PDA

View Full Version : KH is 8 in Filtered Water. Is this ok?

LeanneP
06-19-2012, 10:55 PM
I use an aquarium filter that I bought at J & L to filter my water and the KH is 8 after filtering it. Is this ok? When I mixed my last batch of water I had KH at 15 again. I did roll the bucket, but just wondering if that is contributing to my high KH.

Leanne P

Cal_stir
06-19-2012, 11:02 PM
If it's a RODI unit, I think your test kit is wrong.

LeanneP
06-19-2012, 11:10 PM
No, it is not a R/O unit. It is a cartridge filter.

Leanne

Cal_stir
06-19-2012, 11:28 PM
Still sounds too high, seems that you guys have pretty good water out west, I don't think your tap water would be that high KH even unfiltered.
Try a different test kit.

425nm
06-19-2012, 11:34 PM
Is this cartridge filter a carbon filter? If it doesn't have a deionization resin it probably won't affect hardness.
Is that water hardness reading the same as your unfiltered tap water?

LeanneP
06-20-2012, 12:07 AM
I have just checked my tap water and it is at 7 and the filtered water is at 8 so I guess the filter is affecting the hardness some. It doesn't say what kind of filter it is, just that it takes out minerals, heavy metals, contaminants, chlorine etc. It is for aquariums specifically so I would hope it wouldn't screw up the water. I just thought I read somewhere that R/O water had 0 for KH so I was wondering if that was making my KH higher since it was already at 8 when I added salt to it.
Leanne P

Is this cartridge filter a carbon filter? If it doesn't have a deionization resin it probably won't affect hardness.
Is that water hardness reading the same as your unfiltered tap water?

chandigz
06-20-2012, 05:23 AM
I believe your water filter has a particulate, carbon, di, in a single tube. If your water is 7 or 8 and your salt is formulated to mix at 7 or 8 with RO then the combined total would be 14-16.

Your filter is fine. Its just not the one you need out there. I'm lucky here on the island where it is very soft and pure. Our TDS ranges from 6 to 25, usually 8-12. your filter would be fine out here (I still use staight tap water, 7 years) but you would be better off with an RO or RO/di unit.

LeanneP
06-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I was wondering, if the two were adding together and that was why I was getting the high numbers for the KH. Wish I would have known that when I got the filter. Thanks for your help.
LeanneP
I believe your water filter has a particulate, carbon, di, in a single tube. If your water is 7 or 8 and your salt is formulated to mix at 7 or 8 with RO then the combined total would be 14-16.

Your filter is fine. Its just not the one you need out there. I'm lucky here on the island where it is very soft and pure. Our TDS ranges from 6 to 25, usually 8-12. your filter would be fine out here (I still use staight tap water, 7 years) but you would be better off with an RO or RO/di unit.