PDA

View Full Version : When do you say enough?

Aquattro
06-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Or do you, like me and others I know, need an intervention? I continue to acquire frags with absolutely nowhere to put them. I have about a dozen unique frags sitting in racks, and not a square inch of useable space to mount them. Most of them tabling too, so they need a fair bit of room.
How do you decide what needs to go in order to make room? No, bigger tank is not an option...

Who else does this?? :razz:

dreef
06-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Its not a hobby...it's a disease.Trust me i know what your talking about.In quite a few areas my acropora have maybe a 1/2 inch between them.And i can't stop getting more.

Snaz
06-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Oh poor guy, cry me a river! Try juggling a new SPS addiction when your entire display is 12 gallons.

Seriously you have to make difficult decisions but know the corals you give away will prosper and give pleasure in someone else's home.

Aquattro
06-17-2012, 05:18 PM
I wish I had a 1/2 inch. I've got to cut a bunch today just to stop the fighting!!

Aquattro
06-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Oh poor guy, cry me a river! Try juggling a new SPS addiction when your entire display is 12 gallons.

Seriously you have to make difficult decisions but know the corals you give away will prosper and give pleasure in someone else's home.

ya, I can see your point. 12g would take me about 7 minutes to fill. I just can't decide which corals have to go...

lockrookie
06-17-2012, 05:29 PM
very shortly i have 180 gallons of real estate...i can store some for you lol.. ive never had a realy ful tank as ofyet so i dont know the feeling yet. build a swap tank and stoe corals in it and every so often switch them out like we do with daycare toys.. this way its like a different tank every 6 months

Aquattro
06-17-2012, 05:32 PM
very shortly i have 180 gallons of real estate...i can store some for you lol.. ive never had a realy ful tank as ofyet so i dont know the feeling yet. build a swap tank and stoe corals in it and every so often switch them out like we do with daycare toys.. this way its like a different tank every 6 months

not sure getting them to you would be easy :) The frag tank/swap tank is a good idea, but all my corals are mounted directly to the rock, and not easily swapped in and out. To remove anything at this point is close to surgery -lol

marie
06-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Do what I did, take frags of all the corals you want to keep, remove all the rock and replace with new stuff......

don.ald
06-17-2012, 06:12 PM
i have space in my tanks so if you need counselling i'm there for you! buddy, pal.

Casey8
06-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Its not a hobby...it's a disease.

I agree :mrgreen:

SteveConn
06-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Hmm.. I can relate. Only been into this hobby for 11 months and I've gone from the initital 22g nano, then bought a 12g nano for "overflow" corals and to the current 75g tank that is so full I am using Mag Disk coral frag mounts to allopw myself to use the glass walls as real estate. I have acros pointing into the tank.
I work in addictions, sometimes I look at my tank and think "what the heck is the big deal?" Then look closer and think "wonder if there is room for another, bluer SPS"

Thankfully(?), I am moving into a house in a few months.. I think the addiction will overcome any semblance of self control.

dc4
06-17-2012, 06:44 PM
I have resorted to picking out the best of the bunch and selling the others. Most of mine are not large colonies yet though so your in a bit of a pickle. I would pick your least favorite colony and sell it as a whole to a happy reefer or frag the whole thing up and bring it to the frag and swap and have lots of happy reefers.

That way its a win/win as you have lots of extra room (for now) and you also made the world a happier place for your fellow reefers. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

SteveConn
06-17-2012, 07:14 PM
BTW: I pay for shipping :-P

Enigma
06-17-2012, 07:30 PM
I'm thinking your query is rhetorical, and while I'm not yet there (okay, I'm there) I'm going with a bigger display for now. In the event a bigger display was not an option, I would either a) Have a good critical look to see what wasn't doing as well as it could be in my tank, and b) determine what was doing exceptionally well. I would sell or give away those in the first category, and heavily frag those in the second.

jorjef
06-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Its not a hobby...it's a disease.
21 mini maxi's, 7 different varieties of hammers, 3 torches, 4 frogspawn and numerous other corals. It's got to the point if one goes in one has to come out. Hi my name is Jeff, I'm sick and there is no cure on the horizon.

Chronic, a disease that is long-lasting and reoccurring.

Coralgurl
06-17-2012, 08:43 PM
How about a fts of this amazing tank??:lol:

Aquattro
06-17-2012, 09:13 PM
How about a fts of this amazing tank??:lol:

Sure, here's a pic..

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd101/reef_raf/full_LED.jpg

Snaz
06-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Sure, here's a pic..

Oh come on... That front pane of glass could hold dozens of frag racks. :wink:

Borderjumper
06-17-2012, 09:29 PM
Or Atleast a few magnet holders!

Brad is this with the new LED's?

Aquattro
06-17-2012, 09:29 PM

Something I try really hard to avoid with the "display" tank :)

Leah
06-17-2012, 10:16 PM
I could take your Queen Angel off your hands...if that will help you any. :biggrin:

Aquattro
06-17-2012, 10:17 PM
I could take your Queen Angel off your hands...if that will help you any. :biggrin:

Actually, she has to go. Developed a taste for acro polyps. Too bad, she's a beauty!

reefermadness
06-17-2012, 11:19 PM
I was dealing with this a while ago as well.....simply get rid of the corals that are the least rare or attractive. If a bigger tank isnt an option than this is really the only option.

Aquattro
06-18-2012, 01:39 AM
I was dealing with this a while ago as well.....simply get rid of the corals that are the least rare or attractive. If a bigger tank isnt an option than this is really the only option.

Ya, unfortunately the few I have no problem getting rid of are in bad spots anyway, and damn near impossible to remove. (encrusted over a 4" area). I guess one should really have the outgoing coral in mind before buying the new one, eh? :)
Although, with the way the Queen Angel is going today, she might solve the problem for me!!

Snaz
06-18-2012, 01:50 AM
How in the works do you catch a fish in a tank so stuffed with sps? I would think after a catch like that you would have dozens of frags on the sandbed.

Aquattro
06-18-2012, 02:06 AM
How in the works do you catch a fish in a tank so stuffed with sps? I would think after a catch like that you would have dozens of frags on the sandbed.

3x50g drums, a couple of 2" hoses. Drain the tank, pick up fish, fill tank. Takes about 10 minutes. Like a big water change :)

christyf5
06-18-2012, 03:05 AM
you could be like me, have sporadic success, that way the frags fit in nicely where the dead colonies were. I'll be down to a single frag rack soon. :neutral:

Aquattro
06-18-2012, 03:11 AM
you could be like me, have sporadic success, that way the frags fit in nicely where the dead colonies were. I'll be down to a single frag rack soon. :neutral:

What have you done now??

tang daddy
06-18-2012, 07:09 AM
Only 10 frags brad??

I have 3 frag racks full of sps I wanna keep and no where to put them... Bigger tank is not an option otherwise I would've got a big tank last year.

I am in a serious dellima....

Aquattro
06-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Only 10 frags brad??

I have 3 frag racks full of sps I wanna keep and no where to put them... Bigger tank is not an option otherwise I would've got a big tank last year.

Which is the whole point to this thread! What the heck are we doing?? lol

Dez
06-18-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm considering going to softies. I'm kinda bored/tired of the fragging, pruning, getting rid of colonies and still not having room in the display. My large clam is trapped now, the only way I can get it out is if I break 2 colonies off of the rock.... I haven't bought a coral for
Well over a year.... Maybe that's why I'm bored. Well, it's pond season now anyway so I'll tinker outside.... Thanks for the avenue for the rant :)

christyf5
06-18-2012, 03:11 PM
What have you done now??

no idea, its the usual. My birthday arrived and I didn't buy the tank a present.

christyf5
06-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Which is the whole point to this thread! What the heck are we doing?? lol

Only 10 frags brad??

I like to think of it as growing them up larger to decide if I like them or not. Which is why I currently have two "frags" that are now not removeable from the frag rack and the frag racks are pretty much in the tank permanently :razz:

Coralgurl
06-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Wow, stunning! Can't say I feel bad for ya though, my tank is still relatively empty, you could always ship west...I'm sure there's a few of us that would love to help you out!!:mrgreen:

Sure, here's a pic..

Skimmerking
06-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Brad WOW you tank looks Great man. Sorry you dont have much real estate left wish i was closer man so i could take some

lastlight
06-18-2012, 03:55 PM
I love the rainbow frogspawn Brad. Is that the LEDs working their magic?

tang daddy
06-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Another idea is to put sps frags inside larger colonies.....kinda like the pearl inside an oyster.

Rich put and acro in the center of his red cap and it will look amazing once it fills in, looks kinda artsy aswell.

Brad your tank looks amazing since we last visited at the Vic swap and now with LEDs, when I return from my wedding in August, I will plan a weekend to hit the island to see a few tanks....

Yours, Christy and Waynes tank are on my definate list!

lastlight
06-18-2012, 05:47 PM
Another idea is to put sps frags inside larger colonies.....kinda like the pearl inside an oyster.

Any pictures of this? Won't a fairly small frag easily be over-powered and killed by the large colony?

Aquattro
06-18-2012, 07:03 PM
I love the rainbow frogspawn Brad. Is that the LEDs working their magic?

No, that's a pretty accurate pic..

Aquattro
06-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Any pictures of this? Won't a fairly small frag easily be over-powered and killed by the large colony?

I've had acros inside caps before, it works well and looks cool. Cap grows out, acro grows up, everyone gets along. Usually :)

lastlight
06-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Yeah I have a digi in a cap... was sorta envisioning an acro in an acro but I need to read more closely =)

Nano
06-18-2012, 07:38 PM
What are you complaining about?! You have so much space still!
:lol::wink:
in all seriousness if you need to make room I will take those off your hands :P
Sure, here's a pic..

Bblinks
06-18-2012, 10:00 PM
We are all addicts.... this is my solution....sorta!:redface:

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i331/bblinks/c56bdd96.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i331/bblinks/4dd2e8ba.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i331/bblinks/8c7909fc.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i331/bblinks/cfb900fa.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i331/bblinks/99710d3d.jpg

Its linked to the main system so I don't have to buy another set of equipment.

Maybe its time for a remote sump and frag tank down stairs....

Delphinus
06-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Hahahaha, it's a rough life. My sympathies. At least not the WHOLE lot seems to be spawning on you and starting to grow in places you didn't expect to find them. I can just see it now: open the fridge "WHAT THE .... YOU DAMN CORALS! STAY OUT OF MY FRIDGE!" Soon they'll be following you on runs and chatting your ear off when you're trying to concentrate on a .. a .. whatever it is that runners think about when they're running. I have no idea, but I imagine it's something like "what am I going to do about all these darn corals?".

Terrible. Just terrible! Oh the humanity.

I'd offer some useful advice like "Have you tried not buying corals?" or "You should find the appropriate corals that you like best and stay with those" but .. truth be told I have no idea what the solution is. Asking on Canreef is probably the worst thing you can possibly do if you are expecting a serious answer to the question.. :)

Aquattro
06-18-2012, 11:11 PM
I'd offer some useful advice like "Have you tried not buying corals?"

Well that there be the crux of the problem, eh? Ya, I tried. I failed. Anytime I see a new frag of something I don't have, it follows me home. And it appears it's not just me.
you wait, Tony, I'm going to save your reply for one day when you might run out of room....(it could happen!!)

marie
06-19-2012, 02:13 AM
You have to learn to be ruthless Brad.....get rid of it all and start again

problem
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/july410018.jpg

Temporary solution
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/P1270111.jpg

Even better solution, get a bigger tank :razz:

Aquattro
06-19-2012, 02:20 AM
lol, no, not there yet!! Maybe when branches break the surface :) I found a couple of pieces that can go, and maybe a third opening for another frag...getting there..

GracieLou
06-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Kinda funny I'm picturing an episode of "Hoarders" with frag tanks on every wall stacked to the ceiling... but I'm sure no one is quite at that point....yet!

Nano
06-19-2012, 10:01 PM
whatever it is that runners think about when they're running. I have no idea, but I imagine it's something like "what am I going to do about all these darn corals?".

lol when I run I think, "Damn, I shouldn't have had that cake" ;)

Borderjumper
06-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Kinda funny I'm picturing an episode of "Hoarders" with frag tanks on every wall stacked to the ceiling... but I'm sure no one is quite at that point....yet!

Ummmm no one would ever think of doing that!:idea:

Borderjumper
06-19-2012, 10:09 PM
lol when I run I think, "Damn, I shouldn't have had that cake" ;)
I just have the cake and don't think about running.. Problem solved!

Nano
06-19-2012, 10:20 PM
lol if I didnt have a wife, I would too :P

GracieLou
06-19-2012, 10:36 PM
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h345/RebeccaGurr/facebook_-955423478.jpg

Off topic I know but fitting and funny!

Borderjumper
06-19-2012, 11:05 PM
And even more off topic..

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Carrida/00577527.jpg

Snappy
06-19-2012, 11:57 PM
Brad if your corals are not growing out of the water like they were in my old 130 gal you have room. :biggrin:
Corals are like Jello, & since there's always room for Jello, there's always room for another frag.:wink:
Your tank look great!

blaster
06-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Hey brad,Whats that in the back right bottom of your tank?

Aquattro
06-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Hey brad,Whats that in the back right bottom of your tank?

Right at the end? That's a frogspawn..

tang daddy
06-20-2012, 05:34 PM

I think I am close to that point....;)

dc4
06-20-2012, 05:41 PM
I think I am close to that point....;)

Just like in in the show, you should buy a 2nd home or trailer to live in and then there would be more room for tanks... :lol: