PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Too High

Enigma
06-19-2012, 03:10 PM
So, my calcium is too high again.

This makes me nuts. Calcium is up (520) Mag is down (1100). KH has dropped to 6 dKh.

I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals, and I added several LPS just over a week ago. Calcium has gone UP since I added the LPS, and mag and carbonate hardness have dropped.

I can not get this figured out.

Advice/suggestions please!

Aquattro
06-19-2012, 03:13 PM
My advice is to get it tested with another kit. Ca can't really go up, certainly not by that amount (assuming you're not dosing or supplementing).

Enigma
06-19-2012, 03:19 PM
There is no way that the LPS could be losing calcium and it is leaching into the water?

I use Aquavitro Fuel on occasion.

I use the API calcium test, the API carbonate hardness test, and the ELOS Magnesium test. I'll pick up a new calcium test. My calcium routinely tests high, but it was testing at more reasonable numbers for a couple of weeks.

Aquattro
06-19-2012, 03:24 PM
No, you'd have to completely dissolve a few large corals to bump Ca up noticeably. That salt should sit around what, 420? Going up 100ppm just isn't going to happen without some dosing. Not sure what that supplement is..

cale262
06-19-2012, 03:27 PM

I use the API calcium test, the API carbonate hardness test, and the ELOS Magnesium test. I'll pick up a new calcium test. My calcium routinely tests high, but it was testing at more reasonable numbers for a couple of weeks.

I don't know why but I never had any real luck with API test kits, maybe there's a reason that they're inexpensive. I'm currently using ELOS/Hanna with good results.

Enigma
06-19-2012, 04:09 PM
From what I've been able to learn from a websearch, the API test kit can produce very different results from other test kits.

Is it worth getting the Hanna monitor?

Cugio
06-19-2012, 04:14 PM
I use the IO Reef Crystals as well and was testing with the API kit. I was also showing 500+ results. I then bought a Salifert and the test result was the same. I have a nano and do weekly 30% water changes. This is a normal calcium level for me over the past year. But then again, I'm using regular tap water as well.

Enigma
06-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Hmm. I'm using ro/di and I test the ppm of each batch before use. It usually tests "0" and never more then "5."

TimT
06-19-2012, 04:21 PM
I would use a good quality test kit. I have had good success with Lamotte and Salifert.

Cheers,
Tim

monocus
06-19-2012, 04:50 PM
io reef salt has a high calcium to start with-over 500.it also has the highest mag.i almost never have to dose calcium with this salt

Enigma
06-19-2012, 05:10 PM
No, you'd have to completely dissolve a few large corals to bump Ca up noticeably. That salt should sit around what, 420? Going up 100ppm just isn't going to happen without some dosing. Not sure what that supplement is..

Sorry. Forgot to reply to the calcium value (and nope . . . didn't dissolve any large corals!).

io reef salt has a high calcium to start with-over 500.it also has the highest mag.i almost never have to dose calcium with this salt

I think it is supposed to be 460-480. I check the bucket last night, but I don't remember what the exact value was.

Aquattro
06-19-2012, 06:09 PM
If the salt comes in at over 500 out of the bucket, I'd use a different salt :) Ideally you want Ca around 400ppm. Anywhere from 380 to 440 is fine, but anything over 440 is pointless, and may be prone to precipitation. Really, IMO, anything over 420 isn't needed if you're running any type of dosing or reactor, or doing frequent water changes.

MKLKT
06-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Have you rolled the bucket a bit? If it's standing up the particles can get sifted slightly which will cause the concentration of elements to be a bit off when you're using the salt mix.

Enigma
06-19-2012, 06:42 PM
I stirred the bucket, but didn't roll it. Rolling the bucket is a much better idea, I think. I wasn't able to stir very far down into the salt.

I may switch salt.

Is precipitation the only concern? I was concerned that the elevated levels may cause harm.

FishyFishy!
06-19-2012, 06:47 PM
I stirred the bucket, but didn't roll it. Rolling the bucket is a much better idea, I think. I wasn't able to stir very far down into the salt.

I may switch salt.

Is precipitation the only concern? I was concerned that the elevated levels may cause harm.

Definitly roll your bucket! Stirring won't do a whole lot because you generally don't go any further than half way down.

Enigma
06-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Half way down is giving me too much credit . . . I maybe got 1/3 of the way down. :lol:

I'm about 1/2 way through the bucket. I'll roll it when I get home, though I may be through the bulk of the excess calcium layer by now.

Aquattro
06-19-2012, 07:06 PM

If levels get too high, and the stars align properly, you can get sudden mass precipitation (looks like a snow storm) and your Ca will drop to stupid low levels. Not a serious problem in itself, but if you're doing a big water change to correct it, and using the same salt, you might go in circles.

don.ald
06-19-2012, 07:11 PM
has anyone ever tested salt mix with a bucket that has been rolled vs. one that has not been rolled?
I have never rolled my buckets. and never have issues.
I use IO, but have tried others. not sure but I think IO recommends that you DON'T roll the bucket?? (also i use API test kits because i believe it is just as good as any of the hobby kits out there).
R.

Enigma
06-19-2012, 07:11 PM
I'm in the middle of prepping for a tank switch. The new water is a combination of IO and IO Reef Crystals: in an attempt to get the calcium down. I haven't tested the calcium in it yet, as I just started mixing it last night. I didn't want to mix salt . . . but I felt like I didn't have much of a choice.

I've had to really cut down on waterchanges: that's how I got my calcium down to normal levels. But this weird spike leaves me confused. I hope it is the test kit.

Coralgurl
06-19-2012, 09:41 PM
Thanks for starting this thread Shelley. I test dkh and Ca with Api as well and Elos for mag. All 3 are low in both my tanks, I think it may be the salt, but I've been using Seachem Salinity for almost a year and never had an issue before. I do roll my bucket, even flip it everytime I mix up new water. My question is, what happens if you don't use all the water mixed up? I keep a heater and powerhead in mine all the time, I use a Brute can to mix, but don't seem to use all the water at once. Would this have an effect on these elements?

Aquattro
06-19-2012, 11:04 PM
Thanks for starting this thread Shelley. I test dkh and Ca with Api as well and Elos for mag. All 3 are low in both my tanks, I think it may be the salt, but I've been using Seachem Salinity for almost a year and never had an issue before. I do roll my bucket, even flip it everytime I mix up new water. My question is, what happens if you don't use all the water mixed up? I keep a heater and powerhead in mine all the time, I use a Brute can to mix, but don't seem to use all the water at once. Would this have an effect on these elements?

I tend to always have 5g left or so, I just leave it in the bucket until next batch. I haven't had any issues.

Enigma
06-20-2012, 11:56 AM
My question is, what happens if you don't use all the water mixed up? I keep a heater and powerhead in mine all the time, I use a Brute can to mix, but don't seem to use all the water at once. Would this have an effect on these elements?

That is a really good question.

I get a lot of calcium precipitation in my water storage container. I'm not sure about the other two.

Coralgurl
06-20-2012, 01:55 PM
I tested my mixed water last night and my parameters were bang on, water was mixed 2 weeks ago. So for me, the salt is not an issue. I used the rest of what I had for a small change in my 55, mixing more water for a change on the 180 tonight.

daplatapus
06-20-2012, 03:39 PM
I hope this isn't viewed as highjacking this thread, but I have a question about the readings of the OP. If the Mg is low (which I think I remember the OP saying it was 1100) my limited understanding is that Ca and dkh may read high. Can low Mg readings cause the Ca and dkh readings to be higher than normal?

Enigma
06-20-2012, 03:52 PM
I hope this isn't viewed as highjacking this thread, but I have a question about the readings of the OP. If the Mg is low (which I think I remember the OP saying it was 1100) my limited understanding is that Ca and dkh may read high. Can low Mg readings cause the Ca and dkh readings to be higher than normal?

Not hijacking at all . . . very interesting! This could explain my crazy numbers.

I'll try a WC when I get home to see what happens.

Edit: Wait a minute. My KH is low. That wouldn't explain the KH reading, though it would explain the calcium.