PDA

View Full Version : AEFW?

Seriak
06-15-2012, 07:48 PM
Well one of my SPS has white blotches all over it. It looks to me like the classic case of AEFW. Not sure where I would have gotten it. What do you guys think? This frag has been in my tank for months and I only recently added a couple accro frags. Is a week enough to start seeing these marks or does it take longer? Are white blotches a sign of anything else?

Sorry for the crappy pic.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-BefKefa9Iew/T9uR_-eBhmI/AAAAAAAAB2I/Px2FHdIuegY/s640/IMG_20120615_134935.jpg

Aquattro
06-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Can you remove the piece? If so, dip it in revive or similar. At least blow on it to dry the tissue, if you have the worms, you'll see shiny disks.
Another sign would be the egg masses at the base of corals.

Seriak
06-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Would a fresh water dip work as well.? Not to concerned about the one frag just want to know if I have them. I have seen no signs of eggs so far.

Aquattro
06-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Would a fresh water dip work as well.? Not to concerned about the one frag just want to know if I have them. I have seen no signs of eggs so far.

Yes, a FW dip would dislodge worms if they were on the frag. If you match the temp reasonably well, a quick FW dip won't be too bad, frag could recover if healthy.

Seriak
06-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Okay I can't see any worms coming off. I killed a portion of the frag quite well looking. Will a coral that is losing its brown, color up in a blotchy pattern. I don't see any necrosis or eggs anywhere in the tank. Now if I can figure this one out I can move to the three aiptasia I just noticed in my tank. And it looks like my blug tang is getting ich again. May have to treat him again too. Man bad day to come home and stare at the tank.

SteveConn
06-15-2012, 09:10 PM
How about Flatworm exit? I had what turned out to be the more harmless variety in my tank.. a plague of them. I used flatworm exit (higher end of the dose) in a tank full of LPS and SPS. Followed the directions re: water changes, skimming and carbon filtration and haven't seen any in months

Aquattro
06-15-2012, 09:42 PM
How about Flatworm exit?

Doesn't work on AEFW

dreef
06-15-2012, 09:45 PM
I would NEVER ever fresh water dip an acropora. I have quickly dipped LPS and softies to rid them of harmless flatworms.

SteveConn
06-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Sorry, I thought it worked on all flatworms...

This site: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/mc/index.php
talks about levamisole hydrochloride as an effective treatment. Worth a read.

Good luck with your treatments. Cant imagine the anguish of watching this happen!

Aquattro
06-15-2012, 10:20 PM
Sorry, I thought it worked on all flatworms...

This site: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/mc/index.php
talks about levamisole hydrochloride as an effective treatment. Worth a read.

Good luck with your treatments. Cant imagine the anguish of watching this happen!

It's only a treatment outside if the tank. In tank, you're pretty much screwed. Some people have some luck keeping them in check with various predators, but nothing gets rid of them completely, except stripping the tank of all SPS, treating for whatever the recommended treatment is, and leaving the tank without SPS for some period of time.

This is THE reason to proactively dip any new acquisition!!

Snappy
06-16-2012, 12:00 AM
I suggest using Coral RX. If you have flatworms you will need to dip all sps you have in your system and then again in another week to confirm you got them all the first time. Then depending on how it goes you may need to do it a 3rd time however dipping can be very stressful to the corals.