PDA

View Full Version : would you move your tank?

reefgirl189
06-21-2012, 10:31 PM
For those of you with built-in style big tanks (150 or so gallons and up) that would be a PITA to move:

Would you bother moving the whole tank at all if you were to move again? Or would you sell your house with the built in tank as a feature and take it as an opportunity to get a brand new, upgraded or downgraded size perhaps, tank?

We all know how much fun it was to move that monster glass box into our houses to begin with... so would you prefer to start fresh? Why or why not?

lastlight
06-21-2012, 10:43 PM
I've done two tear-downs in order to sell. I never even attempted to list either house with the tank in place. Very few (normal) people would want the tank... and that might include most reefers too! I'm just thinking of how difficult it is to sell a complete setup...

Nano
06-21-2012, 10:48 PM
when we move I think we will have to leave our tank. Its just too big and too much work, I'd be lucky to get it out the door...

wait I forgot my tanks only 35g :lol:

ahh I must have been dreaming again

sphelps
06-21-2012, 10:50 PM
Yeap would never put a house on the market with a built in tank, nobody wants that. Even I would steer clear of homes with built in tanks, very few are done properly to avoid moisture issues. I could just image what the avergae home buyer would think at the site of a typical fish room :lol:

For me it would be sell or use storage and start over later, making sure no evidence of fish remained.

Coralgurl
06-21-2012, 11:36 PM
I'd move it and use the opportunity to improve the set up. I've never moved a tank and doesn't look like I need to anytime soon so can't speak to that, but just having the chance to change some things would be welcome. I also do not want any bigger and already have a smaller tank, so all good there!

StirCrazy
06-22-2012, 12:47 AM
yup, rip it out and take it with you. it is more of a disadvantage for selling that its worth, and will turn off a lot of people.

Steve

lastlight
06-22-2012, 12:51 AM
making sure no evidence of fish remained.

that's the key! Whether you dealt with humidity the right way or not prospective buyers wouldn't know that. I'll have to unreno my basement if I ever sell.

sphelps
06-22-2012, 12:57 AM
that's the key! Whether you dealt with humidity the right way or not prospective buyers wouldn't know that. I'll have to unreno my basement if I ever sell.

LOL, I made sure all my fish stuff can be removed without major reno. Tank sits on a built in cabinet that matches the other side of the room and the fish room will look just like a pantry/wine cellar. Even all the added electrical is external :mrgreen:

lastlight
06-22-2012, 01:46 AM
One day I'll be selling a basement with the world's largest bar-to-basement-sq-footage ratio ever. Slap a cheap counter on my stand and CYAS =)

daplatapus
06-22-2012, 01:19 PM
I'm in the process of helping a fellow reefer move their tank, and I think if I have to move mine I'll be selling all the live stock but keeping the hardware. It's too stressful trying to keep everything alive through the change over.
I would also agree to not listing with the tank in place. I think people would be over whelmed with the thought of a tank.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-22-2012, 04:09 PM
When we moved from our old place, I bought a couple of good used tanks, got permission to setup in the new place early and slowly transferred everything over before the move. Then on the day of the actual move, the fish, rocks, corals etc. were already "home" and I sold off all the original tanks after I tore them down. Only had to move "human" furniture and goods.

After setting up the 210g (which I have since sold), I refused to move it and risk all the livestock so we bought this place.

christyf5
06-22-2012, 05:39 PM
My fish room is in an unfinished part of the basement so no problems with that, the tank stand is just snugged up against the wall anyways and the wall is easy as its just painted panelling on the viewing side (rec room).

However, I wouldn't reuse the tank. I think I'd show the house with the tank in place, then get something set up in the new house if I could get a couple weeks leeway and start up a new tank. My current tank is scratched to hell so a new tank is in order (maybe something bigger too :wink:).

Jaws
06-22-2012, 09:48 PM
How do you sell a house that has an in-wall tank though, even I you're planning on taking it with you? Do you just rely on your realtor to tell people "don't worry, I'll clean this area up do its as if there was never a tank here to begin with?"

reefgirl189
06-22-2012, 11:58 PM
How do you sell a house that has an in-wall tank though, even I you're planning on taking it with you? Do you just rely on your realtor to tell people "don't worry, I'll clean this area up do its as if there was never a tank here to begin with?"

That's the thing about our/my set-up... I guess we could convert the basement sump room into a closet or something but upstairs we built a special spot for it... The only thing I could think of to do with that space would be to do a built-in TV shelf or display shelf perhaps? Also I have no idea where I could hide this tank for listing the house. The best I could do is move it to the unfinished basement for showings but there's no way I'd want to move it back up the stairs again after that.