PDA

View Full Version : LF Deltec MC500 Skimmer - Calgary and surrounding

RipCurl
06-19-2012, 11:59 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have been struggling with my current stock skimmer for my RSM 250.

I am in the market for a Deltec MC500 Skimmer

Please PM me if you have one available.

++ On another note, aside from the unit being much more quiet, would anyone know if the Deltec generates less heat than the stock RSM skimmer?

Thanks for your time,

Tristan

lee9
06-21-2012, 03:33 AM
I am using a Deltec MC500 skimmer in my RSM 250. I didn't use the original stock skimmer though so I don't have a comparison on the heat generated.

In theory it should generate less heat as the pump in the MC500 is only a 20 watt pump (I think). If you have the original Hydor skimmer pump it is a 50 watt pump. Therefore the larger pump should generate more heat. I thought I read that is why the replacement pump for the stock RSM 250 skimmer is now a lower wattage Sicce pump. Same goes for the circulation pumps. Are you still using the stock Hydro circulation pumps?

You could probably test it by turning off your skimmer for a day or two to see if the water temperature decreases.

There was a person on here selling a MC500 skimmer 6 months or so ago. Not sure if he still has it. Search the old threads if you haven’t already. I'll post the thread for you if I can find it.

Please post your results if you do any testing. I'm curious too. I am going to have to do something to cool mine a bit more if the temperature ever warms up outside. My apartment gets fairly warm in the summer.

RipCurl
06-22-2012, 03:02 AM
Thanks for the insight. I turned off the skimmer and confirm the temperature dropped 3.5 degrees within 24 hours. Keep in mind the temperature outside today was slightly cooler than yesterday which I am sure is also a contributing factor... I would have to do some more testing. I am using the stock Hydor skimmer pump.

I will look into the thread that you mentioned was posted a few months ago. I did see on recently but I believe the gentleman lived in Vancouver. In which case maybe I should buy a new one from JL or something...

Did you have to make any mods to your tank lid for your Deltec?
Do you burn through as many rear cooling fans as I do?

lee9
06-22-2012, 03:09 AM
Good to know. Thanks.

This is the thread I was referring to. He is from Calgary. Not sure if he still has it for sale though.

deltec mc-500 skimmer (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79159)

You just have to cut a small piece of the plastic on the top of the left side of the skimmer chamber so it sit level. There is a video showing the mod on YouTube.

I've only had my RSM250 set up for 6 months and I haven't burnt out any of the rear cooling fans. I leave them on 24/7 too.

Thanks for the insight. I turned off the skimmer and confirm the temperature dropped 3.5 degrees within 24 hours. Keep in mind the temperature outside today was slightly cooler than yesterday which I am sure is also a contributing factor... I would have to do some more testing. I am using the stock Hydor skimmer pump.

I will look into the thread that you mentioned was posted a few months ago. I did see on recently but I believe the gentleman lived in Vancouver. In which case maybe I should buy a new one from JL or something...

Did you have to make any mods to your tank lid for your Deltec?
Do you burn through as many rear cooling fans as I do?

RipCurl
06-22-2012, 03:34 AM
Awesome, thanks Lee. I sent him a msg. I've only had mine running for 6 months and I am now on my third set. The fans tend to collect salt residue, it then gradually builds up and calcifies to the fan. The fan then brush up against the casing and one always burns out over time. They are close to impossible to clean and maintain I find.. Do you clean yours frequently or not at all?

lee9
06-22-2012, 03:41 AM
Mine don't seem to get salt buildup on them. They only get a bit of dust on them.

I cleaned them when I first go it. I haven't cleaned mine since... but I am going to now though. You can pull the individual fans out of the plastic case and clean them easier. Just watch when you pull them out so you put them back in the right way.

Awesome, thanks Lee. I sent him a msg. I've only had mine running for 6 months and I am now on my third set. The fans tend to collect salt residue, it then gradually builds up and calcifies to the fan. The fan then brush up against the casing and one always burns out over time. They are close to impossible to clean and maintain I find.. Do you clean yours frequently or not at all?

Skimmerking
06-22-2012, 04:00 AM
What you can do is have the fans blow in and not out. Where do u get the rear fans i need some and for the pumps that circulate the water take them out a d add maxi jets 1200's alot cooler too