Azzkr
06-25-2012, 05:30 AM
The best thing i have found is a ATO as work out of town and have a wife that just likes to the bare minium to maintain while i am at work. next for me will be a contoller.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-25-2012, 07:32 AM
The best thing i have found is a ATO as work out of town and have a wife that just likes to the bare minium to maintain while i am at work. next for me will be a contoller.

Yup, love my ATO. Besides my in-sump skimmer, would never have a big tank without an ATO.

reefme
06-25-2012, 01:04 PM
money....and patience:wink:

Alot of money and times.

pinkreef
06-25-2012, 03:13 PM
TOOTHBRUSH :biggrin:

mandyplo
06-25-2012, 04:30 PM
gfo is one id never do corals without....if you want to keep coral phosphates are not your friend:)

Whats a gfo? :) And also what is an ro? :)

What are the food types/brands that everyone uses that work well for them?

And what do you guys do to keep your corals colorful and vibrant?

monocus
06-25-2012, 05:55 PM
r/o-reverse osmosis gfo-granular ferris oxide(phosphate remover) i feed my coral phytoplankton(tetraselmius,nanochloropus,isocrysis ),rotifers,brine shrimp(which i grow in reactors)fish poop(which my fish produce)and any food my fish don't catch in time(and they can't steal from the corals which i make from fresh and frozen seafood,norri etc)

Cal_stir
06-25-2012, 07:14 PM
CoralRX and a large white plastic bowl to dip corals in.

DiverDude
06-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Rum. Lots and lots of rum.

I've discovered that the patience I lack is made up for with boooze ! :mrgreen:

Coralgurl
06-25-2012, 10:13 PM
reef safe fish!

Earthgirl
06-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Supportive spouse
One that understands the time and money spent in it
Not to "harass" when hands are in tank, elbow up in water...

:wink:

Leah
06-25-2012, 10:50 PM
Supportive spouse

Yes a Reef Safe Spouse...very important. Good luck with that one. :biggrin:

mandyplo
06-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Supportive spouse

Hmm funny you say that... If I do recall my boyfriend was the one who said "Mandy I really want a salt water tank..." And here I am, with my arms elbow deep in the water, getting this project up and running & doing all the work! Lazy lil wiener he is. And the tank isn't even at my house its at his! NOT FAIR!

reefwars
06-25-2012, 11:29 PM
Hmm funny you say that... If I do recall my boyfriend was the one who said "Mandy I really want a salt water tank..." And here I am, with my arms elbow deep in the water, getting this project up and running & doing all the work! Lazy lil wiener he is. And the tank isn't even at my house its at his! NOT FAIR!

Oh I'd be changing that lol see my signature lol ;))

tang daddy
06-26-2012, 06:12 PM
Heres my list in no specific order.....

A reefer must haves:

Revive coral dip
Magnesium, calcium and Kalk
Super glue thick and putty
Coral snips and tongs
Liverock rubble
Large supply of mysis, brine, pellets, phyto plankton, zoo plankton, coral frenzy and brine eggs
Led flashlight
Extra tanks, heaters and powerheads
Steady hand and patients
2 jobs and a line of credit
Supportive spouse
Passion and patience
Books on coral, fishes and inverts

Leah
06-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Heres my list in no specific order.....

A reefer must haves:

Revive coral dip
Magnesium, calcium and Kalk
Super glue thick and putty
Coral snips and tongs
Liverock rubble
Large supply of mysis, brine, pellets, phyto plankton, zoo plankton, coral frenzy and brine eggs
Led flashlight
Extra tanks, heaters and powerheads
Steady hand and patients
Supportive spouse
Passion and patience
Books on coral, fishes and inverts

"2 jobs and a line of credit" :lol:
A spouse with 2 jobs as well and maybe a big fat inheritance :wink:

FishyFishy!
06-26-2012, 07:02 PM
wouldn't be able to do it without the CANREEF community

OH..... and a crap load of money.... and an understanding spouse..... and money.....and beer.....and money....did I say money?

Aquattro
06-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Supportive spouse
Passion and patience

The big ones, not in any specific order :)

Gizmoh
06-26-2012, 07:19 PM
Patience and a desire to learn

+1 tongs, turkey baster, toothbrush, good variety of food, test kits, reef safe spouse

mandyplo
06-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Supportive spouse

Haha I got a kick out of this. I ought to whip this spouse of mine into shape before I dismantle the tank and take it to my house!

I should get myself some tongs and cutters... though I'm only buying my first batch of coral this week, it will be a while until I'll be fragging my pieces, right?
Thats if I can keep them alive LOL.... Oh god. Thats the reason I started this thread.