PDA

View Full Version : Proper feeding of my fish in reef tank...am I over-feeding?

newreefer_59
06-21-2012, 04:18 PM
have a 150 gallon reef tank comprised of SPS, LPS and some softies along with 16 reef friendly fish. ALL looks healthy, but wondering if I am over feeding. Daily, I give a few pinches of marine pellets and a few pinches of Seaweed pellets as well as a piece of vegetation. I then break off a piece of brine shrimp about the size of a quarter and feed after it is thawed. Is this an adequate daily feeding or am I over-doing it? All food seems to go pretty quickly. Thought?

sphelps
06-21-2012, 04:26 PM
If you're happy with the SPS coloration you're getting then I would say no you're not over feeding. You could try switching the brine with mysis as that's more nutritious and would allow you to cut back on it a little without effecting the fish health.

dc4
06-21-2012, 07:30 PM
have a 150 gallon reef tank comprised of SPS, LPS and some softies along with 16 reef friendly fish. ALL looks healthy, but wondering if I am over feeding. Daily, I give a few pinches of marine pellets and a few pinches of Seaweed pellets as well as a piece of vegetation. I then break off a piece of brine shrimp about the size of a quarter and feed after it is thawed. Is this an adequate daily feeding or am I over-doing it? All food seems to go pretty quickly. Thought?

Lol, I have a 72g and I feed 2x pinches of pellets in the morning and a nice pinch of flakes. When I get home from work, I feed 1x cube of mysis, 1x cube of chopped clams, 1x cube blood worms, 3x caps of snow, 1/2 scoop of mixed powders, and a nice piece of seaweed. Id say your pretty safe with what you feed. :lol:

reefwars
06-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Lol, I have a 72g and I feed 2x pinches of pellets in the morning and a nice pinch of flakes. When I get home from work, I feed 1x cube of mysis, 1x cube of chopped clams, 1x cube blood worms, 3x caps of snow, 1/2 scoop of mixed powders, and a nice piece of seaweed. Id say your pretty safe with what you feed. :lol:

So its not just me Lol I have a 90g and I feed equivelent. About 4 cubes of frozen, pellets in the morning and night and about a cup of different powered foods and additives:) corals love it fish get leftovers

sphelps
06-21-2012, 08:27 PM
So its not just me Lol I have a 90g and I feed equivelent. About 4 cubes of frozen, pellets in the morning and night and about a cup of different powered foods and additives:) corals love it fish get leftovers

that's a lot considering you have no fish :lol:

I feed about 1/2 cube per feeding, usually feed every 2 days or so. I don't have many fish though. It keeps things easy, I clean the glass every 2 weeks and even then it's not very dirty.

ScubaSteve
06-21-2012, 09:55 PM
I overfeed like mad. I have anthias which need a damn near constant food supply broadcast fed into the tank. I feed a dime size of fish roe, a pinch of cyclopeeze and 1 to 2 pinches of NLS pellets - 2 to 4 times a day! I think I've gone through 1.5 lbs of fish roe in 3 or 4 months for 3 fish. Oh, and this is a 50 gallon...

I think you're good. Just watch the water quality and you're good.

wingedfish
06-22-2012, 01:07 AM
Wow, do I ever under feed! I feed once, every other day and alternate between a half cube mysis or a pinch of Nls pellets. 9 fish sps dominated 70 gallon, almost two years old. I used to feed everyday but put them on a diet when they got fat. That was around 6 months ago.

scherzo
06-22-2012, 01:45 AM
Wow, do I ever under feed! I feed once, every other day and alternate between a half cube mysis or a pinch of Nls pellets. 9 fish sps dominated 70 gallon, almost two years old. I used to feed everyday but put them on a diet when they got fat. That was around 6 months ago.

I tend to underfed as well. 90 gallon tank (75 gallon sump)I use an auto feeder to feed NLS once a day then mysis and seaweed maybe once every 2-3 days along with some marine snow and freeze dried cyclopeeze (about 3-4 days). Maybe time to ramp up the feeding! (slowly of course). I'm battling GHA right now... It is slowly going away so aim a bit sheepish to change the regiment.

dc4
06-22-2012, 01:55 AM
I overfeed like mad. I have anthias which need a damn near constant food supply broadcast fed into the tank. I feed a dime size of fish roe, a pinch of cyclopeeze and 1 to 2 pinches of NLS pellets - 2 to 4 times a day! I think I've gone through 1.5 lbs of fish roe in 3 or 4 months for 3 fish. Oh, and this is a 50 gallon...

I think you're good. Just watch the water quality and you're good.

Oh ya, forgot about the cyclopeeze too...: )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-22-2012, 01:55 AM
I used to feed 6-8 times a day since I work at home.

Now once a day usually. Some pellets and a squirt of mysis. 1/2 sheet of nori.

Done.

reefwars
06-22-2012, 01:56 AM
the amount you feed is totally based on alot of different factors so no real one answer ,i would look at your nutrient export and livestock needs.

if i fed what i feed now to say my 33g zoa tank i had 2 yrs ago i would be riddled with algae and high nitrates.

reefwars
06-22-2012, 02:01 AM
that's a lot considering you have no fish :lol:

i knew i was missing something ......fish......(slaps forehead lol)

the fish only get nls pellets directly, the corals are target fed mysis,cyclopeeze,brine,pp,baby brine and some kent and fauna marin products:)

haha my suncorals eat a full turkey baster in one sitting:P

tang daddy
06-22-2012, 09:31 AM
I usually feed mysis and brine once a day but keep feeding the tank till everyone is full, trying to gut load them before I take off on vacation, pellets 4 times a week.

after reading the thread I feel like I under feed, although I dont rinse the food just add it in with all the oils and nutrients and the algae grows in the scrubber like mad, :razz: I purposely do this also so my seahare has food to eat in the DT.