PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Biocube 8 Gallon Set Up

Leach29
06-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Hi everyone, I have just aquired a Oceanic BioCube 8 gallon.

I'm looking for any advice on what to do? what not to do?
I have read that I should upgrade to a Hydor-flo for the return nozzel? and get a media rack ? does anyone have any of these for sale?

Any suggestions are welcomed.

This is my first time with something this small, and I am planning on having some softies in there as well.

Thank you

Flash
06-14-2012, 04:03 PM
I just added a a hydor nano powderhead under my baffle and it worked great!

gobytron
06-14-2012, 05:11 PM
I've had a lot of experience with Biocubes and Aquapods.

I have a couple of reccomendations based on my experience.
Others may have differing opinions so ask around as much as possible.

A hydor deflector is the best 12$ you will spend, they can be finnicky but they are still well worth the money and time investment.
Change your pump to a MJ900. You wont need the Koralia Nano then but it will kill any potential dead spots if you do add one.

Forget the media rack.
Waste of money and time.
2 of the chambers in the back should be left empty for easy cleaning and add water volume.

One chamber should be packed with LR rubble, this makes for an insane amount of surface area for bacteria as well as an awesome, safe home for a bustling pod population.

If you do anything with the rear chambers besides this or in addition to it, look up some of the DIY refugeums (with Chaeto, any other algae will like grow to aggressively or go sexual which is doom for a small tank)that people have done, they are cheap, easy and will just add to the ability of your tank to operate seamlessly.

No need for a skimmer either. One wont hurt, but in a tank as small as this, you'll want to keep up with your water changes often enough that skimming will only make a negligible difference.

When you think doing a 1 gallon water change a week should be enough on an 8 gallon tank, you can see why I recommend to just skip a skimmer...especially if you do have a fuge and trim algae for nutrient export.

I am also a big proponent of a dsb (deep sand bed) in small tanks, a good mix of grain size is best...these sand beds are easy to clean and maintain in smaller systems...4 or 5 inches should suffice.

I have been running the same aquapod 12 for 6 or 7 years with this set up...it is completely bullet proof.

Snaz
06-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Great to see another Canadian nano reefer join us!

Is this your first saltwater tank? What stage is it in right now? Does it have water and rock? Gobytron's suggestions are spot on, he as lots of experience with these type of AIO(All In One) tanks. Other than perhaps the upgraded return pump I would not worry to much about customization at this point, get it filled, go slowly and read LOTS!

Nano-reef.com is a fantastic forum for nano tanks and has a great AIO section that probably has LOTS of information on your brand. Ask questions here or on NR and don't be shy.

Leach29
06-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Thank you all for your great input, I definatly needed some direction from people that knew there stuff!

I just got the 8 gallon, there is no water in it yet. I have base rock that has been out of water for a while, so I will be adding some live rock to seed the base rock. As far as substrate you said use a mixture ? any brand or type that is better than others?

This is not my first Saltwater Tank, I run a 92 gallon with 40 gallon sump full reef setup. I have had this setup for about 6 months now, and had a 55 setup for over a year before that. Not a total NOOB but always learning and wanting to learn more!

Snaz
07-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Thank you all for your great input, I definatly needed some direction from people that knew there stuff!

I just got the 8 gallon, there is no water in it yet. I have base rock that has been out of water for a while, so I will be adding some live rock to seed the base rock. As far as substrate you said use a mixture ? any brand or type that is better than others?

This is not my first Saltwater Tank, I run a 92 gallon with 40 gallon sump full reef setup. I have had this setup for about 6 months now, and had a 55 setup for over a year before that. Not a total NOOB but always learning and wanting to learn more!

Update? How did you make out?