PDA

View Full Version : Frags

ElGuappo
06-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Just out of curiosity has anyone else noticed the differences in frags survival varying from tank to tank.

I currently running a 20 with a sol on it. After cycle etc i started adding sps. Now i have gotten Frags from 3 different sources and it is insane how some coals are thriving while others are not.

I got 3 Frags from snappy and while one in a matter of 6 weeks has colored up nicely and has started to growth. Now another has done absolutely nothing and the last is about to bleach out. All are at the same level. Yes i realize that these are different corals and probably have different requirements, but my understanding is that these came from under 400w mh. Unless snappy has changed his lighting since i last looked. I have also brought home Frags from red coral that were flourishing under a 2x250w guiesmann. Same case. Some Frags lived and some did not.
And the last case is fisheytime. He was kind enough to let me go shopping before taking everything to the chuck. Now in this case i only lost one Frag and the others started growing in less than two weeks. All params check out. Now dougs Frags came from under t5ho.
I just find it curious that this would be so different.

Sent from my galaxy S2 using tapatalk

Aquattro
06-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Don't really see any type of pattern at all, it's just the way SPS are. Some do well, some don't. Some grow fast, others don't grow at all, and some fade away. Ideally, more grow than fade, but it depends on the coral, it's source, it's time and changes during shipping, it's new lighting, water chemistry and flow, available food in the water column, and on and on.

reefermadness
06-17-2012, 11:42 PM
The big thing for me is how long has it been in captivity.....is the mother colony grown from a frag? Does it have a history of doing well in an aquarium? Not all SPS do well and/or grow in an aquarium.

reefermadness
06-18-2012, 01:01 AM
Don't really see any type of pattern at all, it's just the way SPS are. Some do well, some don't. The pattern for me is whether or not someone else has been successful in growing it and keeping it healthy/colourful. I have never lost a single aquarium grown frag. I've lost lots of wild and maricultured pieces. This mostly pertains to acropora.....

Aquattro
06-18-2012, 01:45 AM
The pattern for me is whether or not someone else has been successful in growing it and keeping it healthy/colourful. I have never lost a single aquarium grown frag. I've lost lots of wild and maricultured pieces. This mostly pertains to acropora.....

Agreed. The OP doesn't state how long the seller had the frags, that could be the difference. If the frags have been recently cut from maricultured colonies, and not given enough time to settle before being moved again, that could reduce the likelihood of success.
I think I've only ever lost one piece that came from an established aquarium colony. I think I've only ever kept one piece that was wild. Generally pretty lucky with maricultured, but I get them out of the box most of the time, that reduces the bouncing from tank to tank.

ElGuappo
06-18-2012, 02:21 AM
Ahhh yes the wild caught. I forgot about this. Well if i think about it. The majority of the ones lost were wild caught. Or first gen tank raised.
I think the majority of lost were Walt smith. I have never managed to keep these alive.
Good call.

Sent from my galaxy S2 using tapatalk