PDA

View Full Version : Help with Starting a Biocube 8

Leach29
06-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Hi everyone, I have just aquired a Oceanic BioCube 8 gallon.

I'm looking for any advice on what to do? what not to do?
I have read that I should upgrade to a Hydor-flo for the return nozzel? and get a media rack ? does anyone have any of these for sale?

Any suggestions are welcomed.

This is my first time with something this small, and I am planning on having some softies in there as well.

Thank you

Ginu
06-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Hi everyone, I have just aquired a Oceanic BioCube 8 gallon.

I'm looking for any advice on what to do? what not to do?
I have read that I should upgrade to a Hydor-flo for the return nozzel? and get a media rack ? does anyone have any of these for sale?

Any suggestions are welcomed.

This is my first time with something this small, and I am planning on having some softies in there as well.

Thank you

The best way to start in this hobby is by reading, and when I say reading I mean never stop reading... and when you think you've read enough I would really strongly suggest going back to reading some more....
Second tip - start slow and take your time and never rush, let the tank cycle with live sand and live rock and add things slowly and don't overstock
I suggest searching for some Biocube 8 threads on Google and see what people have done and how they started the tank and what kind of issues they ran into. The Nano thread has some ideas, however I find its not superpopulated.
And in a tank that size I suggest keeping on top of water changes and dont skip out a week without changing 10-20% of the water and make sure you use RO/Di water to minimize any issues down the road.

Remember always read and research... personally ive made a few mistakes in purchasing certain corals/critter while at the LSF without reading up and sadly they never end up in my favor... Some fish is not compatible with reefs and some corals require too much work and adequate lightning; always do your research before buying :)

Edit: I've noticed you started a thread in the Nano section and I suggest asking questions there as this is the trading forum :) and keep up a blog on your Nano thread as some members will be able to give you pointers and suggestions as time goes on.

Davidbugera
06-14-2012, 11:51 PM
Or buy a box beer and find someone with lots of experience get them tippsy and let them spill there guts of wisdom

spit.fire
06-15-2012, 01:00 AM
With just softies throw in 1.5" of sand, some liverock, throw out the bio cube filter cartridge, fill the back with bio media, throw a korilia nano in and you're good to go, 2g water change twice a month and you'll do fine, just don't rush anything and only put 1 or 2 fish in that stay under 2" after the tank is fully cycled or no fish at all and do an invert tank