PDA

View Full Version : Radions...ready to throw out the window

Coralgurl
06-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Does anyone else have problems with the programming or am I an idiot?? I reset the programming on my lights last weekend. Got rid of the clouds and lightening. I'm using one of Subman's profiles, have no other profiles set up but my lights do whatever they want. All week, before 8 am, they are blazing. It's almost 10 am sat and they aren't even on yet. Last night at midnight I thought I had a blue lightening storm as the 3 fixtures were flashing at different times.

I've checked for updates, nothing new, I've reset them. Schedule is to run from 11 am to 10 pm with sunrise/sunset set for hour intervals. I love the look of these and the lighting is great but so frustrated with the programming. Any suggestions?

Bblinks
06-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Maybe you should shoot an email to ecotech marine for some info, no one is going to be better at explaining and diagnose your issues then the manufacture IMO. I know your frustration as I had a similar experience with my AI's but their customer service was really impressive. Good luck.

cale262
06-16-2012, 04:18 PM
They're pretty easy to program....er, once you've done it. I hada similar issue whe I first received mine, it was a very simple solution to the point of almost being embarrassing but still I was getting increasingly frustrated, I simply did not click on the group to be programmed...

I'm assuming you have, but did you watch the programming video. If that doesn't help, set them back to factory setting.

Coralgurl
06-16-2012, 04:29 PM
I know they should be easy to program.....:redface: I've reset to factory and started from scratch to see if this will set the way I want. I don't need to play with these, just trying get some consistency. I've gone through the video and manual....if this doesn't work will go to ecotech for help.
Thanks

reefbyremote
06-16-2012, 11:03 PM
Another hint is to first plug in the usb without the ecotech software running. Then start the software. I had issues if I didn't do it in that order.

Nano
06-16-2012, 11:05 PM
I say toss em and get SOLs ;) jk

subman
06-17-2012, 02:44 AM
I am having issues with one of mine as well and I sent an email to ecotech and have to say their service is incredible. Give it a shot.

Coralgurl
06-17-2012, 07:44 AM
I am having issues with one of mine as well and I sent an email to ecotech and have to say their service is incredible. Give it a shot.

I was out tonight when the lights shut down, will see what happens tomorrow with the programming.

I plug the USB in and have to click on the ecotech link to get it going so that's not a problem.

If this continues with the random lighting I will follow up with ecotech.

Coralgurl
06-17-2012, 07:45 AM
I say toss em and get SOLs ;) jk

Nope, not going to debate lights, just a bit frustrated...:mrgreen:

mexxedm
06-20-2012, 06:26 AM
1. Unplug the power. Important step.
2. Plug in USB to computer.
3. Reset it.
4. Reprogram or use natural mode.
5. Set the time.
6. Program it.
7. Unplug USB.
8. Wait for 3 mins.
9. Plug the power in.
10. Try it again.
Mine went dead. Yes, completely dead. These steps worked for me.

reefgirl189
06-20-2012, 01:27 PM
I had the same problem. Turns out that after programming you need to switch modes. Press and hold the cycle button (middle button). This will switch modes for you and you should hopefully find that it switches from pre programmed modes to your new finely tuned one. Hope that makes sense.

Coralgurl
06-20-2012, 01:56 PM
I emailed ecotech and they said the same thing, I just haven't had a chance to try this yet. Hopefully that's all it is.

Coralgurl
10-15-2012, 12:24 AM
We were out of town this weekend, I got home and noticed my radions are clicking and flashing. So I think something is off with the programming.

First issue, start program, plug in light, show it's connected but the other 2 aren't. So, refresh device list, it finds them good to go. Reset programming, lights start clicking again, and the 2 lights are now disconnected again.

Next issue, I disconnect the USB, unplug all 3 lights, plug back in and my left light will not turn on. So I unplug at the base, plug all back in. Lights on base all show green, but the LEDs stay off.

Restart program, plug in, it shows the lights are all connected, but I the left light will not come on.

Any ideas?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-15-2012, 01:39 AM
Sounds you got a lemon. Maybe check with Ecotech about getting them replaced?

Smudge
10-15-2012, 01:48 AM
Is the fan working on the one that won't light?

Coralgurl
10-15-2012, 01:51 AM
Fans are running on all 3. They are dusty, will pull them all down tomorrow and clean.

I've sent an email to ecotech as well.

Rice Reef
10-15-2012, 01:52 AM
We were out of town this weekend, I got home and noticed my radions are clicking and flashing. So I think something is off with the programming.

First issue, start program, plug in light, show it's connected but the other 2 aren't. So, refresh device list, it finds them good to go. Reset programming, lights start clicking again, and the 2 lights are now disconnected again.

Next issue, I disconnect the USB, unplug all 3 lights, plug back in and my left light will not turn on. So I unplug at the base, plug all back in. Lights on base all show green, but the LEDs stay off.

Restart program, plug in, it shows the lights are all connected, but I the left light will not come on.

Any ideas?

Check the fan ans see if it is running. A few mths ago 1 of my lights was flashing, checked it out and the fan was not running. I had contacted Ecotech and they told me there has been quit a few issues with the fan stopping and causing the lights to flash. It needs to be replaced if that is the case... Contact the store you purchased from and also the distributor for that store. Ecotech will not replace it for you as it has to be replaced by the Cdn distributor. I had posted this issue a few months back Unser equip. , lights.

I know what you are going thru as I've been there... Good luck. :neutral:

Coralgurl
10-15-2012, 02:12 AM
Check the fan ans see if it is running. A few mths ago 1 of my lights was flashing, checked it out and the fan was not running. I had contacted Ecotech and they told me there has been quit a few issues with the fan stopping and causing the lights to flash. It needs to be replaced if that is the case... Contact the store you purchased from and also the distributor for that store. Ecotech will not replace it for you as it has to be replaced by the Cdn distributor. I had posted this issue a few months back Unser equip. , lights.

I know what you are going thru as I've been there... Good luck. :neutral:

I read through your thread. The fans on mine are still going but not as strong. Hopefully ecotech responds tomorrow.

reefgirl189
10-15-2012, 02:28 AM
If its any consolation I've had a radion issue this week as well. Turns out one of the power supplies just up and died on me. Didn't take long to diagnose this problem but its still frustrating as all hell. For the price of these lights I'm a bit disappointed. The p/s worked great for the few months I've had it, no warning at all that something was wrong and when I came home for lunch one day the radion was blinking on and off.

Thankfully Dave from Concept came to the rescue for me and is shipping me a replacement/loaner. I'm just glad that it was only one of the lights and not all three at the same time. Your situation sounds far more frustrating, sorry :(.

mrhasan
10-15-2012, 02:57 AM
The title is so deceiving. I thought you were about to throw out the radions and I was planning to wait outside and grab them :redface::lol::mrgreen:

Sorry to hijack the thread :redface:

mike31154
10-15-2012, 05:31 AM
Sorry I'm no help, but reading thru this I'm really beginning to appreciate my diy Led build with no bells & whistles. I run EcoTech pumps & am quite satisfied with their performance, but have always been a little leary of their LED lights. I think they may have rushed them to market in anticipation of less costly competition with similar features.

Coralgurl
10-15-2012, 01:27 PM
And the weird thing today...the left light is now on this morning.:twised:

Douglas
10-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Wow, what issues with those lights. I hope ecotech will help you out. Makes me question my disire to jump to LED.

Coralgurl
10-15-2012, 02:01 PM
I like the LEDs but I am not such a fan of the radions anymore. For the amount you pay for them, you would expect much better performance, ease of programming and troubleshooting. I may consider selling them and going with something else. As far as ecotech's customer service, I've dealt with them in the past and they are great to work with, hopefully I hear back from them today!

Coralgurl
10-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Spoke with Ecotech today. Figures there is something interferring with the 3 buttons on top of the unit. When I explained how my hanging fixture is set up, he thought that the metal bar on the top of the units may be causing the clicking and flashing. These buttons can be disabled in the programming, which I will do tonight. This makes a lot of sense now as it seemed at times, my programming would simply vanish and the lights would run their own program, ie, back to default.

Regarding the light not coming back on - the usb cable has to be completely unplugged from the light when unplugging the power. Its for surge protection of the fixture. I had unplugged the usb from my laptop, but left the cable hanging from the light.

The dust on the fans should not be a problem as they are designed for the environment they are in, but I am still going to wipe them down.

I guess I'm not selling these now...lol

reefgirl189
10-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Sorry mrhasan, better luck next time ;)

Glad to hear things are getting back to normal around there Coralgurl.

subman
10-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Good to hear! You know all the trouble I was having with mine came down to having the USB cable plugged in all the time. Now that I have it unplugged except to program they have been flawless. On a side note they are wayyy brighter than the AI Vegas

FishyFishy!
10-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Sorry to hear of your troubles and hope it all works out for you!

BUT....if you do decide to throw them out the window... just send me a PM first so I can stand outside and catch them :lol:

mrhasan
10-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Sorry mrhasan, better luck next time ;)

Yah :cry:

Coralgurl
10-16-2012, 04:35 PM
wow, the vultures start circling fast around here lol:mrgreen:

To be honest, the future of the tank is still being debated on the home front. I don't look at and go wow, I look at it and get very sad and frustrated. Don't get me wrong, the corals are doing fine, fish seem happy and growing. Working to get it to a year and then see what happens!

The Grizz
10-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Do You want me to make you some new brackets that are opposite angle to the ones you have Sheena?

Coralgurl
10-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Thanks Greg, I will disable the buttons tonight and see if that works. Bf had his laptop last night and was home late so I couldn't fix. Will get it done tonight, if this works then no need to change the brackets up!!

reefwars
10-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Do You want me to make you some new brackets that are opposite angle to the ones you have Sheena?

i need a hanger greg for mine!! when you coming to cow town next??:P:P

Coralgurl
10-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Get Greg's stand! It'll look so sweet on your tank Denny. I have the kit if you still want it, but I think you'd be happier with a stand!!

Proteus
10-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Yeah Greg built mine. It the bees knees

reefwars
10-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Get Greg's stand! It'll look so sweet on your tank Denny. I have the kit if you still want it, but I think you'd be happier with a stand!!

stand or hanging bracket ??, cause i already have the stand lol sheena i still want your hanging kit its for my roomate:)

greg i need a bracket for 2 radions pls:)

Coralgurl
10-16-2012, 10:25 PM
The light stand not tank stand lol!! Greg can fab one for you!!

The Grizz
10-16-2012, 10:46 PM
Thanks Greg, I will disable the buttons tonight and see if that works. Bf had his laptop last night and was home late so I couldn't fix. Will get it done tonight, if this works then no need to change the brackets up!!

Ok but if needed I can swap yours out really easy just let me know.

Coralgurl
10-16-2012, 11:52 PM
Ok but if needed I can swap yours out really easy just let me know.

I will let you know if it needs the swap!! Thank you. According to Ecotech, disabling the buttons should do the job!

Coralgurl
10-23-2012, 03:24 AM
I'm updating so in 6 months I'll remember the fix. I had disabled the buttons as instructed, but my left light was still not functioning properly. Tonight I unplugged everything again, reprogrammed and the left light would not light up. I separated the light from the group and reset to factory. Then added back to the group and reprogrammed. Finally, the lights are working as programmed. Will keep an eye on them to make sure nothing changes but looks like I finally got this figured out. :lol: next....controller.....:twised:

Reef Pilot
10-23-2012, 03:36 AM
One thing I learned with my Radions, is that once they are working, leave them alone. I have the lighting, moonlight, and intensity the way I want it now, and they work fine. But that was after a lot of fiddling with the software to get it to do what I want.

Don't know who the programmers were that built this for them, but they sure leave a lot to be desired. It's been out for more than a year now, with several software and firmware updates. You'd think by now it would be pretty stable, but sure can't say that yet.

kien
10-23-2012, 03:38 AM
I just read through this whole thread because it sounded like a great murder mystery. "Who killed the lights?". Seriously, the suspense was killing me LOL. Anyway, glad to see that it had a happy ending. Now, I noticed that you said you were kinda "meh" about your tank yet everything is doing well. What exactly don't you like about your tank then? Or is that another mystery that requires its own thread? :-)

Coralgurl
10-23-2012, 03:45 AM
One thing I learned with my Radions, is that once they are working, leave them alone. I have the lighting, moonlight, and intensity the way I want it now, and they work fine. But that was after a lot of fiddling with the software to get it to do what I want.

Don't know who the programmers were that built this for them, but they sure leave a lot to be desired. It's been out for more than a year now, with several software and firmware updates. You'd think by now it would be pretty stable, but sure can't say that yet.

Agreed! The problem was the hanging bars on top were interfering with the buttons, so even though the lights were set, they would randomly change modes. I'd reset and a few weeks later the programming was out of whack again. I don't see any reason to mess with them again for a while.

After a year, I don't know why they can't add to their manual, that's what is lacking, info. Even grouping the lights again took fiddling around.

Here's hoping!

Coralgurl
10-23-2012, 04:05 AM
I just read through this whole thread because it sounded like a great murder mystery. "Who killed the lights?". Seriously, the suspense was killing me LOL. Anyway, glad to see that it had a happy ending. Now, I noticed that you said you were kinda "meh" about your tank yet everything is doing well. What exactly don't you like about your tank then? Or is that another mystery that requires its own thread? :-)

It was a close call...jail time averted...for now..lol

Oh the tank, it's just been an overwhelming setup. The tank is ok, it's the equipment...see this thread?? it's one of a few. :lol: So I've stepped back a bit, keeping things simple, and letting the tank settle. I had so much success with corals in my 55 gl tank (which is what got me hooked on reefing), losing so many has been hard to deal with. For now, I'm focusing on the fish and getting things on the right track. I know it will get where I want it to be and it isn't going to be fast. Will see how things look in the spring.

The Grizz
10-23-2012, 05:06 AM
The problem was the hanging bars on top were interfering with the buttons

DAMN that is my bad, wish I would had seen an actual fixture in person before I built them. I know much better now, image of the top of the light burned into my brain.

Coralgurl
10-23-2012, 05:22 AM
Honestly Greg, there's nothing written in ecotechs manuals that says anything about interference. You built a great stand and I'm not complaining. Mine was a prototype and it works great! It only took ummm like 7 months to figure this out...lol

Coralgurl
12-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Here we go again. My center light is just flashing on and off. I've gone back through this thread and tried everything. Unplugged all the lights, reset to factory, everything and it won't stop flashing. Reef girl noted an issue like this and had to have her light replaced. Anything else I can try first?

intarsiabox
12-09-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm looking at trying a G2 fixture in the near future. I hope the programming bugs are worked out. Sounds like you are need of some of Ecotech's legendary cutomer service!

Rice Reef
12-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Here we go again. My center light is just flashing on and off. I've gone back through this thread and tried everything. Unplugged all the lights, reset to factory, everything and it won't stop flashing. Reef girl noted an issue like this and had to have her light replaced. Anything else I can try first?

Have you checked to see if the fan is working or not? If the fan is working run this Radion independently ( turn the other two completely off) and see if the light is still flashing... Do the reset for this unit and if that does not work contact Ecotech...

subman
12-09-2012, 10:18 PM
What color lights are flashing Sheena?

reefgirl189
12-09-2012, 10:22 PM

For me it required replacing the ballast. Troubleshoot it by switching ballasts with another light unit and see if the newly switched light blinks now. Knock on wood but the radions are the only thing working correctly on my tank lately (besides the BBK skimmer, that thing is still my favorite). Apex controller is starting to really irritate me.

Coralgurl
12-09-2012, 10:25 PM
The light just flashes on and off, no specific color, just all on or all off. I did reset it alone to factory but even during programming it would just flash. The fan is working. I've unplugged it for now as it was freaking the fish out.

I havent touched the lights since everything got sorted out a while ago and they were running fine.

I'll send an email to ecotech tomorrow.

Coralgurl
12-09-2012, 10:28 PM
For me it required replacing the ballast. Troubleshoot it by switching ballasts with another light unit and see if the newly switched light blinks now. Knock on wood but the radions are the only thing working correctly on my tank lately (besides the BBK skimmer, that thing is still my favorite). Apex controller is starting to really irritate me.

I did this and now the left light is blinking. Did yours get replaced?

Borderjumper
12-09-2012, 10:33 PM

Mine did that a month ago..it was the ballast. Just unplug your troubled one from the ballast and try it on another ballast. Then try one that's working fine on the troubled ballast.

Aqua Digital was wicked fast in replacing my ballast!

If your reading this AD can I order an extra ballast, to have on hand as this seems to be a common problem?

reefgirl189
12-09-2012, 11:02 PM
I did this and now the left light is blinking. Did yours get replaced?

Yeah Concept shipped me up a working ballast and I sent them the faulty one. A pleasure dealing with them, as always. It was a quick fix but pretty annoying. Lights were working great and then out of nowhere one day the ballast went. I hadn't touched a thing.

Sounds like you are having the same ballast issue that Borderjumper and I had.

Borderjumper
12-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Yeah Concept shipped me up a working ballast and I sent them the faulty one. A pleasure dealing with them, as always. It was a quick fix but pretty annoying. Lights were working great and then out of nowhere one day the ballast went. I hadn't touched a thing.

Sounds like you are having the same ballast issue that Borderjumper and I had.

Yeah it's weird , things were working fine and then one morning when the lights came one one was flashing. It was flashing full power, curiosity makes me wonder what goes wrong with those ballasts....

Coralgurl
12-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Very weird! Mine was fine too. I walked into the room to grab a heater and when I was walking out, it started. I'll call Dave at concept tomorrow, that's where I got them from anyway. Gladits a fairly reasonable fix, they are still under warranty anyway!! Thanks for the help!

mike31154
12-10-2012, 12:18 AM
Curious about the terminology of 'ballast' for an LED fixture. Not that it really matters, but is that the official terminology used by EcoTech? If so, unusual, since most LED power supplies are called 'drivers' these days. It's possible that the drivers are in the fixture & the 'ballast' is just a generic power supply? I suppose I could find all this out by going on their site & checking the info... but what the hey, I'm on here now.

Coralgurl
12-10-2012, 12:24 AM
It's the power supply that's not working properly.

brotherd
12-10-2012, 01:09 AM
Brutal light problems! I'm sure Dave can help you out if Ecotech is dragging their heels.

mike31154
12-10-2012, 01:27 AM
It's the power supply that's not working properly.

Thanks for the response. As others have mentioned, I'm sure you'll be fixed up with a new one in no time.

Still, makes one wonder. All the design, engineering, features packed into these fixtures and all it takes is a faulty power supply to put you out of business. Not trying to be negative, it just makes me think of all the Asia product bashing that goes on in forums from time to time. Just guessing here, but I suspect EcoTech is sourcing their power supplies from Asia as well. So all the engineering & features fall victim to them cheaping out on the item that provides the juice in the first place. Having said that, my DIY fixture features components pretty much exclusively from Asia and it's running relatively trouble free. Two fans failed, that's it. Must admit that it's a much cruder set up without all the bells & whistles though.

I think I mentioned already that I have MP40 pumps and am quite happy with them, but in a way I don't like how EcoTech goes about marketing & pricing their products. My first MP40 was an earlier generation product with the magnets that would rust. I think they may have rushed them onto the scene before the product was tested long enough. On the other hand, I suppose it's the only way to stay in business when competing in a global market. You gotta get stuff out there or get lost in the shuffle. Dunno, I'm not a businessperson & am kind of glad.

Coralgurl
12-10-2012, 01:38 AM
Ecotech has been great to deal with in the past, quick responses. I guess I'm more concerned about what happens once the warranty expires.

I wish ecotech would put more thought into their manuals, including trouble shooting problems and programming the lights. Hopefully gen2 has less issues but a google search shows this is quite common with the power supply. Then there's the fans. I guess I figured spending a bit more = better quality but I haven't seen any negatives posted on any other led systems. (well on canreef anyway not active on other forums)

Reef Pilot
12-10-2012, 01:44 AM
I have had my Radions for almost a year now, and so far, no problems, touch wood. But if they have a history with power supply problems, I am also concerned what happens when my warranty expires, which will be soon.

Where did you place your power supplies? Are they in a high heat area or near water? I have mine outside the canopy, away from any heat or moisture. I wonder if that makes a difference.

reefgirl189
12-10-2012, 01:51 AM
I have had my Radions for almost a year now, and so far, no problems, touch wood. But if they have a history with power supply problems, I am also concerned what happens when my warranty expires, which will be soon.

Where did you place your power supplies? Are they in a high heat area or near water? I have mine outside the canopy, away from any heat or moisture. I wonder if that makes a difference.

I have mine under the tank however they are far away from the sump, which is in the basement. They are housed next to the tunze power supplies. They are in a cool, dry, spot and I didn't think it would be an issue for anything electrical to be there.

Coralgurl
12-10-2012, 01:53 AM
Mine are on table beside the tank, no water or heat issues.

Borderjumper
12-10-2012, 01:55 AM

Mine are hanging on the wall well away from any splash.

I think these are more than just a ballast. After mine was replaced we opened up the bad one to see if there was anything obvious wrong ie a fuse or something. The fuse as fine but there's tons of circuit boards and transistor type thingies..I'm thinking maybe the drivers and dimming stuff is in there.

mike31154
12-10-2012, 01:57 AM
Ecotech has been great to deal with in the past, quick responses. I guess I'm more concerned about what happens once the warranty expires.

I wish ecotech would put more thought into their manuals, including trouble shooting problems and programming the lights. Hopefully gen2 has less issues but a google search shows this is quite common with the power supply. Then there's the fans. I guess I figured spending a bit more = better quality but I haven't seen any negatives posted on any other led systems. (well on canreef anyway not active on other forums)

Well, kudos to you for posting your issues & keeping reefers in the know. I suspect many folks that pay a lot of money for products from high end manufacturers just keep quiet & let it ride. As mentioned, I have kind of a love/hate relationship with EcoTech products as well. Love the pumps, but the MP40 wetsides could still use a little 'tweaking'. The upside is EcoTech product support is stellar. I'm with you on the manuals too, though. But if you devote sufficient effort in searching around their site for videos, downloads etc. you generally find what you need. If not, they take care of you pretty quick once you contact them. If one of my 10 watt multichip LEDs craps out, I'm hooped, although I can fix it myself fairly easily, I have spares...