PDA

View Full Version : Need tips for finding the source of Nutrients

Slick Fork
06-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Hi there,

So, I've got Algae and therefore nutrients... there, I've admitted it. What's killing me though is where are they coming from and what am I doing wrong to remove them.

So, a the background info:
Tank 33 gallon
Sump ~30 gallons actual volume
Live rock ~I THINK it's about 30 or 40 lbs. 90% of it was dry 2 year ago when I started the tank up.
Skimmer: Vertex In-180
GFO and carbon mixed in a reactor
Chaeto in a stagnant part of the sump with a PC (13 watt) Flood light on it.

Flow in the display:
2x6055 opposing and set to pulse, creating a small 3/4" wave
1 6045 with the wide flow mod trying to fix stagnant areas at the bottom of the tank
Return pump ~500gph

Inhabitants
Tail spot Blenny
Sailfin Goby
Yellow Watchman Goby
Neon Blue Goby
Royal Gramma
Peppermint Shrimp
SPS/LPS/Acans and a struggling zoanthid frag

Maintenance:
5 gallon water change every two months with H2Ocean salt - RO/DI water at 0ppm
Calcium added to the salt during water changes
on my 3rd month of Prodibio (only using 1 vial, not the recommended two.. because I'm cheap)
Coral Snow randomly (when I remember)
GFO Changed - not often enough, every couple of months.
When I have time, I vacuum detritus up from the display through a filter sock in the sump (Sock is only there temporarily)

Feeding:
NLS pellets and Spirulina pellets a little less often than daily. No Frozen food.

Relevant history and other information:
-Was on that Royal Nature salt last year, switched to D&D H2Ocean in January(ish) and the tank has been improving ever since.
-Couple of skimmer overflows dumping a weeks worth of skimmate into the sump each time in the last month (likely culprit?)
-Chaeto grows excruciatingly slowly... maybe due to low flow, and older/smaller lightbulb?

So, my hunch is that the two big skimmer overflows are the prime culprit in my most recent algae bloom, but I have a sneaking suspicion that since the chaeto isn't tumbling, that whatever benefit I get from the top getting the light is offset or worse by stuff decomposing on the bottom of the ball.

What else am I missing? I kind of feel with a skimmer rated for my old 180 gallon system and frequent water changes, I shouldn't have any nutrient issues at all. It doesn't seem like I have a huge bioload, and I'm certainly not feeding a ton.

Would really appreciate some suggestions

Cheers

toxic111
06-16-2012, 09:44 PM
I would increase water changes for one. That will help pull some of the excess out. Probidio will only help some. But go to the 2 & 1. Also need to make sure you are cleaning up the ditrius up every water change.

toxic111
06-16-2012, 09:45 PM
I also noticed the most changes while using provision but getting rid of the GFO

camaro7019
06-16-2012, 09:46 PM
water change once a week :) thats what i do, no algae !

reefwars
06-16-2012, 09:52 PM
what kind of algae hair algae??

Slick Fork
06-16-2012, 10:08 PM
I should clarify that with the prodibio I was trying I was adding one of everything except the yellow stuff, but not the recommended two vials of everything.

I also noticed the most changes while using provision but getting rid of the GFO

So you think the GFO is interfering with the prodibio?

what kind of algae hair algae??
Sort of a scrubby coarse looking hair algae (not bryopsis thank god) as well as some cyano + Feather and Grape Caulepera (not sure if I spelled that right)

Proteus
06-16-2012, 10:28 PM
I run prodibio and rowaphos together with no issues. For me the rowa is piece of mind.
I would increase water changes and quit being so cheap with the prodibio. You wasting more money half assing the dose.

What are you water readings. Maybe consider a algea scrubber over Cheato. I can't grow cheato or mangrove but no problems
Growing HA

toxic111
06-17-2012, 01:26 AM
I was still having algae problems with the probidio until I was told to get rid of the GFO. Other phosphate removal media may not effect it. You may want to check the probidio web site to see what they say. All I use is the biodigest & bioptim.

In my 33 gal with 25gal sump (around 40gal volume) I was dosing 1 each of biodigest & bioptim every 14 days. I just checked the product website & you should use one of each every 15 days.

Hope that helps. I did notice with mine it took a good 6 to 8 weeks before I saw things happening. But for sure to increase your water changes.

RuGlu6
06-17-2012, 01:35 AM
Slowly stop dosing (probidio is/may be your source) and get an algae scrubber
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86043&page=2
I just got one of these installed 9 days ago and it is already growing algae.
Its on 18 hrs lighting schedule
http://www.reefshops.com/algae-turf-scrubbers-ats-filter.html
Mine is almost looks like that right now
http://www.reefshops.com/images/detailed/113202971834eb222df23800.jpg
So the algae that grows on the turf scrubber is the algae that will Not grow in your display tank.

Enigma
06-17-2012, 01:46 AM
What kind of lights do you have on your DT? How old are they? A spectrum shift could account for the algae.

Slick Fork
06-17-2012, 04:23 AM
Prodibio is on the 15 days schedule, I was hoping 1 vial of everything except the yellow food stuff would be sufficient since I'm so close to the 50 gallon cut off. Doubling the dose puts it at $40/month, too rich for me unless I just do the bioptim/biodigest and dose the iodine and strontium monthly.

I've thought of an Algae scrubber since the chaeto isn't doing so hot. I'll have to do some reading as the only way I could manage it would be to tie it into my return so I wouldn't need yet another pump in the sump, It'd also have to be one sided due to the way things fit.

Lighting is AI Sol's so I doubt that's contributing to the problem.

Aquattro
06-17-2012, 04:30 AM
What else am I missing? I kind of feel with a skimmer rated for my old 180 gallon system and frequent water changes,

You say 5g every 2 months? That's not frequent. I would expect nutrient excess at that.
I would increase water changes to more water, more often...

Slick Fork
06-17-2012, 04:32 AM
You say 5g every 2 months? That's not frequent. I would expect nutrient excess at that.
I would increase water changes to more water, more often...

Crap, I meant to say WEEKS... 5 gallons every two weeks :) but maybe had twice a month stuck in my head as I was typing!

Proteus
06-17-2012, 04:35 AM
If space is a issue for a algea scrubber try using your overflow lines to supply water to the screen. Of coarse the would be on sided.
Or
Subman made one that's sumbmerced in his sump using a air stone at its base. Check his build thread

If your using a generic brand of gfo this could be a problem being you stated you change it one every two months. Once saturated it may release back into your water. This is why I use rowa. That say it dows not release once saturated. Also I use to remove any silicates.

As for your prodi bio I dose strontium and iodide seperate with the sea hem bottles at 5 ml every two weeks. I find it cheaper than the prodibio vials

Aquattro
06-17-2012, 04:41 AM
Crap, I meant to say WEEKS... 5 gallons every two weeks :) but maybe had twice a month stuck in my head as I was typing!

ah, ok :) I'd maybe double the amount for a while and see if that helps.