PDA

View Full Version : Slower the better, in all circumstances??

mandyplo
06-22-2012, 04:40 AM
I know when it comes to marine systems everyone says the slower the better, patience is key, add things one at a time.

This is my first marine tank and I have done all of this. I must say, IT WORKS!!! I am 8 months in, and have slowly worked my way up to 40 lbs of live rock in a 55g tank (not done yet, the stuff is expensive!!) also have 2 blue chromis, a yellow watchman goby, 1 fire shrimp 1 cleaner shrimp, turbo snails and hermit crabs.
I have had absolutely NO problems with water parameters and algae. Recently just purchased 2 kessil A350's (love them by the way!) and the Octopus BH-1000 hang on back skimmer. Haven't added anyone new to the tank in about 4 months. (other than my first coral a month ago), A pipe organ who seems to be thriving and very happy !

I know for fish everyone says add one fish every few weeks... Don't add a whole bunch at once.

I have become obsessed with corals over the Internet (specifically zoanthids palys and leather corals) Ive done my research for over a month now and I'm ready to make some purchases.

my question is, is slower always better? Even when it comes to coral? I do not have the option of adding every few weeks because it's just not economical where I live. I don't have a marine LFS. my only option is to buy online but I want to do this right. Do you guys recommend taking it slow with coral or can I buy a few different zoanthids and palys from Fragalot in one order and add them to my tank at once? I'm new to coral so opinions and experiences are greatly valued and taken into consideration.

Thank you in advance! I'm both excited and hesitant, really want to do this right.

Shifty203
06-22-2012, 04:51 AM
I'm fairly new to corals, but as far as I know, you can add as many coral as you like at once. The only effect it can have on your tank, again as far as I know, is if you add a lot of sps/lps, your calcium may drop quickly, but just monitor and correct it.

I've done two orders to fragalot so far, 9 frags each time. Follow normal aclimatization process for fish, but make sure to dip your corals, as I have had a bunch of bugs fall off his frags. Remember to turn your lights down for the first couple days too.

Out of the 18 total I got from him, one sps , and one frag of Mohawk palys didn't make it. I don't know what got thr Mohawks, but the sps was definitely my fault for turning up the lights and mounting it high in the tank too quickly.

Nano
06-22-2012, 04:52 AM
Corals are different then fish in the sense that they add very little bioload to the tank. In tact I would say they help remove some nutrients (obviousky) :lol: I think if your tank is 8 months old I would say what's the hold up? Start adding coral:) just like you said do your research as I'm sure you know some corals are like weeds.

daplatapus
06-22-2012, 01:25 PM
I would agree to the above posts as well. I've added 3-4 corals in my tank at a time with no surprises. Keep an eye on your Ca, dkh and Mg levels especially if adding sps. And like shifty203 said, dip those corals for hitchhikers.

Flash
06-22-2012, 01:41 PM
i only play with LPS and other softies... I've had no issues adding 20 frags at a time! You just have to learn what can go next to what without stinging it or killing it!

mandyplo
06-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Yay I'm so relieved!! okay. Today after work I'm going to sit down and pick out my favorites and do some $ spendin'! I need to look up how to do the light acclimation properly I've never done it before. Anyone care to share their procedures?

I'm also going to pick up some lugols dip while im at this :)

Shall I post pics when they come in?! :surprise:

Flash
06-22-2012, 03:27 PM
unpack frags, drip frags, rinse frags.... put frags in tank... take pictures an hour later!!!! lol

Spyd
06-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Adding live rock on an on-going basis is not the best idea. Every time you add some, your tank may go through a small cycle as die-off occurs. Also, it may lead to algae issues. If you do decide to go with more rock, I would add dry rock instead to prevent any of these issues from occurring. Your live rock will seed the dry rock and worst thing that could happen is a small diatom bloom.

As for corals, definitely dive in. Leathers and zoas are easy keepers for the most part. If you decide to buy zoa frags, get ones with approx. 10 heads + on them. I find if you get 2-3 heads on a frag, it is harder to keep them alive.

I wouldn't worry about the lighting at all. Dip your corals in a coral dip solution to ensure no flat worms, etc. rinse in some display water and place them at the bottom of your tank to start as they don't require intense light at all.

Enjoy!! This part gets very exciting and very $$$.