PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about Eels?

ChefFish
06-16-2012, 06:33 PM
I have 2 eels, a 14 inch Snowflake & a 6 inch Dwarf Zebra. I am currently running 2 tanks, a 90G, with the Snowflake, & a 29G JBJ HQI Biocube with the Dwarf Zebra Eel. I am finding it to be too much trying to split my time between the 2 and want to shut down and sell the Biocube. My question is will the 2 Eels live together in the 90G in harmony? I am not willing to get rid of either. I thought maybe if I took them both out, changed around the 90 a bit and put them back in they might go there seperate ways and live peacefully? Anyone have any experience with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx
ChefFish

reefwars
06-16-2012, 06:43 PM
I have 2 eels, a 14 inch Snowflake & a 6 inch Dwarf Zebra. I am currently running 2 tanks, a 90G, with the Snowflake, & a 29G JBJ HQI Biocube with the Dwarf Zebra Eel. I am finding it to be too much trying to split my time between the 2 and want to shut down and sell the Biocube. My question is will the 2 Eels live together in the 90G in harmony? I am not willing to get rid of either. I thought maybe if I took them both out, changed around the 90 a bit and put them back in they might go there seperate ways and live peacefully? Anyone have any experience with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx
ChefFish

no they wont not in a 90g they may for a while but i can bet during feeding time one day they will have it out and it will be to the death.your snowflake is going to explode in growth over the next 6mths - a year and will become a bit territorial.

jagermaier
06-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Your snowflake would make a meal out of your dwarf zebra in no time. I had a snowflake that went after anything that crossed its path...!!

ChefFish
06-16-2012, 06:53 PM
Thanx guys, right now the snowflake is living peacefully with 5 peppermint shrimp. As long as we feed him well he seems pretty docile. Guess thats not going to last.

reefwars
06-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanx guys, right now the snowflake is living peacefully with 5 peppermint shrimp. As long as we feed him well he seems pretty docile. Guess thats not going to last.

it could last the trick is keeping it well fed with a variety of foods, shrimp like peppermints have ways of staying out of harms way. as he gets to mature size his territory is basically his lair so he defends it a bit more agressively and explores around less:)

monocus
06-16-2012, 07:11 PM
i have a snowflake and a zebra living in the same tank.it is a 220 gal though.they usually stay together and have their heads out the same hole at feeding time.then it always depends on the fish itself.my snowflake is almost 3' long and my zebra is almost 4'

ChefFish
06-16-2012, 07:19 PM
My zebra is a dwarf and won't get any bigger then 6 inches. But my sniwflake is very docile. Maybe I will give it a try.

Mandosh
06-16-2012, 07:47 PM
I've never heard of a dwarf zebra eel, especially one that only grows to 6". Even golden dwarfs get bigger than that. Do you have any other info on it? species name? maybe a picture?

ChefFish
06-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Here is a pic, sorry about the quality. The person I bought him from got him in Edmonton. He was only the second one they had ever seen. I can find no information online about him. All I was told was that it is a dwarf zebra eel. Any info anyone has would be appreciated.

Nate
06-16-2012, 09:04 PM
It's not an eel, it's an engineer goby or convict Benny.

There are multiple groups doing insane amounts of research on them at the moment. Biggest one I've seen in captivity is about 14 inches.

ChefFish
06-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Thank you Nate, I have been trying to figure him out for a month or so. Anybody ever put one with an eel?

Mandosh
06-16-2012, 09:59 PM
It's not an eel, it's an engineer goby.

I had a feeling it might be an engineer goby. On the upside, it should do just fine with the snowflake eel.

ChefFish
06-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Thanx everyone, its amazing how much false information is out there in this hobby.

wow
06-17-2012, 12:15 AM
Here is a pic, sorry about the quality. The person I bought him from got him in Edmonton. He was only the second one they had ever seen. I can find no information online about him. All I was told was that it is a dwarf zebra eel. Any info anyone has would be appreciated.
yea its an engineer goby and i have that living with a white eye morrey and a blue ribbon eel in 180gal. they are living happily together and sharing the same cave too

subman
06-17-2012, 02:24 AM
for what its worth now I had an adult snowflake and a dwarf golden eel together in a 90 for many years with no problems at all.

2bafish
06-17-2012, 02:43 AM
My snowflake killed another same size snowflake eel and a smaller yellowhead eel in 1 month. It depends on the eel but its a big risk imo.