PDA

View Full Version : So many carpet surfing stories .... we need a thread on "covering your tank"

gregzz4
06-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Why aren't more of us covering our tanks properly when we know full well that our critters are going to attempt to go for the moon sometime ?

I currently have eggcrate over my DT, but am going to build a mesh cover of some kind before I introduce my first fishies.
Besides the fact that it blocks light, I have seen some evidence ( thanks Kenny ) of corals becoming 'sun-tanned' with eggcrate
Why aren't more of us using something to properly protect our charges ?

So;

What are you using to cover your tank ?

What would you rather use to cover your tank ?

Spyd
06-16-2012, 10:42 AM
You can buy DIY Aquarium Screen Top Netting Kits from Bulk Reef Supply. They use a clear screen material. One of the only problems I could see when covering the top of your aquarium is salt creep. With the evaporation of your tank, I could see salt creep adhering to the screen and would be a bit of a pain to keep clean.

On the plus side, obviously, it keeps jumpers in your tank. Wrasse's are well known for jumping out to their demise.

DAVE
06-16-2012, 11:20 AM
You can buy DIY Aquarium Screen Top Netting Kits from Bulk Reef Supply. They use a clear screen material. One of the only problems I could see when covering the top of your aquarium is salt creep. With the evaporation of your tank, I could see salt creep adhering to the screen and would be a bit of a pain to keep clean.

On the plus side, obviously, it keeps jumpers in your tank. Wrasse's are well known for jumping out to their demise.

I use this screen on two tanks and there is no issue with salt creep.

Best method out there IMO

paddyob
06-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Covers pose their own issues. Lack of evaporation and gas exchange. Cords need holes. Lights. Removing.

I made a canopy "surround". Sides only. Most fish dont jump straight up but would be on some angle. My surround is about 8" on all sides. Have not lost a fish to the carpet since. Applied this to my old 20 g first when I lost my neon and firefish in a single evening.

paddyob
06-16-2012, 02:18 PM
I use this screen on two tanks and there is no issue with salt creep.

Best method out there IMO

Screen looks bad (IMO) and blocks light into the tank. I have yet to see a tank covered in egg crate or screen that was not a bit of an eyesore. Then again most people just slap together anything as a makeshift then never follow through on making it actually look good.

Ditching my first egg crate cover for a time dedicated canopy was a move up.

lastlight
06-16-2012, 02:23 PM
my clear netting from BRS is in transit. i have too many wrasses (i love) to take the risk any longer. a canopy wouldn't save a fish in this case because the back of the tank is open and my eurobrace is very wide and a great landing strip for fish.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-16-2012, 02:39 PM
I have glass tops which greatly cut down on evaporation which is great. It stops most of the jumps but some really determined ones will either find small gaps or hit the glass really, really hard and brain themselves. Arg:frusty:

daplatapus
06-16-2012, 03:02 PM
I found some netting at home depot and used their DIY screen rail with corners to make mine. Like paddyob said though, it sucks trying to get around equipment and cords over the sides of the tank. I had some 3/4 acrylic from a job I once did and actually made a 8" frame with it that sits on my tank and my light fixture sits on it. I originally did that to raise my light but once I saw it on there I scrapped my DIY screen I had and haven't lost a fish yet either.

monocus
06-16-2012, 03:07 PM
i built a vented canopy that matches my stand with pillars to hide my returns

sphelps
06-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Why aren't more of us covering our tanks properly when we know full well that our critters are going to attempt to go for the moon sometime ?

I just avoid fish that jump. Using eggcrate or a screen would ruin the look of a rimless tank. You have to find the balance between what keeps your fish safe and healthy and what looks good in your living room. If I had an in-wall tank or closed canopy I would certainly use some kind of screen so I could keep other kinds of fish.

Screens don't guaranty anything either, seen fish jump through them and get stuck on top, if they had not been a screen the fish would have been fine. Closed canopies are also no guaranty, seen fish jump and get suck on bracing or even the trim of the tank.

dc4
06-16-2012, 04:34 PM
I bought bird netting from home depot and staple gunned it to my canopy openings. Must have for any wrasses, its already saved me a few a them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Mandosh
06-16-2012, 06:01 PM
BRS 1/4" Clear Netting with cheap RONA black window screen kits.

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx32/mandosh86/2012-06-16105525.jpg

noirsphynx
06-16-2012, 06:47 PM
I have lots of jumpers......6 wrasses and a helfrich's. I built screen covers for my tank with screen frame kits from Rona and 1/4" clear screen mesh from Bulk Reef Supply. I had my tank built without bracing and a trimless top so I asked the builder to add an inside drop down "trim" which looks like black silicone on the outside of the tank.
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt191/noirsphynx/file-34.jpg
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt191/noirsphynx/file-35.jpg
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt191/noirsphynx/file-36.jpg

DAVE
06-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Screen looks bad (IMO) and blocks light into the tank. I have yet to see a tank covered in egg crate or screen that was not a bit of an eyesore. Then again most people just slap together anything as a makeshift then never follow through on making it actually look good.

Ditching my first egg crate cover for a time dedicated canopy was a move up.
\

Sorry, but the clear screen at BRS does not block any measurable amount of light.

Cal_stir
06-16-2012, 08:20 PM
I glued plastic strips on the back of my screens to cut holes in for pipes and cords, same plastic as the glass kits.

jtbadco
06-16-2012, 08:34 PM
I know I'll prolly get flack for this but I have always had glass lids on my tanks.
I'm sure the lids block light to some degree but my tank is doing well and its never been an issue.

subman
06-17-2012, 02:48 AM
I've never had any top on any tanks and the only fish I lost was due to it going through the over flow then out of the sump. It really depends on what fish you keep I think.

kien
10-26-2012, 03:12 PM
I have a lot of jumping wrasses too and went the mesh screen route (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=527917&postcount=501). Works great and have not lost a single jumper since installing it. I also borrwwed a PAR meter to test any loss of light and didn't measure any loss on the PAR meter. Also no salt creep on the screen either.

It's a easy DIY project that can save lives! Heck, if you buy the materials I will gladly spend the 30 minutes to build one for you!