PDA

View Full Version : hitchhicker eel

Aquaria
06-17-2012, 07:06 AM
So I was checking out the tank tonight after lights out and decided to check the sump rock tosee if anything interesting popped up as I added some cheato n a light a couple weeks ago and as I'm moving the flashlight around I noticed an eye what I seen was about an inch of a fish or eel and he's about 4mm in diameter. Should I add some mysis to the sump? Maybe cyclopeze since he's so small? I would assume not a lot of food makes it to that end of the sump and would like to see him live. Also are there any bad eel hitchhickers? Is it possible he came with the cheato? It's the only thing I added to the sump in a year

Starry
06-17-2012, 07:34 AM
sure its not a peanut worm? possible it could be a pipefish or garden eel, but unlikely.

Aquaria
06-17-2012, 07:43 AM
sure its not a peanut worm? possible it could be a pipefish or garden eel, but unlikely.

Pretty sure it wasn't it had eyes n a mouth n looked nothing like the one I have on my DT also could be a baby of somthing as I saw what looked like a spine the thing was kinda transparent I only seen it for a few seconds before it backed into the rock it didn't respond to the light like most worms do

Aquaria
06-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Been looking at pics of garden eels n pipefish and it doesn't look like either of them. Are there any worms that have.eyes?

paddyob
06-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Seeing live rock is shipped wrapped in moist paper only... Seems unlikely sn eel could even survive the transportation.

Now if it's a snakehead........ Lol.

But either way, try get a pic. That would be the ONLY way to get an ident.

Aquaria
06-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Seeing live rock is shipped wrapped in moist paper only... Seems unlikely sn eel could even survive the transportation.

He didn't come with my live rock all rock in my sump sat in a sealed bucket for 7 months when I moved to bc. What ever he is he had to come with the bag of cheato I got from jlaquatics its the only thing I added to the sump since I started this tank I think ill take all the rock out soon and see if I can get a pic

reefwars
06-17-2012, 04:37 PM

actually most eels can spend an amazing time out of water sometimes days and still be alive:)

toytech
06-17-2012, 04:40 PM
do you have a cucumber ? If so there is a fish that lives in cucumbers and will come out at night to feed .They look like eels and have a way of popping up out of nowhere.And no im not kidding , there called pearl fish.

paddyob
06-17-2012, 06:01 PM
actually most eels can spend an amazing time out of water sometimes days and still be alive:)

Are you looking for snakeheads Denny? Lol.

Possible, but highly unlikely to survive transport and curing process.

Hear about a lot of carpet surfing eels, so denny, as much as I love yah, I don't see it.

Let's hope for some pictures.

Aquaria
06-17-2012, 06:12 PM

He didn't come with my live rock all rock in my sump sat in a sealed bucket for 7 months when I moved to bc. What ever he is he had to come with the bag of cheato I got from jlaquatics its the only thing I added to the sump since I started this tank I think ill take all the rock out soon and see if I can get a pic

Aquaria
06-17-2012, 06:23 PM
do you have a cucumber ? If so there is a fish that lives in cucumbers and will come out at night to feed .They look like eels and have a way of popping up out of nowhere.And no im not kidding , there called pearl fish.

No cucumbers either I have heard of that fish. man would it be.cool to see that in a home aquarium LOL would be a Wtf moment hehe

Aquaria
06-17-2012, 06:51 PM
He's a fish I just seen him he's about an inch long grey with a black strip along the side

Aquattro
06-17-2012, 09:32 PM
I once got a small (3" ) eel in a shipment of rock. It swam around the tank for a few days, then never saw it again.

chandigz
06-17-2012, 11:13 PM
I've seen 2 eels arrive in live rock. Both my buddy and I ended up with small richardsons morays from a shipment of Bali rock. A lot of the air shipped live rock has only been out of the water for less then 48hrs so you would be surprized what we find still alive. After my tank crashed I cooked my rock for 4 or 5 months in a covered rubbermaid bin and the richardsons moray some how survived.

Aquaria
06-18-2012, 01:04 AM
Wish I had got an eel LOL instead I got a fish that's prob going to grow to 3ft or somthing LOL if it survives in my sump anyway. LOL no way am I going to stick an unknown fish in my Display tank

paddyob
06-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Pic yet?

Interested to see what you found.

ashr
06-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Yes, please get us a picture!

Aquaria
06-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Since hes so small the pics iv taken turned out blurry plus I haven't seen him since

Aquaria
06-21-2012, 06:39 PM
I'll pull some rocks out of the sump the next w/c n see if I can get a better pic

Aquaria
06-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Weird double post