PDA

View Full Version : Painting or sealing the inside of a wooden stand?

targaboy78
03-28-2004, 11:45 PM
Hi guys,

I am in the early stages of putting together my 175G Bowfront Reef tank. I will have a 33G sump inside my wooden stand and I am wondering if the bare plywood on the inside of the stand will experience rot or mold.

I am thinking about sealing the inside of the stand but I can't decide between a water-based Varathane or a Marine Varnish or a wood/deck sealant like Thompson's Water Seal.

Any thoughts or insights?
Tips or warnings?

TIA
Paul.

Gujustud
03-29-2004, 12:09 AM
http://www.ditchmond.com/gallery/albums/userpics/aquarium/diy/normal_standframe13.jpg

Thats what I used on the inside of my stand. Applications are for marine use as well, so I guess it should hold up pretty well.

LostMind
03-29-2004, 02:37 AM
Hey, were you the ones at king ed pets today?

targaboy78
03-29-2004, 03:51 AM
Hi Gujustud, thanks for the product endorsement. I take it that you are pleased with the product. How long ago did you paint your stand and how many coats did you apply?

Hi LostMind, Yes, my wife and I were at Kind Ed's this afternoon.

I've been bouncing this question off a bunch of people today.
When I asked Robert at Kind Ed's, I got input from several people that were within earshot.

Were you the guy that had puchased a tank/stand from King Ed's within the last year and had problems with humidity rotting his stand?
or
Were you the guy that recommended the oil-based varnish?
or
Were you just in the fishroom and overheard the conversation?

Paul[/b]

LostMind
03-29-2004, 06:24 AM
I was the guy wearing the grey baseball hat :)

I have some minor issues in my stand cuz of the salt spray from my sump. But the tank and stand have only been up for maybe 9 months so I am definitely concerned about it.

On my next stand, I will definitely be using some waterproof paint to seal the insides. Personally, I am going to give it at least a double coat. But then again, maybe I am just a bit paranoid of having my stand collapse and send tons of saltwater pouring thru my new house!

Gujustud
03-29-2004, 07:40 AM
I've done a total of 3 coats.