PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using water softened tapwater in their reef?

Beverly
06-22-2012, 02:36 PM
We're moving in a couple of weeks to a brand new house and are installing a water softener. We've used Prime-treated tapwater in our 25g since setting it up and intend to use only Prime-treated softened water for it after moving.

We aren't planning to use RO or RO/Di on the tank except for top-up, but are unsure about using Prime-treated softened water. Will softened water be better than using normal tapwater?

Any comments on this issue will be greatly appreicated.

TIA :)

Proteus
06-22-2012, 03:57 PM
What's the point of RO if your topping up with tap water

Beverly
06-22-2012, 04:15 PM
I am topping off with RO.

Any comments about the water softener?

Ross
06-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Water softeners are typically only on hot water lines.
Use cold water and you'll be ok

Proteus
06-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Sorry I read it backwards

I talk to ken from blue world about this a while ago and he ensured me it was safe.

warriorcookie
06-22-2012, 04:35 PM
This may be safe, but what about nutrient issues with tap water? How do you know what's going into the system every time you do a water change?

My LFS sells RO/DI for 50cents/gal. Your water changes would cost $1.25...

If you have an RO system already for top off why not use it for water change as well?

Proteus
06-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Ecspesially now when you TDS is 200 ppm. For that size of tank its cheap to use ro.

It's not absolutely necessary but if the options there I'd choose ro

Beverly
06-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Have been in the hobby for years and know the benefits of RO. Absolutely don't want to get into the great debate about RO vs. tap. Sorry guys :)

Ross, we're hooking the water softener up to both hot and cold after doing serious research on the benefits to dishwashers, clothes washers, hot-water-on-demand hot water heaters and plumbing systems in general, so using only cold water will not help in my situation.

What about folks who live on acreages that use a water softener? Any comments from you?

Again, TIA :)

gobytron
06-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Doesn't a water softener simply exchange calcium and magnesium for sodium through ion exchange?

As long as you're not using a chemical softener like borax or something, you should be fine.

Gizmoh
06-22-2012, 05:30 PM
I used softened water for a while in my reef with no ill effects!

Seriak
06-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Well there is the following link that says no:

http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2006/12/how-do-fish-drink.html#softener

But from what I have read about people's experiences, they have found no problems with using water softeners, but most use them before a RO filter anyways. It will actually be a benefit to your RO membranes and you will have no problems with your top off. Not sure about your tap water for the initial setup.

Beverly
06-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Hi Seriak,

I was intending to use water softened water for setting up the 25g and for water changes, then use store-bought RO for top up (Canadian Tire sells 5g for about $2.00).

The link you provided states definitely to NOT use water softened water for SW. Okay. So that's the answer. Not what I was hoping for, but that's the answer nontheless. Thanks :)

So the question we have to answer now is whether or not to buy an RO unit or give up the 25g.

molotov
06-22-2012, 08:17 PM
I'm so confused why you would use treated water to fill your tank yet use RO/DI water for your top offs???? Why would you use RO/DI for top off when your original water is treated? I would say use only treated water for everything or RO water for everything of course with the emphasis on RO/DI for everything. Anyways.........

You'll also not want to plumb your water softener to the water lines that feed your outside taps. You wouldn't want to be watering your lawn or flower beds with water that you've treated with a water softener. Just my $0.02

tang daddy
06-22-2012, 09:17 PM
If you're using store bought Ro water then why not just use the same store bought water on initial set up and waterchanges, at that point you may aswell install an Rodi, the cost if top up water is mostlikely $5 a week or say half that your looking at $260 a year or $130 if half, kinda doesn't make sense why you would risk a reef tank crashing over a couple hundred dollars being saved.... IMO and not trying to be a jerk or come off like a donkey it just doesn't make sense....

In Vancouver were lucky we don't have to use softeners because our water is very soft to begin with, but I guess in Edmonton and las Vegas it's a must....

Beverly
06-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Still not getting into any aspect of the great RO vs. tapwater debate. Find another thread for that, guys :)

Yup, thought of that - the outdoor taps will not be plumbed into the water softener.

tang daddy
06-22-2012, 09:28 PM
It's not a debate of which water is better but the answer was posted a few threads back the water softener is probably not good to use on reef tanks, so what I was saying is why go half and half, either you use Ro or don't....

Nano
06-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Still not getting into any aspect of the great RO vs. tapwater debate. Find another thread for that, guys :)

Yup, thought of that - the outdoor taps will not be plumbed into the water softener.
I just got my RO yesterday, I think the unit is about $129~ I personally havent hooked up yet, but its on the honey do list for the weekend, I can't wait to see how things change from using a mix of tap and RO, to straight RO
personally, I would get the RO unit then you dont need to mix with tap water thus reversing the effects of RO.
hows the tank doing BTW Bev?

goldie
06-22-2012, 10:49 PM
I used to be on well water and had a water softener and my tank did well. I used the water softener salt you get from canadian tire.

nrosdal
06-23-2012, 11:42 PM
soft water will in no way hurt your tank (it just has lower hardness and calcium levels then untreated water. which is good for everything in your home except the tank).. just use it like you would normal water and add a bit more kalk to your top off and you will be good.

did you know that r/o water is better for your tank?? :mrgreen::biggrin:

Megalodon
06-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Test your tap water water for phosphates, nitrates, and copper.

paddyob
06-24-2012, 10:09 PM
I believe your drinking water supply is not soft water.

My folks have it, worst shower water ever, and if you drink it, it tastes horrible.

Their kitchen sink is hard water.

Madmak
06-25-2012, 03:41 AM
I used untreated well water with the cheapest salt 20 years ago and things lived and died.

Today I use a whole home Kinetico de-chlorinator and softener, a Vertex RO/DI, and high end salt and things still live and die.

IMO the most important thing is to know what you're working with.

bignose
06-25-2012, 03:59 AM
Compare the cost of the RO(DI?) to store bought. It's probably cheaper to run RO and you can keep the dirty water for whatever. I live in Edmonton and I've never compared the price and I don't keep my dirty RO/DI water lol. But it's worth thinking about.

Megalodon
06-25-2012, 04:12 AM
Compare the cost of the RO(DI?) to store bought. It's probably cheaper to run RO and you can keep the dirty water for whatever.It is, for sure! Don't buy the expensive hobby-brand either (sans DI), as you can get an RO unit for drinking water for relatively cheap, then just add on the DI cartridge.