PDA

View Full Version : Tap water?

bluesox68
06-24-2012, 02:03 PM
I know its not good because because of the extra stuff in it but I'm spending $20 a month on rodi and now. I figure if I tested my tap water and don't have any phosphates could this be a short turn soultion until I can find a used rodi unit? Also my inlaws have a softener so if I tested their water would this be a even better option?

Thanks

Proteus
06-24-2012, 03:25 PM
What kind of tank setup do you have

Leah
06-24-2012, 04:57 PM
What kind of tank setup do you have

French...I am guessing

DanG
06-24-2012, 05:04 PM
If you get some Prime (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=sc-prm0250) to remove chlorine and chloramine, you should be fine. You will want to use something to remove phosphates (macro algae, chemipure, phosphate reactor, etc), but other than that, you're fine.

I've got a 70g reef tank that's perfectly healthy and I'm using tap water with prime.

bluesox68
06-24-2012, 05:06 PM
French lol, The system has been owned by me for only a few months. 40 tall with 20 sump/refuge. It was established for a few years by the previous owner but not well maintained, Flatworms Exit and bringing down high phosphate has caused me to do lots of water changes. I do have a few mushrooms, ric's and corals now with intension of getting many more. Any thoughts?

paddyob
06-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Always have, always will, only tap water.

For six years of salt tanks, never failed me.

Last I heard, the ocean was not using ro water.

I have seen ro tanks in horrible condition. As any other tank.

Save your money.

Proteus
06-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Yeah tap is fine. Like paddyob I used tap for the first year but switched over to RODI after run off caused TDS to spike

Magma
06-24-2012, 05:15 PM
I use tap with prime and I grow macro algae in the sump, works great no problems

I have a large bin that I put my tap water in with a power head and heater, then use a cap full of prime and let it sit for about a day before I go to use it for top ups etc.

reefwars
06-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Tap water....always have...10+ yes no problems as long as a phosphate media is used like gfo ;)

bluesox68
06-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Hey guys this is great news! Ok so if I get something like this
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/reactors/gfo-and-carbon-reactors/dual-brs-gfo-and-carbon-reactor-1.html

and used that prime stuff and with my macro in my refugeium I should be fine? Last question and don't laugh, If I use seachem prime and make bulk water would that be ok to use in our Keurig coffee maker? If that works this will be an easy sell for my wife lol

paddyob
06-24-2012, 06:33 PM
Yeah tap is fine. Like paddyob I used tap for the first year but switched over to RODI after run off caused TDS to spike

I never have used ro. Consistently tap water only. 6 years.

Proteus
06-24-2012, 06:53 PM
I never have used ro. Consistently tap water only. 6 years.

I know I was only agreeing that tap water is fine. I just made the switch due to yellow water with high TDS in spring

Megalodon
06-24-2012, 09:46 PM
Last I heard, the ocean was not using ro water.Kind of depends on what's in everyone's tap water, doesn't it? A number of years ago I nearly killed my tank with copper because of the pipes in my building. The low TDS here in Vancouver (8 ppm) scavenged it like crazy. I'm happy you get away with it but it's generally not good advice to give people without first knowing what's coming out of their tap.

reefwars
06-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Kind of depends on what's in everyone's tap water, doesn't it? A number of years ago I nearly killed my tank with copper because of the pipes in my building. The low TDS here in Vancouver (8 ppm) scavenged it like crazy. I'm happy you get away with it but it's generally not good advice to give people without first knowing what's coming out of their tap.

So?? A lot of people just had crashes from Kent carbon...does that mean that saying using carbon is bad advise??

Using tapwater isnt bad advice ..... if you've never ran a copper test then I would think your at your own fault....fact of the matter is anything you add could potnlentially be bad...there is no wrong advise if you don't personally know what's in something...how can you give advise besides saying be cautious??

Megalodon
06-24-2012, 10:46 PM
So?? A lot of people just had crashes from Kent carbon...does that mean that saying using carbon is bad advise??

Using tapwater isnt bad advice ..... if you've never ran a copper test then I would think your at your own fault....fact of the matter is anything you add could potnlentially be bad...there is no wrong advise if you don't personally know what's in something...how can you give advise besides saying be cautious??I think you missed my point.