PDA

View Full Version : What led lights to buy?

camaro7019
06-17-2012, 09:42 PM
hey guys, i have a 95 gallon bow front, the dimensions are 27" high, 18 width in the centre, and 13" on the outsides and 4 feet length, what kind of led's should i get? i want to grow sps, right now im running a coralife aqualight pro light bar with 2 150 watt metal halides

Aquattro
06-17-2012, 09:43 PM
How much money you want to spend?

camaro7019
06-17-2012, 09:49 PM
something affordable but something i dont have to buy new ones as i want to get into harder corals?

Aquattro
06-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Most LED will grow SPS, as long as you have enough of them. Kessils make nice spots, AI Sol and Radions are nice pendants, Vertex is known as top of the line.
Affordable is a subjective phrase. I just bought 6 x AI sol, cost me about 2700.00 after taxes and controller. Some people buy that many Radions, runs them about 5000+. Vertex 260 line are on sale lots of places this month, a 4' fixture will run around 3000ish. If you go pendants (AI or Radion) you'll need at least 3, probably 4 units. Kessils you'll have to look up, don't know what they go for.
Reef Brite has some fixtures that are more affordable for lots of people, sold by Reef Supplies, one of our sponsors.
If you're handy, you can DIY some lights, Modular LED has all the bits you'd need. You'll save some money, spend some time.

Sorry, not an easy question you've asked :)

burgerchow
06-17-2012, 09:59 PM
check out the new Kessil A350 . I'm waiting on a pair now. $399 each.
The only LED that is actually designed for reef aquariums.

camaro7019
06-17-2012, 10:00 PM
haha i see that, i would want something i can mount to the tank not hang as its in my living room and that would look horrid, im looking for something thats black, thats what brought me to the ai sol's i am very handy so i can do a diy kit, is it worth it? or would i get better perfomance out of ai sols? and do i really need 3? or would 2 work :)

Aquattro
06-17-2012, 10:01 PM
The only LED that is actually designed for reef aquariums.

Huh? Where did you get that bit of info?

Aquattro
06-17-2012, 10:04 PM
haha i see that, i would want something i can mount to the tank not hang as its in my living room and that would look horrid, im looking for something thats black, thats what brought me to the ai sol's i am very handy so i can do a diy kit, is it worth it? or would i get better perfomance out of ai sols? and do i really need 3? or would 2 work :)

The Sols are nice, I bought the black ones and I'm happy with them. If you want to mount them on tank, they have a rail kit you can buy, about 70 bucks for a 4'.
Yes, you'll need at least three. Probably 4 if you want to fill the tank with SPS one day.
I tried to get away with 3, that was a joke. I needed 6. I almost cheaped out and got 5, but that wouldn't have done it.
But, you can buy three now, add a fourth later if/when you need it.

camaro7019
06-17-2012, 10:05 PM
also, how are the ai sol tank mounting kit? is it nice? ugly? or dont know :)

camaro7019
06-17-2012, 10:06 PM
you got a 6 foot tank??

Aquattro
06-17-2012, 10:07 PM
you got a 6 foot tank??

Yes.

Aquattro
06-17-2012, 10:08 PM
also, how are the ai sol tank mounting kit? is it nice? ugly? or dont know :)

you can see a pic on the website

http://www.aquaillumination.com/accessories/

modularled has some better pics, and other options for mounting arms

burgerchow
06-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Huh? Where did you get that bit of info?

from the Kessil site and a lot of other sites like Marine Depot.

The manufacturer of the led is Dicon, a division of Kessil.

burgerchow
06-17-2012, 10:41 PM

the Kessil's can be mounted to a gooseneck that is attached to the back of your tank. Google them.

camaro7019
06-18-2012, 07:26 AM
i cant find any info about the mountain rail, as i have no option of hanging them from the ceiling, i have seen 1 picture and it looks very close to the water but yet ai says 10-12" about the water? but there tank mount is so close? what the heck?

lastlight
06-18-2012, 08:35 AM
from the Kessil site and a lot of other sites like Marine Depot.

The manufacturer of the led is Dicon, a division of Kessil.

Orphek claim to have also developed their own LED as well. This would probably predate the Kessil not that it matters...

mandyplo
06-19-2012, 06:04 AM
Hi, just purchased two kessil A350w's for my 4 foot tank (55gallon). It was mentioned that I would only need one but there would have been some spots without/lacking light so I went with two. Cost me $830 total for the two lights to be shipped to my doorstep.

They have been up an running for two weeks now and I must say they are everything I hoped for and I have started my shopping for coral now. they are both the black style. I think they also come in white. They give the shimmer effect I was longing for and both have the dimmable ability. Range from deep ocean blue to sky blue I think it's called? Both completely customizable. I don't know how many you would need in your tank probably 2-3 I'm assuming 2 would be enough as 2 is overkill for my 4 foot tank and we have them hanging a foot above the tank. I think one would have been enough but I must say I'm glad I went with the kessil I have no regrets and haven't had the feeling "damn should have gone with a different brand..." let me add this is my first set of tank lights purchased (other than the ones that came with my tank).

Everything I could have asked for. Highly recommended light!!!

camaro7019
06-19-2012, 08:35 AM
well, i herd good things about the kessil's but i got talked into the ai sol by like everyone haha! so i purchased 2 new ai sol super blue's will be here by friday! ill let you guys know how i like them, the reason i picked them is because of everyone who has them loves them and i like the controler, everything can be controled timed etc etc, kessil's cant, ai sol's are upgradable when they come up with new hardware aswell!! i think ill like them, now just gotta build a mount for them :) thanks guys

molotov
06-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Can you control the Kessil's with a controller?
I've heard the power supplies get ridiculously hot with the Kessils's?